Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Resources (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   What is correct form for the leg press? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12275)

SCStrong 01-22-2013 04:42 PM

What is correct form for the leg press?

My gym has a leg press on which the platform is flat at the bottom and angled at the top? I see folks using it both ways..... which is correct. Personally, I have short legs and the angled top position does not work well for me. I seem to get more quad involvement in the lower position.

Also, I hear a lot of talk about back injuries from the leg press- How is this possible? When I perform this - my back is flat against the seat. Am I wrong?:confused:

BigJosh 01-22-2013 04:54 PM

I am not sure about the foot placement. I am of the opinion you should do what's comfortable. I think there is very little difference as far is how it targets the leg muscles. Just my take.
As far as back injury, I believe that occurs when the butt leaves the seat at the bottom of the press. Based on my observations this is a not uncommon gym goer mistake and a risky one.

MC 01-22-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 315592)
Also, I hear a lot of talk about back injuries from the leg press- How is this possible? When I perform this - my back is flat against the seat. Am I wrong?:confused:

For leg injuries, I could see guys locking out hard or something like that or letting the weight slam down on them--those are recipes for disaster.

As far as back issues -- I have chronic back issues and different leg press machines feel completely different on my back. I can load 2 plates per side and do 5 reps and tell if I am ever going to be able to use one. There are 3 in my gym. I can only use one of them without discomfort.

On the leg press I use, the back angle is adjustable, foot platform is not. I've read articles that talked about toes straight, angled-in, and angled-out for different purposes.

SCStrong 01-22-2013 05:15 PM

The one I have the back nor the platform are adjustable.

Soldier 01-22-2013 09:00 PM

People try to get too much range of motion at the bottom of the leg press. Their pelvis tilts back and their butt tucks under. This is a horrible position, and the reason most people can't get a good deep squat. Limit the range of motion so your back stays on the seat and you won't move the weights very far, but you'll be much safer.

These issues are the reason I don't go heavy on leg press. I use it for higher reps, anywhere from 12-50 rep sets. Don't lock your knees at the top so the tension stays on the muscle and you'll get an awesome burn in your quads. Good stuff.

Oh, and don't put your feet too low. Other than that, just get where you feel comfortable.

Trevor Lane 01-23-2013 08:20 AM

The proper form for leg presses is :squat:

SCStrong 01-23-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 315828)
The proper form for leg presses is :squat:

Yes but we use the leg press as assistance work so :squat: will get bigger :ms:

BendtheBar 01-23-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 315733)
People try to get too much range of motion at the bottom of the leg press. Their pelvis tilts back and their butt tucks under.

I think I have this issue on leg presses. I see guys doing 1/8th reps with one thousand pounds and my inner deep squatter wants to do ATG with 1000 pounds, but it always ends up tweaking something.

hercules455 04-22-2013 08:29 PM

You should be around 90 degrees when you lower the weight to your chest. Don't go so deep that your lower back comes off the bench because this could lead to an injury. Foot placement will hit different parts of your quads. With a norrow stance you will put more focus on the outer quads. Put your feet high on the platform and push all your heels you hit a lot more hamstring.

big valsalva 08-16-2013 09:21 PM

...also, try to avoid knock knee syndrome. I went to an ACL injury seminar last weekend. One of the take home points was "knees out when you squat, jump, or land."