Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Low Carb & Paleo Diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Question for those experienced with Paleo/Low Carb (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10882)

IronManlet 08-19-2012 05:46 PM

Question for those experienced with Paleo/Low Carb

The past few weeks I've been going ketogenic; consuming no more than ~30g of carbs per day and maximizing fat/protein intake. I've also been combining this with IF, eating two large meals per day.

My question is: Would you still be able to fuel lean mass/strength gains on Paleo without going full keto? i.e. Keeping in more veg/fruit in the diet and therefore not falling into ketosis on a regular basis?

bruteforce 08-20-2012 02:01 PM

You probably could, but you wouldn't want to bounce in and out of ketosis a lot. Each switch over takes several days before I start to feel human again.

JacktheThriller 08-20-2012 06:46 PM

Its pretty common that 130g/day of carbohydrate prevents ketosis from happening. I wouldn't ride the line between ketone and glucose based systems as you will end up breaking down a lot of protein to generate glucose. Pick which ever system you train and gain better on and stay in that system. Paleo doesnt have to be a mid carb diet it can be a high carb diet it is just a limitation of sources of food.

IronManlet 08-20-2012 10:01 PM

Yeah, I figured. You'd have to be eating a lot of vegetables, etc to make up for a lack of starchy carbs unless you include tubers.

BendtheBar 08-20-2012 10:03 PM

Maybe you guys could explain ketosis for those reading, and how someone knows when/if it is achieved.

I sure in the heck don't know.

IronManlet 08-20-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 269949)
Maybe you guys could explain ketosis for those reading, and how someone knows when/if it is achieved.

I sure in the heck don't know.

Ketosis is basically a state wherein your body has low supplies of glycogen due to a high fat/protein and low carb food intake. For most people, this is achieved by keeping net carb intake around 30-50g per day maximum. Ketosis will usually begin after a few days of this eating pattern.

When you're in ketosis, your liver starts to produce glycogen as your muscles cease storing it. Your body utilizes the fat in its system, along with your dietary fat, to produce ketones in the body - reservoirs of fat energy - to draw on for fuel in place of glycogen.

It's technically a much more efficient energy source, and your body is better at metabolizing it. You also end up shedding water weight/fat in short order while still maintaining muscle mass/strength.

bamazav 08-21-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheThriller (Post 269888)
Its pretty common that 130g/day of carbohydrate prevents ketosis from happening.

This is not locked in stone. When I last ate low carb, 100 g would move me out of ketosis. It varies from person to person.

Fazc 08-21-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 269809)
You probably could, but you wouldn't want to bounce in and out of ketosis a lot. Each switch over takes several days before I start to feel human again.

It does get easier the more you do it, that's my experience anyway.

In regards to the original question, ketosis isn't necessary or the goal in itself. It's just a by product of what happens with that kind of diet.

BendtheBar 08-21-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

My question is: Would you still be able to fuel lean mass/strength gains on Paleo without going full keto?
I think IM that if you train hard enough and are eating plenty of food, you're going to gain mass with whatever system you use.

JacktheThriller 08-21-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 269993)
This is not locked in stone. When I last ate low carb, 100 g would move me out of ketosis. It varies from person to person.

You are completely correct there is quite a lot of variation. The 130g Carb is based on averages of regular (couch potatoes) people. My base point I think is valid that you don't want to ride the line between the 2 energy systems due to the potential protein losses.