Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #731
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
(Do try and have a read of that, it's very interesting)
Headed over there now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #732
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
How about that! This thread has been running for a year, what a trip it's been! .
One of these days it will make it into the top 10 on Google for "strength" searches. It's heading that way.

Quote:
Anyway, based on the above I'm going to work out how to continue this evolution. I just wanted to get all this in one place.
Great read. Thanks for posting it.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #733
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One of these days it will make it into the top 10 on Google for "strength" searches. It's heading that way.
If you type in 'increasing strength' under discussions it comes out as top... not that I've checked or anything...

A few more thoughts:

Across the year there were a LOT of posts, probably more by me than Steve, about switching reps and subsequent justifications for why. Toward the end of the year though I started to look at things a bit more retrospectively and responded to change as being inevitable rather than something to fight against. (Credit to Steve he had already reached this stage long before I did!) This helped me a great deal in terms of sticking to things and also ease on the joints.

Lesson learned; if you feel that change is some to really fight against, you'll hurt yourself by not listening to your body and when you do finally change it will be this massive self-defeating event.

Solution: Don't worry about change! Let it happen and don't plan reps/sets too strictly. "The only way to win, is to deny the battle"... as it were!

In any case this is not just some psychological clap trap, each and every once of these changes ultimately proved useful in the short-term. It was the change which was useful not the rep/set scheme that was being changed to. The way the Dynamic work is set-up entrenches variety into the programme, and that seemed to work just as well as just doing things on the fly. Either planned or unplanned, variety is good. Also 3 week cycles are good.

More as it comes.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #734
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Few thoughts I wanted to get some opinions on:

Training frequency.

I'm considering moving back to a 6 day a week schedule. Energy isn't a problem right now, I've adapted to my schedule and am usually raring to go in the evenings. So I'm considering alternating BP/SQ with OHP/DL day by day. I like frequent training and did well on it prior to WSB.

Question being, is 6 times a week too much? I know 6 training sessions aren't too much but what I'm considering here is working the same muscle groups 6 days a week which is more intense. I've done 4 x week before and responded very well and upto 6 times a week with 3 heavier and 3 lighter.

Variation.

I want to target certain areas where I feel I'm weak. For Deadlift the SLDL, I'm relatively weak with anything where my feet are closer stance. For Squat it's high bar deep squats which are weak, anything quad based. For Bench I think the Incline Bench could be a good choice to fill in the gaps. The added advantage of these lifts is that because I'm weak at them they'll be lighter and serve as a Light day.

Question being, how far do I take this variation? Last time I varied the work across the week, but then the second week was the same and third week was a deload. That seems to make sense, but I'd run out of steam by the second week so different set of exercises in the second week may be a good idea? That would mean a total of 6 variations of each exercise across 2 weeks. Sounds fun actually!

Reps/Sets.

I'm considering a few schemes:

Week 1: 10 triples
Week 2: 8 doubles
Week 3: 6 singles

That builds in some deloads and variation across the weeks from very light (70%) to very heavy (90%+), if I vary the lifts I may even get away with continuously working heavy(ish). This has the advantage of more volume.

Or:

Top out at a max single and perform back offs, Bulgarian style on everything. This has other implications, as with a lack of a decent spotter I'd be worried about taking it to a proper daily max.

Other suggestions welcome also.

I'd like to draw something together soon, so any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #735
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

To sum up my thoughts on this from our discussion yesterday I think this kind of system will inevitably auto regulate as long as you listen to your body. 6 days per week is probably not sustainable for 52 weeks of the year so you would end up training like Colin the strongman from my gym where you go balls to the wall for as long as you possibly can and then once you're completely broken (listen to your body to make sure you're broken with fatigue not injury), you take a fee lighter sessions or some time off until you feel like smashing again.

Pros - Lots of heavy training. High volume. Very intense.
Cons - How do you peak for a meet with no plan?
Counterpoint to the above - Do you need to peak?

Al
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #736
Fazc
Max Brawn

Good thoughts Al, thanks.

I'll still work in 3 week cycles, generally that works out to 2 heavy weeks and a lighter week. I think dependant on which type of sets/reps scheme I choose I'll either plan for all three weeks (WSB DE style) or just plan for the two weeks like I used to do and take the final week as a light deload (2 weeks heavy, 1 week light).

WSB style is probably more stressful as the same lifts are used and intensity is relatively high throughout the three weeks. I could get away with it previously because I was only training each bodypart twice a week, and there was such frequent switching of max and assistance exercises.

The other method is probably more stressful, this is what I was doing prior to WSB for the bulk of the year. Frequent training, heavy volume and intensity, basically going balls to the wall for 2 weeks followed by a light week, my 'classic' way of training.

I know I want to go for a more frequent schedule and ideally I would like to forego the traditional deload in favour of something heavier. So I just need to find a way to accommodate that. A happy medium would be to use the more stressful frequent training but just rotate the lifts like a maniac across the 2-3 weeks. That is sort of what I was aiming at with one of the reps/sets examples.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #737
Fazc
Max Brawn

Thinking about it some more if I do want to use a more frequent schedule, I probably will have to return to a more traditional deload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Pros - Lots of heavy training. High volume. Very intense.
Cons - How do you peak for a meet with no plan?
Counterpoint to the above - Do you need to peak?
In answer to this I never really felt the need for a long peak, a short period of two weeks where I would deload slightly so I was fresh was really all I ever needed.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #738
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

T Nation chimes in on frequency:

T NATION | Maxing on Squats and Deadlifts Every Day

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #739
Fazc
Max Brawn

Surprisingly good article, mirrors my experience exactly.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #740
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have read a few articles about that. Jim Steel, a well respected strength coach, mentions squatting every day as well. he advocates setting a minimum weight of around 70% of your 1RM for a double and hitting it every single time you are in the gym while aiming higher a couple of days a week.

Other articles recommend going in double until you start grinding reps. Same goes for the bench. I'm training 4 days a week and may just hit squats every time whenever the power rack is free just to get the bar on my back.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote