Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Squat Machine: Feet High vs. Feet Low (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13210)

1morerep 04-04-2013 07:49 PM

Squat Machine: Feet High vs. Feet Low

Squat Machine: Feet High vs. Feet Low

Where you place your feet when on the squat machine affects how effectively you isolate the teardrop of the quads!

By Jimmy Peña, MS, CSCS

Feet High

A squat machine is a good addition to any repertoire, and if your gym has one, we strongly suggest you use it to bombard your legs. The squat machine allows for varying ranges of motion, helping you perform all sorts of intensity techniques like partials and rest-pause tactics without the need for a spotter. One important key is to keep your feet flat on the platform throughout the exercise. It’s also helpful if your shoes have flat surfaces to help prevent your feet from shifting or slipping. Often, the platforms on squat machines are a bit slippery, and if your shoes have jagged-edges on the soles, they can glide during the set.

Feet Low

One mistake bodybuilders make when using the squat press is to “lift” the machine with their upper body rather than pressing through the platform. It’s important to think of this exercise as a leg press in reverse. While keeping your upper body strong, with your abs in tight, back flat against the pad and chest big, all of the emphasis needs to be transferred to your legs. You do that best when you’re pressing “through” your feet. Avoid using your hands to press the apparatus off your shoulders, but rather allow the pads to rest comfortably upon your shoulders. Also avoid overextending or flexing your neck during the move, and instead try and keep your head neutral and your eyes focused forward. This will help protect your cervical spine from undue stress and strain.

Advantage: Feet Low

The squat machine is a multijoint, compound move that helps you blast your entire lower body. The hamstrings, glutes and quads are all called into play no matter the range of motion employed. If you want to stress your hamstrings and glutes to a greater degree, place your feet high and wide. The reason it brings in the hams and glutes better is because you have greater hip extension at the top of the move, making it easier to fully engage those powerful muscles. But if it’s your front quads you’re focusing on, keep your feet lower on the platform. With your feet low and slightly narrow, you can target the vastus lateralis and also blast the teardrop (or medialis) muscle with laserlike accuracy. In fact, its counterpart, the leg press, is the best exercise in the gym at targeting the teardrop and the squat machine is a good mimic of the leg press in many ways, making it this month’s winner.

brad1224 04-04-2013 07:51 PM

Great read and totally agree

TitanCT 04-05-2013 08:01 AM

high, low, wide or close stance. all changes what you target on a leg or squat press.

1morerep 04-05-2013 09:21 AM

Yes sir...and in my humble opinion we should do all of of them to keep the body guessing. Some more than other depending on your specification training but that's topic for other day...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 346295)
high, low, wide or close stance. all changes what you target on a leg or squat press.

TitanCT 04-05-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1morerep (Post 346323)
Yes sir...and in my humble opinion we should do all of of them to keep the body guessing. Some more than other depending on your specification training but that's topic for other day...

noooo my teardrops dominate my legs...freaking weird ass genetics!

1morerep 04-05-2013 11:30 AM

LoL... Funny GUY ahh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 346361)
noooo my teardrops dominate my legs...freaking weird ass genetics!