Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #301
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Well with some good suggestions from Btb and some other sources of information like Cressey/Robertson series on Lousy Leverages I'm going to switch my Deadlift training around so I'm doing a little more Deadlifting firstly! And doing it when I'm fresh.

SLDL: I feel like I lack basic back/hamstring strength necessary to move upto the next level. I was repping 170kg for 6 triples here and that's just not enough.

Deficits: Highly recommended by most people and I've noticed a positive correlation between doing them and a bigger Deadlift.

Partial Heights/Deadlift: This is an idea I got from a Tom Martin interview. Cycle the heights. What this means for me is to cycle from 18inch, to 15inch to off the floor across three training blocks. I'll build confidence and back strength but at the same time I shouldn't burn out from pulling off the floor too much.

Stuff I'm not doing.

Shrugs. I figure the Partial and AM P.Cleans should cover me.

Rows: I'll be doing Chins & P.Cleans three times a week in the morning which should cover me. My evening schedule just doesn't give enough time to do that stuff heavy.

Speed work: I'm already pretty explosive but i'll be doing P.Cleans and Jerks in the morning.

Which makes my week look like this:

1: Bench
2: Squat, Partial Heights/Deadlifts
3: CGBP
4: SLDL, Partial SQ
5: Bench
6: Deficits, GMs
7: OFF

Eventually I'd like to move to more actual Squatting, something like Squat > Squat > Partial Squat. But I still need to correct some flexibility issues so untill then GMs will do.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #302
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Back in the day I used to be quite good at super-strict RDLs with Shrugs. I'd Deadlift the bar, throw the shoulders right back, and maintain that somewhat exaggerated shoulder position 'till the end of the set. Once the set was done I'd follow up with some Shrugs before I put the bar down.

I found this had better carryover then a regular SLDL, with more upper back work and more hamstring reliance. Perhaps that's a better choice again here.

What exactly are the pro's/con's of SLDL vs RDL done in that manner?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #303
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

What exactly are the pro's/con's of SLDL vs RDL done in that manner?
Pro...more lat and glute involvement?

When I get into the higher rep deadlifts I feel my glutes working hard. Reps aside, I feel this is most likely a factor of TUT...correct me if I am wrong.

Lats...longer period of lat contraction. This might be beneficial to deadlifters who don't do much (or any) rowing. Perhaps...just thinking out loud.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #304
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Umm... Code talkers. Dial it down a notch. Let some mortals glimpse the promised land.

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #305
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Umm... Code talkers. Dial it down a notch. Let some mortals glimpse the promised land.

TUT = time under tension

Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #306
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Partial Heights/Deadlift: This is an idea I got from a Tom Martin interview. Cycle the heights. What this means for me is to cycle from 18inch, to 15inch to off the floor across three training blocks. I'll build confidence and back strength but at the same time I shouldn't burn out from pulling off the floor too much.
That method is recomended by a ton of good deadlifters. I think you'll find you'll enjoy it and keep from getting stale. I like the plan.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #307
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I have yet to give this approach a good, long run. Perhaps it's time.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #308
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Brian Hopper suggested that I try cycling the height for deadlifts, but I just can't warp my head around how to do it via 5/3/1 or Jugg training. Perhaps I could pull from the floor on 5s week, from 4" blocks on 3s week, and from 18" pins on 5-3-1 week. That would keep all the reps higher and guard my back a bit. Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #309
Fazc
Max Brawn

I'd stick with one height for at least a full cycle of 531 maybe 2, that way you get some weights established and can begin to see progress. Then the cycle or two after you could pull from another height and try and establish PRs there too. Once you're down to the floor you should see improvement.

That's a rough plan I guess, but honestly I don't think this cycling is particularly useful if you're training as infrequently as you would on 5/3/1. The whole point of varying the exercises and cycling is so you don't get burnt out from pulling too frequently. You're not going to have that issue with once a week pulling. You may as well just do your lifts and do the various partials as assistance. That more closely resembles what I would recommend based on my Raw Powerlifting routine.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #310
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'd stick with one height for at least a full cycle of 531 maybe 2, that way you get some weights established and can begin to see progress. Then the cycle or two after you could pull from another height and try and establish PRs there too. Once you're down to the floor you should see improvement.

That's a rough plan I guess, but honestly I don't think this cycling is particularly useful if you're training as infrequently as you would on 5/3/1. The whole point of varying the exercises and cycling is so you don't get burnt out from pulling too frequently. You're not going to have that issue with once a week pulling. You may as well just do your lifts and do the various partials as assistance. That more closely resembles what I would recommend based on my Raw Powerlifting routine.
I get what you're saying and appreciate the input. And you are probably correct.

But just for the sake of discussion because that's how I pick your brain

Since 5/3/1 is such slow progression, wouldn't switching lifts be a bad idea every two cycles. I mean, would you gain enough on the main lift in that time period? I think I like your idea of using different heights for assistance work better.

And wouldn't using different heights each week allow you to increase the weight on 5/3/1 and still keep the reps in the moderate rage. Plus have the advantage of working different parts of the lift (ie conjugate style)?