Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   BIG E-Book (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Q&A: Ask Jonathan Byrd (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12651)

BendtheBar 02-26-2013 01:24 AM

Q&A: Ask Jonathan Byrd

Ask JB anything...

begota 02-26-2013 01:39 AM

JB,

Have you ever taken a lengthy break from lifting? If so, how long, and what was your biggest motivation to get in the gym?

MikeM 02-26-2013 01:54 AM

Where did your theories of lifting come from? Explain "smart old school lifting" or simple linear periodization or whatever it is you do.

J_Byrd 02-26-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begota (Post 329500)
JB,

Have you ever taken a lengthy break from lifting? If so, how long, and what was your biggest motivation to get in the gym?

I am not sure if I have missed more than a week since I started at age 14. Some of that time was spent doing some really unproductive training though. I started lifting for football, and started training with a group of powerlifters when I was 17. I was strong for a high school kid, but needed a lot of form advice. In college our training program wasnt great by any means. Initially my biggest motivation was lifting to get a scholarship to play football. After college I played in the Arena league, so lifting became a way to help me make money. At this point I lift because I have in my mind that one day I will be one of the strongest people to ever compete in powerlifting. Honestly its something I live, breath, eat, sleep, dream about!

So the short answer is this, even after two major surgery I found a way to train the next week. As motivation, I want to be the strongest man on the planet :D

J_Byrd 02-26-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 329501)
Where did your theories of lifting come from? Explain "smart old school lifting" or simple linear periodization or whatever it is you do.

The theories and ideas I work from in training are just an evolution of things I have been taught from my training partners over the years. It is simply an adaption to a basic linear periodization. We just simply find a starting point, and develop a base using a higher rep range. We work down using a few basic rules each week. You have to factor in several things as your rep ranges drop (speed, wear and tear, volume, auxiliary work). The middle range reps 3-6 are what we use to determine where we will peak at over the last few weeks. To peak we use rep ranges 1-3 and limit the volume of auxiliary work. It really works under the KISS method(Keep it simple stupid). If you look at any training program from guys like Kaz, or Coan, and it looks similar to what I suggest. I have never trained with, or trained someone who did not make solid progress under an adapted version of this model. Dont take this as I am saying other methods dont work, because of course they do, but I just feel this method lends well to gaining strength.

joewhitney21 03-08-2013 12:18 PM

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck?

J_Byrd 03-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joewhitney21 (Post 333784)
Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck?

1 horse sized duck....100 seems like too much cardio, I would have to move around.

bamazav 03-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 333786)
1 horse sized duck....100 seems like too much cardio, I would have to move around.

Have your kids fix some food, gather the 100 around the table, and then surprise them.

MikeM 03-09-2013 12:34 AM

Best Ab movements. What is most effective and here do you put it?
Also, need some cardio/explosive movement work (Sprints, hills, sled, etc.), where does that go?

BigJosh 03-09-2013 07:03 PM

I am just a guy who's goal is to be to be big and strong. I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. Is your program suited toward my goal?

Also, I am currently on a diet geared toward losing fat. I do not always eat this way, I usually eat to gain. Can I do your program while on my fat loss diet or should I wait until I am once again eating to gain?