Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!
Default Raw Lifting for Equipped Lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Interesting stat Fazc. Now I'm moving to equipped lifting and especially with my recent shoulder mishap, I am giving serious consideration to abandoning heavy raw work entirely and maybe just keeping speed work raw. Thoughts?
I hope Ltl doesn't mind me quoting him here. It's something I have thought a lot about, ultimately my decision on the matter has been made for me (for now) but it is perhaps something to debate for others. I know competitors who do this both ways.

So, for the equipped lifter:

1) Is raw lifting still a necessary part of their training. Building up an ever increasing level of raw base strength to translate to their equipped lifts?

2) Or should the lifters energies be directed at training in gear? Opting instead to train in gear and direct their training towards the needs of equipped competition?

Discuss.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am just starting my crossover, but I will share my 2 cents anyway.

For me it's an issue of risk/reward. I am a beaten old horse and when I bench press raw I pick up strains that can linger for months. This will impact confidence, eccentric speed, etc. The strains from my first meet lasted almost 8 weeks.

For someone like me that takes a beating from raw benching I see very little value in training with intensity raw. But I would like to see what equipped lifters who don't take a beating raw have to say.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

My thoughts are as follows: in an ideal world where I am still young and not broken, I would train completely raw every time I wasn't in gear. There are elements of technique of course but more raw strength normally equates to more geared strength. Unfortunately this isn't an ideal world and raw work is leaving me with tweaks and strains on a regular basis. To combat this I will be using minimal gear on dynamic effort days (suit bottoms and knee sleeves for lower and slingshot and possibly elbow sleeves on upper). It's like Steve said: risk vs reward. I want to lift as much as I can but I can't do that if I'm hurt.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

While have only trained in my suit, I would like to give my thoughts on this topic and that being RAW lifting has it's place for a geared lifter. Gear does a great job at masking weaknesses that I feel RAW lifting helps with. I would cycle it out just to prevent from having a deficiency that you were unaware of.

Train in gear as a meet nears, but train RAW as your body allows you to. No there are different tools to help with RAW work.
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Thanks for your thoughts guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For me it's an issue of risk/reward. I am a beaten old horse and when I bench press raw I pick up strains that can linger for months.
Quote:
Unfortunately this isn't an ideal world and raw work is leaving me with tweaks and strains on a regular basis. To combat this I will be using minimal gear on dynamic effort days (suit bottoms and knee sleeves for lower and slingshot and possibly elbow sleeves on upper). It's like Steve said: risk vs reward. I want to lift as much as I can but I can't do that if I'm hurt.
My thoughts exactly on both counts, the gear has allowed me to get back on the platform. If I hadn't invested in it, I can almost guarantee I wouldn't have been back on as any *intense* raw work would have been a no-go.

These two comments on the other hand, are what concern me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Gear does a great job at masking weaknesses that I feel RAW lifting helps with. I would cycle it out just to prevent from having a deficiency that you were unaware of.
1) Am I inviting more injury down the line if I'm not supporting my ever increasing top end strength with raw work? Sure I feel better now, but when I begin to push really heavy weights Squats/Deads of 300kg and Benches of over 200kg, will I then see different types of injury from not having the right raw base to support those lifts?

Quote:
There are elements of technique of course but more raw strength normally equates to more geared strength.
2) I've been in gear for a relatively short period of time. Is what I'm seeing merely the carryover from my raw strength and if so, how much more will I get if my raw strength stagnates?

Hmmm

More comments are welcome, don't feel like you need any huge background with gear to contribute
Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I'm about 300kg short of justifying gear use but I would tend to agree with SB. If someone like me, who is nowhere near strong enough to justify gear use, tried to use it, I'd guarantee that eventually problems would arise because of my lack of raw strength and I don't see it being any different for someone much stronger like you.
I understand that gear helps you get back in the game but at the same time, common sense if nothing else suggests that gear can only take you so far before weaknesses from lack of raw strength manifest themselves. Naturally, training with gear should take precedence but raw work can't be totally discarded. You can take this with a pinch of salt from a powerlifting noob
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Naturally, training with gear should take precedence but raw work can't be totally discarded. You can take this with a pinch of salt from a powerlifting noob
Thanks Kuyt, this sentiment is pretty much what caused me to start thinking about this more. I've taken stock and I'm considerably healthier than I was 7 months ago, my shoulders are fine, knees are feeling better etc. Perhaps it's time, if I treat the raw lifts as assistance rather than the focus itself it may well be safer.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

If I use briefs too much my glutes get weak, and my dl and sq suffer. Use a shirt too much and I just feel beat up all the time. Find balance specific to your goals, injuries, weaknesses, etc.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
If I use briefs too much my glutes get weak, and my dl and sq suffer. Use a shirt too much and I just feel beat up all the time. Find balance specific to your goals, injuries, weaknesses, etc.
Thanks Ehubbard, the last thing you said about finding the balance struck me. I'm feeling much, much better now after lifting in the gear for a while. Injuries are clearing up etc. So perhaps re-introducing some moderate raw work now may be a good option. If I introduce it as assistance rather than the main focus my sets/reps will reflect that and perhaps I'll avoid some of the aches and pains I used to get when it was my focus and avoid potentially bigger problems of imbalances that may arise from a poor raw base.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Good thread.