Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Video Compilations
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Video Compilations Video compilations from top lifters, bodybuilding and powerlifting sites across the net.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Starting Angles

Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Starting Angles

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

does ripptoe outline ideal ratios or what constitutes long torso to short legs vice versa
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
does ripptoe outline ideal ratios or what constitutes long torso to short legs vice versa
No, but I put this together based on available info:

Quote:
More On Bone Structure

Recently Dr. Michael Hales published in the Strength and Conditioning Journal defined the differences between a short and long torso, and short and long arms. By using a tape measure and the assistance of a lifting buddy, you can measure which deadlift style might be best for you.

Step 1 – Measure the length of your torso starting at the greater trochanter to the top of your head. The greater trochanter is the bony protrusion at the top of your thigh. This measurement should be taken vertically, and not at an angle.
Step 2 – Measure your arm length starting at the bony part located at the top of the shoulder, to the end of the tip of your middle finger. Make sure your arm is straight when taking this measurement.
Step 3 – Measure your height. (Don’t guess)

Torso length. Divide your torso length (in inches) by your height in inches.

Short torso – If this calculated ratio is less than 47%, you have a short torso.
Long torso – If this calculated ratio is greater than 47%, you have a long torso.

Arm length. Divide your arm length (in inches) by your height in inches.

Short arms – If this calculated ratio is less than 38%, you have short arms.
Long arms – If this calculated ratio is greater than 38%, you have long arms.

Comparing Torso And Arm Size To Determine Which Deadlift Style Is Best For You

Now that you have calculated your torso and arm size, use the following chart to determine if you are better suited for conventional or sumo deadlifts:

Short Arms and Short Torso – Either Conventional or Sumo
Short Arms and Average Torso – Sumo Deadlift
Short Arms and Long Torso – Sumo Deadlift

Average Arms and Short Torso – Conventional Deadlift
Average Arms and Average Torso – Either Conventional or Sumo
Average Arms and Long Torso – Sumo Deadlift

Long Arms and Short Torso – Conventional Deadlift
Long Arms and Average Torso – Conventional Deadlift
Long Arms and Long Torso – Either Conventional or Sumo

Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn

JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

Im long arm, long torso so I guess I just need some form instruction
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Im long arm, long torso so I guess I just need some form instruction
Don't we all. Can you get a video of your deadlifts from front and side?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn

I will start posting some in my log i might as well do most lifts until i confirm they are very good
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Hey steve, this is off topic, but why isn't the helpful post button available here?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Hey steve, this is off topic, but why isn't the helpful post button available here?
It's forum specific. I will add it to this forum.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I will start posting some in my log i might as well do most lifts until i confirm they are very good
We also have a form critique thread. Sometimes on a busy day I can miss a few log posts, so let me know if and when you do post them so we can help.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Mark's a great coach. He has instructions on power cleans, overhead press, bench press and squats available too. I think Mark's deadlift instructional video is about as simple as you can get.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote