Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member
Default Choosing assistance lifts

Trying to figure out what assistance movements to use to raise your squat, bench, deadlift, or whatever lift can be confusing. Who here has made great progress on an assistance lift and seen no improvement in the main movement? Here is a couple of tips to prevent wasting your time.

1)The best movements will usually mimic the pattern of the main lift. Heres a few:
Bench:boards, close grip, wide grip, floor press
Squat: box squats, pause squats, reverse band squats,SSB
Deadlift:box pulls, deficits, stiff leg deads, RDL

2)You will usually initially suck at the assistance lift for thats perfect for you. The problem is that no one really likes doing something they suck at. It may be hard on the ego but if your a competitor, nobody really cares how much you board press or pause squat. If your chosen assistance lift is getting stronger and the main movement is stuck then its time to change. 2 Board press 405 and pause bench 315? You dont need to spend alot of time doing boards. Bench 315 and board press 335? You know what you got to do.

3)You still should do the lifts you are trying to improve. Do basketball players practice on a 12 foot goal and play games on the 10 foot one? It doesn't transfer. Strength sports are sports. The more you practice, the better you will get at that sport. Do the main lift, an assistance lift, and then do whatever you need to do to meet your goals.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great post Mike!

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Great post. Do the things you suck at and hate.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Always do assistance lifts that improves the WEAK POINT of the main lift. Its simple really, you just have to have an ability to analyze the weak points. Its not a guessing game of "should I do this or that".
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Good post Mike, as usual your thinking on this is very similar to mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
1)The best movements will usually mimic the pattern of the main lift. Heres a few:
Bench:boards, close grip, wide grip, floor press
Squat: box squats, pause squats, reverse band squats,SSB
Deadlift:box pulls, deficits, stiff leg deads, RDL
Couple more to add to that list:

Squat:

Partial Squats of various heights. I've found this approach to work quite well, what has been called Anderson Squats. Taking a partial Squat weight and working it down the rack through the various heights.

Arched GMs. For me, GMs are very comparable to Squats. If my GM is moving up, inevitably my Squat will too. Brilliant exercise, absolutely has to be a part of my routine. Take the same stance as your Squats, but with toes pointing ahead rather than out.

Bench:

Slingshot work. Not really a seperate exercise but this piece of kit is amazing, a must for every trainee at some point. It allows more volume, with less shoulder strain. More overload of the triceps, and pulls the elbows in towards the body maintaining correct form and reinforcing the correct path.

Deadlift:

Partial Deads. Similar to Partial Squats I like to vary the heights here. For example, working upto heavy weights in the 18inch Deadlift, then moving down to 15inch and down again to 12inch works very, very well. An 18inch Deadlift might not necessarily help your pull off the floor, but it does help your 15inch pull Then you work it down.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
You will usually initially suck at the assistance lift for thats perfect for you. The problem is that no one really likes doing something they suck at. It may be hard on the ego but if your a competitor, nobody really cares how much you board press or pause squat.
Well said!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Great post. Do the things you suck at and hate.
exactly

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
HIThopper
Max Brawn
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributor

Hmmmmmmm

I cannot 2 or 3 board more than I can full ROM Press, I guess thats a problem. I guess I should be hitting the boards more Mike, which sucks cos I hate them, such a pain to get em setup etc.

Sigh, theres always something to work on in this game we play!!
HIThopper is offline   Reply With Quote