Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   deadlift off blocks ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12276)

abett07 01-22-2013 05:48 PM

deadlift off blocks ?

Does deadlifting the bar from some type of raised platform have any benefits over deadlifting from the floor for building strength ?

To me it just looks like cheating and I assume results in a number of muscles not being worked properly

Thanks for any response

LtL 01-22-2013 05:53 PM

From certain heights you will pull less than you do from the floor from a lack of leverage. From other heights you will pull more and the overload will make you stronger. The best deadlifters pull from all sorts of heights and in all sorts of variations. It will make you stronger.

BendtheBar 01-22-2013 06:22 PM

Deadlifting off of blocks works the deadlift effectively for me and it is easier on my system than floor pulling.

I rarely pull from the floor anymore. Most of my pulls are from 3" blocks.

If it's cheating, I am a cheater who can double 700 pounds, and who has monster traps, erectors and a thick back.

evilinmotion 01-22-2013 06:35 PM

When I started Powerlifting My Deadlift when up failry quick until I got to 500 then I was stuck there for a while. After I was introduced to rack pulls and deficits by someone that told me where my weakness was, I got up to 550 very quick and 605 came shortly after...now I am on the way there again...

Fazc 01-22-2013 06:35 PM

Who would you possibly be cheating? lol

Partials are a good exercise, they'll strength the whole back without being limited by the legs.

abett07 01-22-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 315649)
Who would you possibly be cheating? lol

Partials are a good exercise, they'll strength the whole back without being limited by the legs.

I thought it might be like not doing a full rep on the bench press or not squatting to parallel.Obviously I was wrong about this one

Fazc 01-22-2013 06:57 PM

Well different strokes for different folks.

Ask your personal trainers?

tank316 01-22-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 315639)
Deadlifting off of blocks works the deadlift effectively for me and it is easier on my system than floor pulling.

I rarely pull from the floor anymore. Most of my pulls are from 3" blocks.

If it's cheating, I am a cheater who can double 700 pounds, and who has monster traps, erectors and a thick back.

Same here, Rack Deads are a blast!!! And yes, pulling from different heights are a great way to increase over all power for deads.
What I did in the past from the floor, I went abit lighter, yet focusing on the tempo from the floor to mid shin area...TUT...time under tension. Proper mechanics are key! :biglifter:

Soldier 01-22-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 315661)
I thought it might be like not doing a full rep on the bench press or not squatting to parallel.Obviously I was wrong about this one

Partial lifts are actually good on all three lifts, to be honest, depending on your level of experience and your current weaknesses. I love rack pulls. I even used really high rack pulls (I only moved the bar a few inches to lock out) to train my grip and get used to holding super heavy weights. I would pull well over my max, then hold it for as long as possible.

As for partial squats, I love doing them from pins. I'd set the bar so it was about 6 inches above where it would be for parallel, then get underneath and push the sucker up. I was able to work up to weights upwards of 80lb over my squatting max, and it hit my quads HARD. It also have me a chance to work on different spine angles to see what worked best to move serious weights.

As for partial bench press, just go to youtube and look up board presses. They are awesome for getting used to holding heavy weights and building up both triceps and lockout strength.

Of course, if you're weak or have form issues holding you back, partial lifts are pretty useless. You need to be fairly strong before you'll really get anything out of partials.

abett07 01-23-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 315663)
Well different strokes for different folks.

Ask your personal trainers?

My doctor told me to stop talking to the personal trainers at my gym.