Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #671
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
It's a pity that people still go by the "No pain, No gain!" mentality; every time I see someone post that, I really want to slap them.

Though, I'm not even sure it ever meant pain in the sense of physical bad pain, more about pushing through the comfort zone, I reckon.
The only thing super high volume training ever did for me was leave me feeling run over by a truck. I know some people can, and have adapted to 2 hour beat downs, bodybuilding-style, like Rich Knapp, but I never handled them well. I gave them quite a go several times in my life.

I prefer the slow and steady approach. After all, most folks aren't competitors, and those that do stick with things have all the time in the world. One rep at a time instead of 42 sets of curls per day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #672
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I too am very much in favour of high frequency, low volume right now. Been trimming fat from my sessions and will continue to do so. Plan around the basics and all will be well! My sessions should really look something like:
deadlift + shrugs = done.
Bench + strict press = done.
Squat + Good mornings = done.
Clean & press + rows = done.
I can add 1-2 days where I do short assistance sessions which will feature chin ups and pull ups if I feel up for it.
Short, sweet and (hopefully heavy).

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #673
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Continuing our discussion on increasing mobility I have found these Kelly Starrett videos which I just tried and really open up the hips:

LtL

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-12-2012 at 08:39 AM.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #674
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Used close grip benches the last 2 weeks and hit a PR. Wondering if I should start switching variations every couple of weeks but keep the same structure. Nothing earth shattering, simply moving between close, normal and wide stance. Hopefully adding chains too this Father's day, and maybe bands as well.

Always torn between KISS and Louie. Whenever I get on a PR wave I hesitate to tinker, but I feel safe as long as long as I am not getting ridiculous.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #675
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Used close grip benches the last 2 weeks and hit a PR. Wondering if I should start switching variations every couple of weeks but keep the same structure.
I think a key theme from our 'evolution' this past 6-10 months (how long has it been?) is that we flip-flop from one thing to another. One month we might vary stuff and then we think let's keep it together, another month we might hit some singles and then we think let's build the volume.

I really do not think this is a bad thing in the slightest. At this level of strength a certain amount of variety is needed. And instead of planning for it, I'm trying to allow myself the freedom of just changing stuff on the fly and not worrying about it.

So yeah man, try some chain work or Incline or whatever you want to do for another few weeks and pretty soon we'll be talking about what to do next.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #676
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I might just setup 5 variations and use the one I feel like for that day. I hate too much structure to begin with.

Off note, I need to add a couple more bench press warm up speed sets. My first 2-3 are wasted trying to find my speed.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #677
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

This is what I like about Westside. I set myself guidelines but do what I want or, more likely on max effort day, what I don't want.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #678
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Speed work before heavy benching IS working so far. I also added in overhead dumbbell pressing, noticing that in the absence of shoulder work my strength has stagnated. The result was my first bench PR in a long time, and feeling more confident with eccentrics.

Might be luck, might be planning. Either way, a PR is a PR.

Made a few minor changes. Added in some hypertrophy style work. Also moving to 2 days on, 1 day off during the Summer. With the kids at home just too much going on to train every day. Also, I am training a few teens and need some time to devote to them.

Right now I am using:

Day 1
Squat - Work to a daily single of at least 525 (87.5%). 90% of the time I am using 545 (90% ish). When this starts to feel easy and not a grind I will bump it slightly.
Low Rack Deadlifts - Work to a heavy single, double, triple or more with at least 635 (94% ish). I play this by ear. One week I might try for a rep PR with 635, the next with 675. I give what I have in me that day.
Goblet Squat - 2 sets x 6-10

Day 2
Speed Bench Press - 9 sets of 3 reps, 45 seconds rest. 3 sets each of wide, normal and close grip. I work out to in, and then proceed on to:
Close Grip Bench Press - I build up in triples, then singles, moving towards a max rep for the day, based on how I feel. After my speed benches, progression has been:
  • 275 x 3
  • 315 x 3
  • 335 x 1
  • 355 x 1
  • 375 x 1
  • 395 x 1
  • Max Set - Single, Double, Triples, whatever

Hammer Curls - 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Seated One Arm Dumbbell Press - 2 sets of 10-15

Day 3 - OFF

Day 4
Squat - Work to a daily single of at least 525 (87.5%). 90% of the time I am using 545 (90% ish). When this starts to feel easy and not a grind I will bump it slightly.
High Rack Deadlifts and Shrugs - Work to a heavy set with at least 675, working 5-10 reps. I play this by ear.
Goblet Squat - 2 sets x 6-10

Day 5 (added this day into the mix as a light bench day, back focus day)
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 Sets x 6-10 reps
Pendlay Rows - 3 Sets x 6-10 reps
Fat Ups - 3 Sets x 6-10 reps
Dumbbell Curls - 3 Sets x 6-10 reps
Two Arm Dumbbell Tricep Extension - 3 Sets x 6-10 reps

Day 6 - OFF

Repeat cycle...I deload every 2 weeks or so, when I feel like it.

Debating adding in a 5x5 on one squat day, or possibly dropping as follows:
  • Max single
  • 525 x 1
  • 505 x 1
  • 465 x 1
  • 405 x 3 x 5

A little leg rep work might not be a bad things.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #679
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Looks good. Just curious as to where the Squat is going, with no overload/supramaximal work and weights hitting 90% for only one single can you really expect progress there?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #680
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Looks good. Just curious as to where the Squat is going, with no overload/supramaximal work and weights hitting 90% for only one single can you really expect progress there?
I've been making progress using this.

That's what I've been using for the last 8 months. 90% has been working fine. When I started I was working up to 465 singles, slowly transitioning up to 505 singles. This was about meet time. Post-meet I have been working that up, and will continue to do so. I am up to 545 singles sight now. 80 pound singles increase in 8 months.

Have never performed supramaximal work, so not really sure what you mean.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.