Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diet Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   LD Carb Backloads (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12581)

linedriver465 02-21-2013 10:01 AM

LD Carb Backloads

After reading Kiefer's CBL 1.0 back to front about ten times, I'm going to experiment with carb backloading.

With spring break in ~2.5 weeks, I'll be in the strength accumulation phase - afterwards I'll transition to density bulking. Debating on competing again in May, but I'm still on the fence....

2/21/13
Current weight: 175.0lbs
Waist: 31.5-31.75

Note: I start CBL last week and managed to drop down to 170.3 w/ a 31 in waist, but for some reason my weight creeped back up to pre-CBL weight (luckily no significant gain)

This is going to push me to go by the mirror and how I feel, which should hopefully help wean me off of counting calories (using the my fitness pal app). and using my instinct.

linedriver465 02-21-2013 10:04 AM

2/20: Bench and CBL day

Ate ULC before lifting w/ ~70g protein and fat respectively. Had a decent workout. Ate 2 cups of sugary cereal and 1.5 scoops whey immediately post-WO

About an hour last had 1/4 of a baked potato, and went to a mexican restaurant (lots of salty chips, salsa, 3 chicken and spinach enchiladas, rice, little sour cream).

Finished off the night with 2 scoops whey, 1.5 cups almond milk, and 4 servings of cinnamon toast crunch.

Weight change (morning of 2/20 to 2/21): +1.2 lbs
It was hard to estimate carbs in the mexican meal but I feel like I hit about 400g yesterday, but woke up feeling/looking a little soft. Could be all the salt in the food too.

Today is ULC so aiming for 170g fat and 170g protein w/ <30g net carbs

Breakfast and Lunch meals were pre-workout and Dinner was post-workout
http://i.imgur.com/5JubjjG.jpg

linedriver465 02-21-2013 10:14 AM

My recent backloads have been pretty heavily weighted on shitty kids cereals. For tomorrow's CBL I'm going to eat a "cleaner" backload with white potato french fries. Gonna shoot for 2g/lb of bw (which would be considerably lower than kiefers recommendation).

BigJosh 02-21-2013 10:21 AM

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I have done some CBL. Currently I'm doing low carb everyday in an effort to shed pounds, but I will go gack to CBL in the late spring. I haven't read the book, is it worth it?
Good luck!

linedriver465 02-21-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 327397)
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I have done some CBL. Currently I'm doing low carb everyday in an effort to shed pounds, but I will go gack to CBL in the late spring. I haven't read the book, is it worth it?
Good luck!

When you say low carb, how low carb are you talking?

I had been going the lowish carb route (100-150g/day), training 4-5x week, but I seemed to have stopped around 173lbs despite lowering my cals to 2750, which is quite low for my age/weight/activity level. The first few days of introducing high carb days back in to my diet, I dropped to 170.3lbs and looked lean as hell. I think my one night of heavy beer drinking threw everything off.

Many people report fat loss and strength gain during strength accumulation. I know I'm relatively lean already, but what can I say, it's my last spring break and I wanna look guuuud. However, after spring break it's time for density bulking which claims to add muscle with minimal fat gain.

linedriver465 02-22-2013 10:50 AM

2/21: ULC day - 2100 cals, 141g fat (69g saturated), 20g net carbs, and 183g protein

Morning felt good, but I think I was teetering between ketosis and non-ketosis all day. Brain was cloudy and I got a wicked headache in the evening - slept after class and work (5-6:30pm) but couldn't shake the tiredness enough to go out for my friend's bday. Urine smells strong but I heard that's part of ketosis....

2/22 Morning weight: 173.6 -> dropped some water weight but still feeling a bit puffy. Today is CBL for Squat day, so depending on my workout I'm gonna go conservative and stick with 1.5-2g carbs/lb of bw post workout.

linedriver465 02-23-2013 10:21 AM

2/23: Woke up at 172.6lbs after a high carb day (-1.0lb from the previous day)
Are 3500 cals - 141g fat, 369g carbs, and 216g protein

Looking tighter everywhere but the midsection - for some reason there's still some water retention there.

linedriver465 02-24-2013 07:27 PM

2/23 was a ULC day since I didn't train - came in under 30g carbs and woke up this morning weighing 171.8lbs despite drinking ~7 beers over the course of last night.

Been eating two overripe bananas post workout instead of dextrose - gonna try that for a little while and see what happens.

linedriver465 02-25-2013 09:35 AM

2/24 was a high carb day on OHD-press + accessory day

Woke up at 170.6lbs! I lost 7lbs between bed and waking this morning - was sweating like crazy and woke up two times to use the bathroom (usually I only wake up once) :/

However, looking lean and feeling good this morning - last night's carbs definitely treated me well - girl scout cookies, ice cream, jolly rancher lollipops, cinnamon toast crunch, and hot chocolate.

Post workout with whey and overripe bananas doesn't seem to be hurting.

BigJosh 02-25-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linedriver465 (Post 327425)
When you say low carb, how low carb are you talking?

I am talking between 30-60 grams a day.