Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Brandon Lilly Quote (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11177)

BendtheBar 09-21-2012 07:24 AM

Brandon Lilly Quote

Brandon Lilly quote from Facebook.

Quote:

I think if you leg press more than you squat or shrug more than you Deadlift you're an attention whoring egotistical douche. Do weights on lifts that really matter.
Quote:

If you shrug 1300 your probably a sorry ass poet that wishes you were a cannibal and have a massive case of gyno, and live with your mom and dad. Basically you're pathetic.

J_Byrd 09-21-2012 07:28 AM

I leg press all the time with injuries. I typically agree with Brandon, but this time....cant say I do. :D

MC 09-21-2012 07:33 AM

<-- completely an attention whoring douche. Totally.

BendtheBar 09-21-2012 07:36 AM

I disagree on both counts. The power shrug, and the rack pull and power shrug combo have been exercises I have used frequently over the years. I think they can be a good tool for some, and are much easier to recover from. I used them on my light days last year, when I was pulling 3x a week. I also did a lot of heavy shrugs the year my deadlift moved from 565 to 675. I was really only doing shrugs, high pulls with 50% max, and high rep sumo deads. They have provided value at times over the years.

Regarding leg press, some people have weak quads and find them hard to build with squats. I've talked to a few lifters who squat yet don't have amazing quad strength. I see no harm in using the leg press, maybe 15-20 rep sets, to blast the quads and try and bring up overall quad strength.

MC 09-21-2012 07:58 AM

As JB said, I've used the leg press since my back attack a year ago, along with a modified SLDL, as my primary leg builders. 28.5" quad currently.

But what do I know?

The whole "my lifting is more manly than your lifting" reveals some deep seeded insecurities if you ask me (in general and in this instance).

RobMoriRB 09-21-2012 08:01 AM

It is kind of funny to read tho lmao

J_Byrd 09-21-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobMoriRB (Post 278638)
It is kind of funny to read tho lmao

This is true lol!

At the end of the day, I think he is refering to people who brag about how big their leg press numbers are, or shurgs. Rather than focus on the goal of the movement.

BendtheBar 09-21-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 278639)
This is true lol!

At the end of the day, I think he is refering to people who brag about how big their leg press numbers are, or shurgs. Rather than focus on the goal of the movement.

You're probably right. I don't know the guy well enough to comment.

I get a bit trigger happy over some of the bully-style comments that occur in powerlifting. If you do X you're an effing whatever. Too much of that going on. I assumed Mr. Lilly was simply on the attack in this manner.

Bill 09-21-2012 08:39 AM

in high school i was able to leg press 1000lbs,knees to chest for reps.....not going squat anywhere near that.

as for shrugs, i agree. most guys shrugging more than they pull aren't really shrugging, they are trying to hump the bar into a 1" rom

J_Byrd 09-21-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 278642)
You're probably right. I don't know the guy well enough to comment.

I get a bit trigger happy over some of the bully-style comments that occur in powerlifting. If you do X you're an effing whatever. Too much of that going on. I assumed Mr. Lilly was simply on the attack in this manner.

I think your description of the comment is dead on. Lots of the tough guy attitude.