Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Workouts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   5/3/1 Fullbody for Beginners (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7268)

BendtheBar 09-08-2011 07:32 AM

5/3/1 Fullbody for Beginners

5/3/1 for a Beginner

5/3/1 for a Beginner - JimWendler.com

Quote:

Now if you’re a beginner and are working out without any guidance whatsoever, it’s probably best to just stick with the basic program. One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards – they usually have all the advice and none of the experience.

Below is one beginner modification that’s permissible, and effective. It’s a subtle, easy way to add in some extra work on the main lifts without compromising the program or the philosophies it was built upon.

You perform a full-body routine, three days a week. Full body strength routines are the best way for novice lifters to quickly get strong, provided the program is non-retarded (i.e. adheres to an intelligent progression system).

Instead of just one main lift per workout (using the 5/3/1 set-up), two main lifts are used for additional weekly exposures. The second main lift, however, should not be performed 5/3/1 style; instead, use a standard 3 sets of 5 reps, starting at 55% of your training 1RM for the first set of 5 and increasing the weight by 10% each successive set.
Monday

Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench – 55%x5, 65Χ5%, 75%x5
Assistance work
Wednesday

Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Assistance work
Friday

Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat – 55%x5, 65%x5, 75%x5
Assistance work

Quote:

you need to keep the assistance work to a minimum. Chins, dips, back raises, neck work, and curls will serve you well. Stick with that.

Off Road 09-08-2011 08:10 AM

I like it! It gives the beginner a very percise method of progression (a bit slow perhaps) and a lot of practice with the lifts.

bruteforce 09-08-2011 04:46 PM

Definitely a good routine. I agree with OR that progression might be a bit slow for a rank beginner, but its better than what most of them do by far.

bamazav 02-04-2012 09:44 AM

I like this. Life is pushing me back toward a three day FB approach this cycle. As a geezer, I am appreciating the slow and steady approach.

Off Road 02-04-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 213884)
As a geezer, I am appreciating the slow and steady approach.

Yup, as a geezer, our goals should include staying healthy and training into our 50s, 60s, and 70s. Good luck Bam.

JTurner 02-04-2012 12:20 PM

There's a routine that he posted in the T-Nation livespill that works well as a 3 day a week fullbody routine. I did this after a short lay-off last year and to get used to squatting with oly shoes.

5/3/1 Full Body Training: Squat, Press, Pull

Quote:

This is obviously inspired by some of Bill Starr’s (and thus Mark Rippetoe) training; I give them thanks for the inspiration.
Monday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Bench – 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Row – 3 sets or do Kroc Rows

Friday

• Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)

• Chins or T-Bar Rows – 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.

bamazav 02-04-2012 10:16 PM

Crap, now I have a decision to make. Thanks JTurner for ruining my weekend...

Joking. About ruining the weekend, I still have a decision to make. I was actually thinking of doing something similar to the Reg Park routine I did last year only using the 5/3/1 protocols for the Big 4.

Off Road 02-05-2012 09:01 AM

Both of them are so similar. I guess it would come down to the decision to squat twice a week or three times a week.

bamazav 02-06-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 214056)
Both of them are so similar. I guess it would come down to the decision to squat twice a week or three times a week.

Decided to not go fullbody this cycle, but still squat twice a week. See my log for more info.

Off Road 02-06-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 214328)
Decided to not go fullbody this cycle, but still squat twice a week. See my log for more info.

You big tease...:march: