Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #751
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Dave's not here, man!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #752
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I learned something valuable this week:

1 week deload = feeling great.
2 weeks off = lower back hates me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #753
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I learned something valuable this week:

1 week deload = feeling great.
2 weeks off = lower back hates me.
Sounds about right to me.

I'm due a deload at the end of this week, but feel like I could go on if I really needed to.

Remember how cautious I was about alternating squats and deads each day? Not so much any more. I'm planning on mostly a press, squat and pull each session.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #754
HIThopper
Max Brawn
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributorHIThopper is a dedicated contributor

This is a great thread, I dont know why its taken so long for me to find.

I find the more I train the quicker recovery is when I do take time off, I have been pushing 7 days a week for a long time now, with the occasional 2 a day thrown in and can definately get to feeling beat up here and there, especially in the hips and glutes from all the squatting, the funny thing is with a day or 2 off they seem to feel brand new and ready to go again, as opposed to when i used to squat once per week, I really never felt recovered.

My 2c, sorry and continue on!
HIThopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #755
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Remember how cautious I was about alternating squats and deads each day? Not so much any more. I'm planning on mostly a press, squat and pull each session.
I've seriously considered a pull each day. As long as I am not pulling over 90%, which I did a lot when I started high frequency training, cumulative fatigue is much more mild.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #756
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I've seriously considered a pull each day. As long as I am not pulling over 90%, which I did a lot when I started high frequency training, cumulative fatigue is much more mild.
Yeah, I agree. I was thinking of 3 of those days being a Dead variant and 3 of those days being either Shrugs, Cleans or Bent Rows for a little shoulder balance. I doubt I'll be much over 90% except for occasionly when I do a daily max + back offs. 5-10 singles works well enough with a timed rest period and doesn't leave me too beat the next day.

I'm thinking of sticking to a relatively tight rotation of exercises. I'm back and forth over having a set schedule or just doing a grab-bag type of thing. I think inevitably it'll be a bit of both. The exercises reflect the equipment/resources I have now, so heavy reverse band work is out as it's impossible without a hand off.

Benching: Paused Bench, Slingshot Bench, Incline

Squatting: Raw Squat, Bottom Position, Partial

Front Squat: Front Squat, Bottom Position, Partial

Pressing: Klokov, Seated BTN, Push Press

Deadlift: SLDL, Conventional, Power Clean

Pull: Shrug, Bent Row, Chins

On something like this type of schedule:

Day 1: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 2: Press, Dead, Front
Day 3: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 4: Press, Dead, Front
Day 5: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 6: Press, Dead, Front

That's not a set regimented 6 day schedule, I may/probably will skip a day here or there or I may run through for 7 days. It's up for grabs.

Lot's of low rep timed sets is my bag now, it keeps the session relatively short and keeps me working hard and not getting more reps just 'cos I rested more on a particular day. I'm not going to put down any hard and fast rep/set scheme because I inevitably flip-flop between daily max + back off work to multiple low rep to multiple high rep sets. Whatever keeps progress going.

Just some possible thoughts, feedback appreciated as always!

Also, when have you got a deload next?

Last edited by Fazc; 11-14-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #757
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Yeah, I agree. I was thinking of 3 of those days being a Dead variant and 3 of those days being either Shrugs, Cleans or Bent Rows for a little shoulder balance.
I was tossing around alternating between rows/high pulls/power shrugs and a deadlift. So it looks like we're on the same sheet of paper.

Quote:
Day 1: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 2: Press, Dead, Front
Day 3: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 4: Press, Dead, Front
Day 5: Bench, Squat, Pull
Day 6: Press, Dead, Front
How do you like benching before squats? Reason I ask is because when I squat first, I tend to want to end the workout afterwords. I was wondering if this was the same case.

Quote:
Also, when have you got a deload next?
I'm fully deloaded and ready to go.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #758
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Here's my new plan...

First and foremost, I can't stick to a rigid structure. I've come to grips with that. I work 7 days a week, am always on call, things happen. So I will be cycling days.

Squats I am going to play around for a while. Right now I am working up to 465 and doing max reps. I am enjoying it, and since this is going to be more of a "deadlift specialization" soiree I'm going to stick with this top set until I get bored.

The basic plan is:

Day 1 - Dead Misc* and Squats
Day 2 - Bench Press, Arm and Shoulder
Day 3 - Deadlift and Squats
Day 4 - Bench Press, Arm and Shoulder

Days off happen when they happen.

* Dead Misc will be either a row variation, high pulls, or power shrugs.

Arm work will be a simple 3-5x10 for both biceps and triceps. I am losing arm size slightly and want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. Short rests, moderate weight style work.

Shoulder work - I can't go overboard on this. Heavy shoulder work plus heavy bench work tends to leave me fatigued, and it becomes real apparent during bench press eccentrics. So perhaps 1-2 sets per day of single arm dumbbell presses for 10-20 reps, and/or front plate upright rows. Might even use the lumberjack press.

Bench Press - Going to run some mild periodization. A 6x3 auto-regulation. I will started with 6 sets x 3 reps, add weight along the way, drop sets when I can't do 3 reps, and when I arrive at a single set of 3 reps test my max.

I don't know if I will stick with this, but I do want to give it a good cycle or two and get a feel for it.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #759
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I was tossing around alternating between rows/high pulls/power shrugs and a deadlift. So it looks like we're on the same sheet of paper.
Perfect. A couple of pulls filled in with pull assistance seems a good way to go.

Quote:
How do you like benching before squats? Reason I ask is because when I squat first, I tend to want to end the workout afterwords. I was wondering if this was the same case.
It all seems to depend if I'm doing high or low bar squats. Low bar tends to mess up my elbows so I don't press so well after, and I prefer to Bench first. High bar is a perfect way to warm up for benches though, as much lower back warms up well too.

Quote:
I'm fully deloaded and ready to go.
Cool, I should deload but screw it. I'm not lifting anything too heavy anyway!

Quote:
Squats I am going to play around for a while. Right now I am working up to 465 and doing max reps. I am enjoying it, and since this is going to be more of a "deadlift specialization" soiree I'm going to stick with this top set until I get bored.
I've been reading into it a lot lately, and I think you're right. Stick to that top set 'till you stagnate and then add in volume only when necessary.

Quote:
The basic plan is:

Day 1 - Dead Misc* and Squats
Day 2 - Bench Press, Arm and Shoulder
Day 3 - Deadlift and Squats
Day 4 - Bench Press, Arm and Shoulder
Cool, sounds like you're hitting everything good and well.

Quote:
Arm work will be a simple 3-5x10 for both biceps and triceps. I am losing arm size slightly and want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. Short rests, moderate weight style work.
Good idea for injury prevention too.

Quote:
Shoulder work - I can't go overboard on this.
True, the main advantage for me is keeping my shoulders loose.

Sounds ace.

Might do my first session today... tonight... right now!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #760
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I love it when a plan comes together.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote