Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Video Compilations

Notices

Video Compilations Video compilations from top lifters, bodybuilding and powerlifting sites across the net.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
GT55
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Whats with the thumbs? I keep hearing death grip from every source I read, but the 'experts' don't even put their thumbs around the bar? Omar doesn't, and in a lot of pictures i see in articles huge advanced lifters don't either. Is it just SS advice for beginners so they don't kill themselves? What gives?
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Sumo DL
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

There was a comment about that on his video.. he uses "suicide grip" on safe weights (135lbs), but switches to full grip on heavier sets.

I used to do similar, suicide grip until I feel unsafe, then switch to full grip for remaining sets/reps, also put chalk before each set.

It's just like everything, it's a personal thing, some people feel a difference, others don't.. if it gives an elite lifter the edge.. they'll do it I'm sure.. just like anything else. Accidents happen when people get wreckless.
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
GT55
Brawn

GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
There was a comment about that on his video.. he uses "suicide grip" on safe weights (135lbs), but switches to full grip on heavier sets.

I used to do similar, suicide grip until I feel unsafe, then switch to full grip for remaining sets/reps, also put chalk before each set.

It's just like everything, it's a personal thing, some people feel a difference, others don't.. if it gives an elite lifter the edge.. they'll do it I'm sure.. just like anything else. Accidents happen when people get wreckless.
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Since when was this dude an expert? Serious question. Look to folks like Steve Shaw, Jonathan Byrd, or if you want to go outside the forum, Dan Green or someone that moves big weight.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
GT55
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Since when was this dude an expert? Serious question. Look to folks like Steve Shaw, Jonathan Byrd, or if you want to go outside the forum, Dan Green or someone that moves big weight.
Don't know if the question was for me? I had experts in inverted commas for a reason. Thanks to Steve's recent bench press article on M&S I was able to jump my PR again, I know who to listen to. But then look at the media, videos or photos in a lot of articles and I see the thumbs around the back. Even the instructional video for benching on M&S has a guy with thumbs around back, although it specifically states in the article to never do that.
I'm not asking if its a good thing to do, just wondering why so many seem to do it if its lesson número UNO when you read any benching article. By the way, I've been lifting for 3 months, you have to assume I know jack shit.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
Don't know if the question was for me? I had experts in inverted commas for a reason. Thanks to Steve's recent bench press article on M&S I was able to jump my PR again, I know who to listen to. But then look at the media, videos or photos in a lot of articles and I see the thumbs around the back. Even the instructional video for benching on M&S has a guy with thumbs around back, although it specifically states in the article to never do that.
I'm not asking if its a good thing to do, just wondering why so many seem to do it if its lesson número UNO when you read any benching article. By the way, I've been lifting for 3 months, you have to assume I know jack shit.
Not really aimed at you, its more just a caution to people in general. Omar has made good progress, probably knows what he is talking about half the time, but when it comes to lifting advice, I just want people to be intelligent consumers.

I'll be honest, I've never watched any of his videos, but if he is using suicide grip on bench, its a bad idea. Elite level lifters can do what they want, but until then, stick with safe grips. Not wanting to come down on anyone here and I'm not against this guy. But if we start using a guy who is hitting 500x3 on the deadlift as a mentor, we lose sight of what is really possible.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn

ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Absolutely right.. I'm actually thinking of unsubbing from Omar.. He used to be more informative. Seems he ran out of ideas and is moving towards entertainment.

And MaB def ruined most YT channels for the best. I now look at heavy lifters for tips and cues.. not hybrid bb/weightlifters.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn

Finally something a bit informative..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn

Not really a fan of where the channel his heading; entertainment vs information..
But this video is pretty awesome, Vince G finally getting in the spotlight for good reasons.
He's no quitter!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn