Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default MAB E-Book: Muscle Building Mistakes

What are the biggest mistakes you made, and that you see beginners make when they are trying to build muscle?

Notes to participants:

1) Participants should ignoring how others respond and not just chime in with "what he said", if this makes sense. This doesn't mean answers have to be long. I would just prefer them to be independent of what others are saying.

2) Answers can be as long or short as you desire. I want this e-book to be organic and not something that becomes a burden for those responding.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Ego, many novice lifters( including myself at one point) walk into a gym see guys moving heavy weight and sacrifice form to move heavier weight then we are capable of to look more impressive. Normally momentum is moving weight and not the muscle. If the muscle is not working its not growing. General rule of thumb, if you cant hold it at the top or bottom for a good squeeze depending on the movement; you're lifting to heavy.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
Ego, many novice lifters( including myself at one point) walk into a gym see guys moving heavy weight and sacrifice form to move heavier weight then we are capable of to look more impressive. Normally momentum is moving weight and not the muscle. If the muscle is not working its not growing. General rule of thumb, if you cant hold it at the top or bottom for a good squeeze depending on the movement; you're lifting to heavy.
10000 x

Building Muscle is about working it, NOT the ego of great numbers or video's of thrown PR's.

The great PR's both in weight and vids will come with dedication to work , form, and nutrition. Bodybuilding is 80% nutrition no matter if your bulking or cutting.

Eating big does not mean get fat or belly rolling over the belt, it just means make sure you eat enough to make quality gains.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Max
Brawn
Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6 Points: 336, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Max has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good postsMax has made some very good posts

Lack of proper nutrition,supplements and rest.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Hey BTB can i speak on a topic of the misunderstanding on Contest Prep?

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
Hey BTB can i speak on a topic of the misunderstanding on Contest Prep?
I'll put it up in another thread. What specifically are you going to address so I can better explain the topic and aim it at beginners?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'll put it up in another thread. What specifically are you going to address so I can better explain the topic and aim it at beginners?
I want to explain why contest prep, to me, is more than just low carb dieting, training, and hours of cardio.

Breaking down the less exposed aspects of contest prep.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

The biggest mistake I see is lifters doing "the big three" with absolutely horrible form. Knees in on skwats, elbows straight out at the bottom of the bench stroke, rounded back on deads. Stuff like that can lead to injuries in a hurry. Some of it is due to trying to lift more weight than they are capable of, but most of the time, their form is horrible to start with. I cannot slight someone for going for a max weight in any lift, but use good form.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

The biggest mistake I see would have to be beginners listening to other beginners that have no clue what direction theyre heading. Most of the time the beginner finds themselves in a bad position due to lack of good form, rest, or nutrition. It is okay to take on consideration what is being explained, but use your common sense.

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Trying to run before they can walk...Like...

Worrying about the proper macronutrient breakdown of a good bodybuilding diet when they should start by seeing how their body reacts to more/less food and cleaning up their eating habits.

Worrying about which exercise is going to hit their inner, outer, lower, upper head of their trapectalezius muscle when they should be trying to build any muscles they possibly can.

Trying to find the perfect routine split and exercise rotation when they should just worry about how they are going to add another 10 lbs to the squat bar without crushing themselves.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote