Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #51
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Let me know if you want to merge logs Fazc. I am up for it.

Quads (and hamstrings) received excellent stimulation from sumos yesterday. Very good session.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #52
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Let me know if you want to merge logs Fazc. I am up for it.
Yeah for sure, that'd be good!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #53
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Yeah for sure, that'd be good!
OK to call it:

Steak, eggs, whiskey and a beard log?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #54
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Hey:

Steak, Eggs, Whisky and Two Beards Log

What's manlier than a beard, two beards!!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #55
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Hey:

Steak, Eggs, Whisky and Two Beards Log

What's manlier than a beard, two beards!!
Great. I will rename your log and merge mine into yours...

Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #56
Fazc
Max Brawn

Another decent thread:

Training with high frequency - Pendlay Forum
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #57
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Enjoyed that thread, have gone back to it few times.

Some more reading for those interested in high frequency stuff...

Q and A - John Broz's approach to bulgarian/krastev training - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Bulgarian-style Training for Strength & Powerlifting ? AmpedTraining

http://www.ampedtraining.com/2010/ob...ength-training

Edit; My own expeirences...

I'm currently doing a bastardized version of the texas method - that is to say the work of the TM is covered but I'm working up to a heavy single (training max) before TM work. On non-TM days (tuesday, thursday, and every other saturday) I'm also lifting... most always workin up to a mid-intensity/mid-volume snatch or clean and power jerk, or both, in addition to low volume squats (ususally a heavy single and a few quick triples and doubles around 70% 1RM; I don't go by that % but its usually where the numbers fall). Upper body work is usually DB work, medium to low volume, low to medium intensity -- these are the lifts that I don't normally do in my 'scheduled' training, such as incline presses, floor presses, etc.

The lower body seems to handle volume, intensity, and frequency very well without huge drops in weight lifted as long as there is a foundation built up. Or in other words, the drop necessary at the start isn't huge and quickly regained. The upper body stuff however doesn't handle it to well. You should be able to handle any specific upper lift 3x a week as long as the weekly volume isn't to high and the volume of the high intensity stuff is kept relatively low. Emphasis on weekly. More than that and you usually won't be able to recovery enough and you'll be feeling it (~70% of your 1RM feels like your 1rm plus some aches and pains). Mixing up the lifts usually helps keep this stuff in check if the original plan is off track; different lifts, grips, intensities, etc.

Others thoughts on high frequency... A foundation has to be establish. Two ways to do this: 1) Starting lifting every planned day (4,5 or 6 days a week) but keeping both intensity and volume pretty low. Slowly build up intensity on 2 of those days, then 3, 4, and eventually on all 6 days. Once the targeted intensity is matched on all intended lifting days, begin building up in volume... 2 days, then 3, 4, etc. Option 2) begin lifting 3 days a week and build up intensity then volume OR volume then intensity on all three days. Once you get pretty high on those, begin adding in additional days with low volume, low intensity work and slowly build up on those. I personally have used option 2. Starting to high I've seen it negitively effect 1-2 of my TM based sessions, but being conservative and keeping the work I do fast (lifts can be made without much concontration, no grinding reps, etc.) I've been able to increase intensity and volume on my off days without issue. In fact, if I skip one of my additional lifting days, the following training session actually feels off and I often perform sub-par.

Last edited by Pull14; 11-01-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #58
Fazc
Max Brawn

Pull, excellent contribution. I'll be keeping a close eye on your log.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #59
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Pull, excellent contribution. I'll be keeping a close eye on your log.

Thanks!
Thanks Fazc... and I'll start posting all of my work as I've really just been posting the TM-days on the forum.

On a side, I can't say my method is the most efficient, but my numbers are going up, I've yet to fail on an attempt, and most importantly, I'm enjoying the frequency of training. The additional work also allows me some more room for feeding

Last edited by Pull14; 11-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #60
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Thanks Fazc... and I'll start posting all of my work as I've really just been posting the TM-days on the forum.

On a side, I can't say my method is the most efficient, but my numbers are going up, I've yet to fail on an attempt, and most importantly, I'm enjoying the frequency of training. The additional work also allows me some more room for feeding
Well efficient or not, you are trying to evolve/tinker and that's always where the best learning comes into play.