Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Workouts
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Workouts Database of workouts, and workout related resources.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #61
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks for posting these GL.
My pleasure.

I have the opinion that we have taken a wrong turn in many aspects of how we approach what we are doing today. We need to peel the layers of years of marketing that has been thrown at us, and get back to the basics.

The basics work today, just as well as they did 60yrs ago. A lot of people are wasting a lot of effort because they are buying into packaging. That packaging is for the most part designed to one thing, and it has little to do with actual weight training. It is designed to seperate you from your money, with a promise it rarely delivers on.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #62
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Great posts G. and definitel food for thought as i am currently thinking of which program to run, once I get my fitness (and bely) under control, to build a 'classic' physique.

Personally I dont want the huge pecs (luckily enough as I dont have musch there) and i prefer the look of Reeve, Park and even Sandow over Arnold..

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #63
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
My pleasure.

I have the opinion that we have taken a wrong turn in many aspects of how we approach what we are doing today. We need to peel the layers of years of marketing that has been thrown at us, and get back to the basics.

The basics work today, just as well as they did 60yrs ago. A lot of people are wasting a lot of effort because they are buying into packaging. That packaging is for the most part designed to one thing, and it has little to do with actual weight training. It is designed to seperate you from your money, with a promise it rarely delivers on.
That is what I told my Fit For the King clients last night. Started their new cycle taking them back to basics.

3 x 10 Goblet Squats
3 x 10 DB OH Press
3 x 10 Floor Presses
3 x 10 DB Bent Rows
3 x 10 Leg Raises

No rest between sets until all 5 were completed.

They were huffing and puffing and think bad things about me when they were done. All of them committed to a 15 week contest to raise money and lose pounds, inches and bf, using just classic style training.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #64
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Love what your doing with that program Dave.

During my session today, I was thinking I would like to rework some of the old York programs, like I did with the Reeves classic program. I've had a lot of fun in the past doing programs like that.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #65
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Love what your doing with that program Dave.

During my session today, I was thinking I would like to rework some of the old York programs, like I did with the Reeves classic program. I've had a lot of fun in the past doing programs like that.
I have five die hard clients. When we started none of them would use more than a 2 lb db. This week is a break in after a month off, but they will soon be lifting the oly bar. All of them are older than both of us, bad knees and a couple severly over weight. They all are losing and feel better since we started training. You can read more about our program at Fit For The King

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #66
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Default Something to think about.

IF I HAD MY WAY
by Tommy Kono

If I had my way, the weightlifting area would be treated like a "dojo" as the martial arts students would use their area and equipment for training.

The entire area would be treated with respect from the bar to the barbell plates, from the chalk box to the platform.

The barbell bars would never have the soles of a lifter's shoe get on it to move or spin it, no more than you would place your shoes on the table top. The bumper plates would never be tossed or stepped on.

The barbell will always be loaded with double bumper plates on each side whenever possible to preserve the bar and the platform. The purpose is to distribute the load over two bumper plates instead of one with an assortment of small iron plates.

The barbell lifted would never be "thrown" down or dropped from overhead except for safety reasons. The hands will guide the bar down in a controlled manner as it is in a contest.

Anger from a failed lift will be controlled so no four-lettered words would be used.

Instead the energy for the anger will be directed for a positive result.

A good Olympic bar will never be used on a squat rack for squatting purpose. There is no need to use the good bar on the squat rack where it could ruin the knurling or cause the bar to be under undue stress, damaging the integrity of the quality of the bar that makes it straight and springy.

When a lifter finishes using the area for training, it would be left neat and clean with the barbell bars and plates properly stored.

Imagine how it would be if you did not have the gym to work out in and had to go to one of the spas, health clubs or fitness gym to practice Olympic lifting.

Imagine if you did not have a "good" Olympic bar and bumper plates for training.

Imagine if all the equipment was your very own and you had to replace it if you or someone damaged it by abuse - the money coming out of your own pocket.

Treat the Olympic barbell bars, bumper plates, platforms and any items used for training or competition with respect.

Development of a strong character begins with respect even for innate objects.

Character Building begins with Respect and Responsibility.

Last edited by glwanabe; 01-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #67
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

I think I will rename my gym, "The Dog House Dojo"

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #68
AlexBB
Brawn

AlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good postsAlexBB has made some very good posts

Hi guys! =) Going to start the Steve Reeves classic program tomorrow, but im not sure if I should do 8 reps or 10reps (since is Wednesday) you know to keep the program like 8 reps on Monday 10 on Wednesdays and 12 on Fridays. Thanks for your time and help =)
AlexBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #69
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBB View Post
Hi guys! =) Going to start the Steve Reeves classic program tomorrow, but im not sure if I should do 8 reps or 10reps (since is Wednesday) you know to keep the program like 8 reps on Monday 10 on Wednesdays and 12 on Fridays. Thanks for your time and help =)
The notes about the reps for the first few weeks of the program are just until you find good working set weights. You want to start out at a light weight, and not work to heavily. You are putting your body under a different type of stress with a fullbody program as compared to a split.

You are not used to working your whole body so you need to work into the program gradually over the course of a few weeks, and even then it will be many weeks for your body to fully adapt.

Start with light weights, and work into it.

Go look at the logs in the fullbody section and look at Carl's log. Carl has done a very good job of writing on his experience of getting into the program.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #70
strkout35
Max Brawn

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Does anyone here squat with raised heels? What are the pros/cons of doing so? Just wondering since I've seen alot of the old school guys squatting with a 2x4 under their heels

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote