Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #541
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I've been think about my own training. I have been going at 90% for quite some time now and it is awesome but I'm wondering if I should cycle a little bit and say train at 80-90%, looking to add weight to the bar each week so that my 80% at the start is 90% as I progress?

Example - deadlift = 180kg so 80% = 144 or 145kg when rounded up.
So I would look to do 2-4 reps @ 145kg for between 10-20 reps and a max of 5 sets. I would try and get to 162.5kg in this instance using the same rep/set scheme.

I have outlined my alternative which is 90% training for singles between 4-10.

Edit: 80% makes sense the more I think about because my conditioning is woeful and I am getting too bogged down looking for singles PRs. I am going for squat and deadlift PRs this week and will steer clear for a couple of months. The way I see it, if get to 165x4x3 or even 165x3x5 in deadlift for example, I will have gotten stronger. More clock punching is needed.

Last edited by Kuytrider; 04-07-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #542
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have you thought about working a combination of heavy and lighter. I'm working with a lifter elsewhere on a forum of self-regulating progression. It basically starts with an 85% single and works down to an all out set with lighter weight. The all out set has a rep goal, that if met, triggers a weight increase for your heavy set.

Nothing magical, but interesting.

I could detail an example for you if you'd like.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #543
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Have you thought about working a combination of heavy and lighter. I'm working with a lifter elsewhere on a forum of self-regulating progression. It basically starts with an 85% single and works down to an all out set with lighter weight. The all out set has a rep goal, that if met, triggers a weight increase for your heavy set.

Nothing magical, but interesting.

I could detail an example for you if you'd like.
Sure, I'd like to have a look at it. I'm more interested in the heavier weights but it would be good to see an alternative.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #544
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Sure, I'd like to have a look at it. I'm more interested in the heavier weights but it would be good to see an alternative.
Everything I do is heavy weight. It starts with a single at 85%, but that top single will get pushed up as you progress.

I am simply putting this out as a method of auto-regulation. There are hundreds of ways to do things like this. I want to express that before I post it. Some folks don't like auto-regulation, but I like having a goal each working, as well as a defined progression method. If you don't, ignore this.

--Set 1 - 85% of your 1RM x 1 rep
--Set 2 - Drop 5% from first set x 2 reps
--Set 3 - Drop 10% from first set x 3 reps
--Set 4 - Drop 15% from first set x 4 reps
--Set 5 - Drop 20% from first set x max reps

If you hit 7-8+ reps on set 5, perform a 6th set with the same weight. If you hit 5+ reps on set 6, add weight the next time in the gym.

Basically you're doing a heavy set and then working down to 2 all out sets in the 5-10 rep range. You will bump your max set as you progress. It starts at 85% and then moves up.

Once you start to hit 5-6 reps on set 6, you will be adding weight pretty frequently, driving that max set up. That's the hope, at least.

Again, merely one example. I have a 1000 more in my tool bag.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #545
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

I can see how this works, there is plenty of method and no madness Even 12-16 weeks on something like this could yield excellent results.

I'll probably opt for the more aggressive option for now but I do like to see programs like this, a refreshing change from the dross seen on other forums. I have 3 hard sessions and a fortnight to make a decision anyways
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #546
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

So, I've been thinking a lot about the plan post-Meet. There are a few key changes I want to make and approximate time-frames to do so.

May to July

Drop from around 98kg to around 87kg in bodyweight. I don't think this will be a massive issue in itself. I know I have that much to lose. The headache will of course be in doing it while minimising strength loss.

The idea being that at 87kg bodyweight I'm within range for a competition weight of 83kg. I've talked to a few guys about dropping water weight for competition and I have some decent strategies. If I'm going in the direction of attempting to be my absolute best then being lean(er) and cutting water pre-Meet are standard practice.

If I can survive this period with about the same strength level or a slight loss then it would have been a success.

August to December

Concentrate on strength increases, particularly in partial and band assisted work.

This will be pretty standard fare. I imagine my actual routine will vary as it always does but a few constants always remain:

1) Loading/De-loading patterns.
2) The same basic exercises and variations. (Squats, Partials, GMs, Raw Squats etc)

The split and sets/reps will probably vary, it's inevitable and I'm past the point of worrying about it. I generally go with the flow on stuff like this nowadays.

At some point here I will compete to qualify for the Nationals. This will be with my current gear.

January to April

Get tighter gear! I'll get some very tight gear at this point and begin to get used to it. The emphasis on partial and band work should pay off at this point.

April should be the Nationals again. Entering at 83kg.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #547
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

So are you going to do higher rep stuff to help with dieting?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #548
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Not this time mate. It worked the last few years because I honestly wasn't concerned about my strength (you remember the whole retired from Powerlifting thing before I joined this forum).

This time it'll be all diet related and trying to maintain strength, to do that I'll stick to the same type of thing as the last 6-9 months.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #549
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have some updates to add. The last 2 months I have hit a great groove but haven't been sharing my thoughts. I haven't changed much of anything lately, and really like what I'm doing. More soon, perhaps tonight.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #550
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Good idea. I'm experimenting with the whole carb night thing now which works well cos it stops me eating crap during the day. Gonna look to break the 100 mark and then hopefully get some rebound muscle gain. Not looking to lose too much, just recomp the stomach into guns

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote