Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Women Should Not Run (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13347)

BendtheBar 04-17-2013 08:16 AM

Women Should Not Run

Posting for discussion:

Why Women Should Not Run

Quote:

Studies—both clinical and observational—make a compelling case that too much cardio can impair the production of the thyroid hormone T3, its effectiveness and metabolism[1-11], particularly when accompanied by caloric restriction, an all too common practice.
Quote:

Nothing exemplifies this increasing efficiency better than the way the body starts burning fuel. Training consistently at 65 percent or more of your max heart rate adapts your body to save as much body fat as possible.
Quote:

This “cardio craze” is a form of insanity, and it’s on my hit list. I’m determined to kill it. There are better ways to lose fat, and there are better ways to look good.

5kgLifter 04-17-2013 08:23 AM

I think it's a bit more complex than what the article would have us believe. With the thyroid issue, I don't know, many people suffer thyroid problems from differing causes, it has been said previously, however, that SSC can cause an increase in bodyfat and has been seen to do so.

Hunterace 04-17-2013 08:29 AM

Yes, women shouldn't run...easier to catch :D

leefarley 04-17-2013 09:22 AM

i think they should run, makes there boobies bounce up and down.

dossas 04-17-2013 10:59 AM

Just women?? Would it be the same for men.

BigJosh 04-17-2013 11:13 AM

With all the cooking and house cleaning they should be doing they should have no time to run.:)

We have a "bike trail" here locally. After the baby was born Kelly was on the bike trail doing a sort of run walk interval training, while pushing the baby in a jogging stroller. Some girls actually stopped her to explain that there nutrionist told them not to run because it can tilt there uterus.

I guess nutrionists are now qualified female anonatomy experts....

5kgLifter 04-17-2013 11:37 AM

The common wisdom held that a woman was not physiologically capable of running mile after mile; that she wouldn't be able to bear children; that her uterus would fall out; that she might grow a mustache; that she was a man, or wanted to be one.

How the Women Won - New York Times

dossas 04-17-2013 11:44 AM

If my wife and I are both Leo's, shouldn't SHE be the one doing all the running to bring home the food??

And I...well...do nothing really except eat first and protect the home??

JK

BendtheBar 04-17-2013 11:53 AM

I am really torn about this topic. I have profiled over 100-200 top female lifters. They generally do a lot of steady state and look amazing. I have never seen one of them talk about rebound issues other than the general weight gain that comes from some carb rebound, and just flat out wanting to relax for a couple weeks and eat "normally" again.

I am not trying to bash the study(s) by any means, but I am not certain that choosing the steady state life is a bad option. These women all talk about how great they feel, and how lifting and cardio have changed their lives.

Bringing this up because there are more variables at play here with health and happiness.

Jamesw 04-17-2013 01:50 PM

My wife lost over 60lbs with weight training and running. I never encouraged her to run but she loves it.

If you look at folks who just do steady state, they can be thin but they are soft IMO.