Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Workouts
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Workouts Database of workouts, and workout related resources.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Real Results Classic Physique Workout

Real Results Classic Physique Workout

by Glwanabe

This program was inspired by the routines of the Golden Age of Bodybuilding.

Classic Physique Workout

Perform Monday, Wednesday and Friday
  • Squat 3 x 8-12
  • Dumbbell or Barbell Row 3 x 8-12; Deadlift 3 x 5 * see note
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Overhead Press 3 x 8-12 ** see note.
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Bench 3 x 8-12
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8-12
  • Dips 5 x 10 @ Bodyweight. Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
  • Barbell Calf Raise 3 x 15-20
  • Abs

* On Friday drop barbell rows and do 3 x 5 deadlifts.

** Pressing move is a shoulder press. Originally I had this written as a behind the neck press, but people have asked about using dumbbells here or doing a front press. A front press hits your front delts pretty hard, as does the bench. The pressing move should be either a dumbbell press or behind the neck press to hit the medial delt more so than the front delt.

Performing the program.

Do a good general warmup to loosen up and get the blood flowing. Do some BW moves that simulate the weighted movements, or whatever you generally do to get a total body warmup.

Perform the program in the order listed.

Utilizing dumbbells in the program.

Dumbbells can be used in place of barbells if that is your preference.

Determining how much weight to use, and getting into the program.

Use a weight that is about 50% of your normal workset max the first week. You should not have any trouble performing the whole program. Donít work too hard to start. just get a feel for completing the whole thing.

Start at the low end of the rep range, and the next session increase by a rep or two, still using a light weight. For the third session try do the full rep range of all the movements.

Do not do more work than this the first week.

Over the weekend judge how you feel. Try to make an educated guess as to how much weight you should increase for the 2nd week. Do not let your ego have you reset back to your normal work set weights. You will fail.

A good guess would be to use about 60% the 2nd week, and drop back down to the low end of the rep range. Continue the 2nd week as you did the first and try to get the middle range of reps done. Then on Friday try the top range. How do you feel, at the end of this week? You are probably feeling a lot more worked this week than last, if your new to fullbody work.

Where you able to complete the whole program week 2 at this increased weight, and at the top rep range? If the answer is no, then donít increase your work set weight. Begin the 3rd week where you started week 2, and try to add a rep or two each workout. Adding 1 rep per workout to a move is all that you really need to try and accomplish.

When you have established a work set weight for a move, and have worked you way to the top of the rep range, then add weight, and start back at 8 reps. You then try to add a rep or two each session until you are again back to the top of the rep range, and repeat the process.

Straight sets or progressive sets?

You can work any of the moves utilizing either a straight set or progressive set scheme. Use what your comfortable with. Rank beginners usually find straight sets to be fine, while those with some experience and greater strength find progressive sets to work better.

How much weight do I use

a reasonable weight to work at for straight sets, is one that lets you complete 2 sets at full reps, and has you struggling to complete the third. If this is the case then work from that point, and try to increase reps each session till your getting all three sets at top rep range.

For a progressive set weight scheme you can build reps a little differently.
Here is an example of how you could work a progressive scheme.

Would look like:

1x12x135
1x12x165
1x8x205, subsequent sessions:
1x9x205, 1x10x205, 1x11x205, 1x12x205

1x12x135 no change
1x8x170 added weight dropped reps
1x8x210 added weight dropped reps

1x12x135 no change
1x9x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x10x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x11x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x12x170 top of rep range reached!
1x8x210 reps start to build next session
1x9x210, 1x10x210, 1x11x210, 1x12x210

2nd and 3rd sets add weight, and drop reps when 3rd set reaches 12 reps.

Using this progressive scheme I would build the sets till the weights looked liked this.

1x12x135
1x12x185 hold at this weight for 2nd set when reached.
1x12x225 when this is completed all sets reset.

1x8x140
1x8x190
1x8x140

The process of building back up starts all over. This deload of work is important. Donít jump up to fast in your reps. I only increased by 5lbs in the example. For squats you may find that you can go up 10lbs for a weight increase.

The amount of weight to go up in your progressive sets is up to you. I generally split the difference between my starting set, and final set, for my middle set. My squat work sets have a far greater weight jump per set than my pressing or bench numbers.

At some of the lower weights, you may find that you can actually increase both the 2nd and 3rd set reps by one rep each session. It is fine if you can, but you will reach a point where getting that one rep is really going to be work. When you have reached that point you know you are pushing hard at the right intensity. One rep each session equates to a lot of additional work for the whole week.

How much weight to increase when it is time to add weight

I would add about 10lbs for squats/deadlifts when increasing weight.
I would add about 5lbs for upper body work.

