Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How can I develop proper squat form?

"I was in the gym doing squats and some guy said I was doing them all wrong. He said I was going too deep and bending my back. What can I do to develop proper squat form?"

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

The lifter must determine how they will setup and what "type" of squat they will perform, you have bar position, stance, flexibility, etc to take into consideration. From there watch successful lifters squat and pay very close attention to how they perform the lift - positions, timing, etc. Record your squats to see what your doing and what needs to be done. Seek advice from those who know what they're talking about and knows how to perform the lifts not someone with a big mouth and nothing to back his words up (look at his own lifts or people they have coached).

Specifics are often determined by the lifter's body and the style of squat they choose to perform but the few things that apply to all:

1 - Chest must remain high with the shoulder blades pulled back and very tight.
2 - Fill stomach with air and brace the abs hard for the entire lift.
3 - The lift always begins by pushing the hips back, first. Not bending at the knees.
4 - On the descent, actively push the knees out to the side so that they track over your feet which are angled slightly outward.
5 - On the descent and ascent, keep the weight over your mid-foot or your heels. Do not let the weight shift to the forefront.

On depth... this is something determined by the style of squat, flexibility, and purpose of the squat. Olympic lifters want to attempt to reach rock bottom whereas powerlifters may only prefer to focus on reaching at least parallel. For rec lifters, it doesn't matter as much as long as the squat reaches parallel, which is the point where the crease of the hips is inline with the top of the knees.

Squatting deep is no more "dangerous" than squatting to parallel as long as the lower back remains tight and flat. For the "lifter" in the original post the 5 suggestions above should help keep the back flat while getting low enough, should he wish to continue to squat deep. If it does not, the issue may be flexibility in the ankle joints in which getting a pair of olympic weightlifting shoes or increasing ankle flexibility through stretches can eliminate the issue. If neither are viable options, the lifter should only squat down to parallel or the lowest point in which he/she can maintain a rigid back. And as always, never sacrifice form over weight when LEARNING a movement.

Last edited by Pull14; 02-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great post Pull.

I recommend anyone starting new to learn goblet squats. They will assist with keeping the back straight, chest out and abs tight. IMHO, these are a great tool for working on form with newbs.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Goblet squats helped me substantially. I took BTB's advice and kept my elbows in as I descended, trying to get them between my knees. My knees sort of naturally opened and my depth improved.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Go to youtube and type in Rippetoe.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

I watched an excellent video by Dave Tate a few days ago on the box squat . . . . .but was of benefit for all squatting. It was on Youtube.

The video was great because it emphasised the upper body - back - grip - arm position etc set up alot which if often overlooked by less experienced lifters . . .like myself . . . .
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Go in the squat rack and set the bar to the appropriate height.

Grasp the bar a bit wider than shoulder width.

Squeeze the biceps hard and bring the bar to the height of upper chest.

Lower slowly and repeat
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
wvjon
Brawn
Points: 785, Level: 14 Points: 785, Level: 14 Points: 785, Level: 14
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 8 months
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Infinite Labs JHP
wvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machinewvjon is a lifting machine

There is a series of videos on YouTube called "you think you can squat"
wvjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjon View Post
There is a series of videos on YouTube called "you think you can squat"
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...tml#post135819

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
stayaggro
Brawn
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19

Training Exp: Since Oct '11
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: BTN Push Press
Fav Supp: Black Coffee
stayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good postsstayaggro has made some very good posts

My squat form was horrendous when I started doing them. I simply did a ton of squats. Tons of reps and small weight jumps when warming up. And a ton, ton, ton of air squats and sitting in the hole. Just on free time, at night, between sets, all the time. That's what helped me iron out my form. I'm helping a dude I know who wants to get strong and big, I had him do a ton of air squats and started him on goblet squats, moving the weight up each week. His form is looking really good after a few weeks of goblet and air squats. So I guess what I'm getting at is up the squat volume to iron out your technique, and it'll eventually come naturally to you.
stayaggro is offline   Reply With Quote