Your in new territory with this program. Donít be surprised if you have to readjust almost all of your weights. Donít let your ego get the better of you. As you continue to work the program, changes will happen. Keep notes on your weights used and reps performed. adjust as needed to find the right mix of weights to get it all done. You should be ready to really do some serious work the beginning of week three, but donít overdo it.

It is the weeks total work, and not just one session that your working to complete. This why you need to judge how you feel on the weekends.

If you can handle more weight then add some but donít take too big a jump at once. Use your head, and be smart about what your doing.

During the Golden Age, beginners were told to do a program like this and to only do 1 set 3 times a week for an entire month. Then they were told to add a 2nd set. The third month they could add a 3rd set to the program. We are taking a faster course than that, as most of you are not brand new to lifting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Crow
New Brawn

Crow is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Real Results Classic Physique Workout

by Glwanabe

This program was inspired by the routines of the Golden Age of Bodybuilding.

Classic Physique Workout

Perform Monday, Wednesday and Friday
  • Squat 3 x 8-12
  • Dumbbell or Barbell Row 3 x 8-12; Deadlift 3 x 5 * see note
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Overhead Press 3 x 8-12 ** see note.
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Bench 3 x 8-12
  • Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8-12
  • Dips 5 x 10 @ Bodyweight. Try for sets of 10, but do what you can.
  • Barbell Calf Raise 3 x 15-20
  • Abs

* On Friday drop barbell rows and do 3 x 5 deadlifts.

** Pressing move is a shoulder press. Originally I had this written as a behind the neck press, but people have asked about using dumbbells here or doing a front press. A front press hits your front delts pretty hard, as does the bench. The pressing move should be either a dumbbell press or behind the neck press to hit the medial delt more so than the front delt.

Performing the program.

Do a good general warmup to loosen up and get the blood flowing. Do some BW moves that simulate the weighted movements, or whatever you generally do to get a total body warmup.

Perform the program in the order listed.

Utilizing dumbbells in the program.

Dumbbells can be used in place of barbells if that is your preference.

Determining how much weight to use, and getting into the program.

Use a weight that is about 50% of your normal workset max the first week. You should not have any trouble performing the whole program. Donít work too hard to start. just get a feel for completing the whole thing.

Start at the low end of the rep range, and the next session increase by a rep or two, still using a light weight. For the third session try do the full rep range of all the movements.

Do not do more work than this the first week.

Over the weekend judge how you feel. Try to make an educated guess as to how much weight you should increase for the 2nd week. Do not let your ego have you reset back to your normal work set weights. You will fail.

A good guess would be to use about 60% the 2nd week, and drop back down to the low end of the rep range. Continue the 2nd week as you did the first and try to get the middle range of reps done. Then on Friday try the top range. How do you feel, at the end of this week? You are probably feeling a lot more worked this week than last, if your new to fullbody work.

Where you able to complete the whole program week 2 at this increased weight, and at the top rep range? If the answer is no, then donít increase your work set weight. Begin the 3rd week where you started week 2, and try to add a rep or two each workout. Adding 1 rep per workout to a move is all that you really need to try and accomplish.

When you have established a work set weight for a move, and have worked you way to the top of the rep range, then add weight, and start back at 8 reps. You then try to add a rep or two each session until you are again back to the top of the rep range, and repeat the process.

Straight sets or progressive sets?

You can work any of the moves utilizing either a straight set or progressive set scheme. Use what your comfortable with. Rank beginners usually find straight sets to be fine, while those with some experience and greater strength find progressive sets to work better.

How much weight do I use

a reasonable weight to work at for straight sets, is one that lets you complete 2 sets at full reps, and has you struggling to complete the third. If this is the case then work from that point, and try to increase reps each session till your getting all three sets at top rep range.

For a progressive set weight scheme you can build reps a little differently.
Here is an example of how you could work a progressive scheme.

Would look like:

1x12x135
1x12x165
1x8x205, subsequent sessions:
1x9x205, 1x10x205, 1x11x205, 1x12x205

1x12x135 no change
1x8x170 added weight dropped reps
1x8x210 added weight dropped reps

1x12x135 no change
1x9x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x10x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x11x170 reps climbing
1x8x210 hold steady

1x12x135 no change
1x12x170 top of rep range reached!
1x8x210 reps start to build next session
1x9x210, 1x10x210, 1x11x210, 1x12x210

2nd and 3rd sets add weight, and drop reps when 3rd set reaches 12 reps.

Using this progressive scheme I would build the sets till the weights looked liked this.

1x12x135
1x12x185 hold at this weight for 2nd set when reached.
1x12x225 when this is completed all sets reset.

1x8x140
1x8x190
1x8x140

The process of building back up starts all over. This deload of work is important. Donít jump up to fast in your reps. I only increased by 5lbs in the example. For squats you may find that you can go up 10lbs for a weight increase.

The amount of weight to go up in your progressive sets is up to you. I generally split the difference between my starting set, and final set, for my middle set. My squat work sets have a far greater weight jump per set than my pressing or bench numbers.

At some of the lower weights, you may find that you can actually increase both the 2nd and 3rd set reps by one rep each session. It is fine if you can, but you will reach a point where getting that one rep is really going to be work. When you have reached that point you know you are pushing hard at the right intensity. One rep each session equates to a lot of additional work for the whole week.

How much weight to increase when it is time to add weight

I would add about 10lbs for squats/deadlifts when increasing weight.
I would add about 5lbs for upper body work.

Your in new territory with this program. Donít be surprised if you have to readjust almost all of your weights. Donít let your ego get the better of you. As you continue to work the program, changes will happen. Keep notes on your weights used and reps performed. adjust as needed to find the right mix of weights to get it all done. You should be ready to really do some serious work the beginning of week three, but donít overdo it.

It is the weeks total work, and not just one session that your working to complete. This why you need to judge how you feel on the weekends.

If you can handle more weight then add some but donít take too big a jump at once. Use your head, and be smart about what your doing.

During the Golden Age, beginners were told to do a program like this and to only do 1 set 3 times a week for an entire month. Then they were told to add a 2nd set. The third month they could add a 3rd set to the program. We are taking a faster course than that, as most of you are not brand new to lifting.
Let me ask something . When should i increase the weight of the first set?
It is writen that i increase the weights of the 2nd and 3rd sets and strive for the reps. But up to what point i keep the 1st set weight stable.?
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Let me ask something . When should i increase the weight of the first set?
It is writen that i increase the weights of the 2nd and 3rd sets and strive for the reps. But up to what point i keep the 1st set weight stable.?
Your first set will stay the same for quite awhile. You need that set to be a light warmup set leading up to your final heavy work set.

Go back and read the program again. read it several timse so that you get a big picture feeling of what is trying to be accomplished.

Start a log of your sessions, and ask questions and they will be answered. There are several members who have used these programs, and understand them.

YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND!

Fullbody trng requires that you take an active part in your program. judge when you might need to pull back a little, or when to push harder.

Fullbody is not a simple plug and play, it is active and alive from one session to the next. It is more complicated than it appears, and requires many months of serious conditioning to really get deep into the program. 12 weeks in is just the surface, but give it the time it requires and it will reward you with a great work ethic, and conditioning.

You don't go out and run a marathon on day one, and you don't fully immerse into fullbody in two or three weeks.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Crow
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Your first set will stay the same for quite awhile. You need that set to be a light warmup set leading up to your final heavy work set.

Go back and read the program again. read it several timse so that you get a big picture feeling of what is trying to be accomplished.

Start a log of your sessions, and ask questions and they will be answered. There are several members who have used these programs, and understand them.

YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND!

Fullbody trng requires that you take an active part in your program. judge when you might need to pull back a little, or when to push harder.

Fullbody is not a simple plug and play, it is active and alive from one session to the next. It is more complicated than it appears, and requires many months of serious conditioning to really get deep into the program. 12 weeks in is just the surface, but give it the time it requires and it will reward you with a great work ethic, and conditioning.

You don't go out and run a marathon on day one, and you don't fully immerse into fullbody in two or three weeks.
Thank you mate for your reply. I understand the concept. I 've been using a full body form with 20 rep squats program, and ss,
So what my body tells me is the key to this program.
The only think i wanna avoid is to overpush my self and become overtrained.
That's the reason i took a break from ss.
Thank you again for the reply
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Crow
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND!

By the way are you interested sometime to discuss about ss type of program, and the ways to overcome stallness?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Crow
New Brawn

it says not found page
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
By the way are you interested sometime to discuss about ss type of program, and the ways to overcome stallness?
This topic is one that Steve and I have talked a lot about together.

Your question is a common one. An entire book, or books could be written on just understanding progression, and how to adjust, your sessions, or even long term planning.

I'm not the only one here who can help you in talking about progression. In fact I really don't have all that much time these days with my current work, and Family obligations.

Search the forums, SS has a lot of topics already written. Read the earlier threads, and then ask your questions in the already started thread, or if you want, start a new one.

This board has lots of good people with a depth of knowledge they are willing to share.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
it says not found page
Yea, it would not link correctly. Look under the classic physique thread, and look at post 49. I talk about several aspects of the program, and why I did what I did.

I would also suggest you spend the time and read the articles by Casey Butt.

There is a deep level of knowledge that you will be reading with Dr. Butts articles.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
brad1224
Max Brawn

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

laid it out nicely BTB. good ole times when people didnt over complicate things. Thanks brotha

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1224 View Post
laid it out nicely BTB. good ole times when people didnt over complicate things. Thanks brotha
I think Glwanabe wrote it.