Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #531
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'm not saying you are, I agree it's something I've realised recently which has resulted in me pulling more often.

Hopefully my conditioning will pick soon, I wanna train more!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #532
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just trying to make sure I was being clear.

There are many lurkers reading this and I didn't want to confuse anyone.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #533
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Learned some interesting things about volume and frequency on the deadlift the last 2 months. Body handled deads 2x a week if they were variations and not from the floor. In fact, using this my deads are moving back up again. So I think I found a nice sweet spot.

Been sticking with RDLs, low rack pulls and Rippetoe/Starr/Uber shrugs.
Frankly, I find it inspirational that a guy like you who has decades of experience and has forgotten more about training than most people now, who lifts seriously heavy weights and has a total most people could dream of is STILL learning. There are lots of lifters here on MAB who are the same and it couldn't set a better example for younger lifters.

Personally, it makes me want to learn how to lift heavy weights before I actually do if that makes sense. Finding out what works for you may be frustrating, but it's also exciting, especially when breakthroughs are made. I found that 4 days a week works really well and that a brief 6 day experiment was fatally flawed due to unnecessary exercises. When I decide to increase session frequency again, it will be only to do the basics and variations more often.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #534
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Ripp talking to Marty Gallagher.

Starting Strength

Some interesting talk about the brutality of old school training. Check out about the 17 minute mark on. Some conversation about the use of max and back off sets. Plenty of other goodies too.

Also check out the talk after 26 minute mark about the routine of a powerlifter named Mark (Shellay?) who was pulling 880 and squatting a grand. Monday we would work up to a single on squats and bench. Done. Thursday - deadlift cycle, done. No assistance work.

"It's hard times for plain vanilla."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #535
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Check out Martys book. He lays out the routines of Fantano, Coan, Furnas, Chailet, Karwoski, Cassidy, Bednarski, Yates, and Pearl. I cant wait for the second part of this interview!
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #536
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Check out Martys book. He lays out the routines of Fantano, Coan, Furnas, Chailet, Karwoski, Cassidy, Bednarski, Yates, and Pearl. I cant wait for the second part of this interview!
Will do. Didn't know he had a book. Thanks!

Is it "The Purposeful Primitive"?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-04-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #537
MonsterMike
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17

Training Exp: 11
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yeah I'm not saying I never pull off the floor. Simply that it's the most taxing variation. I did low rack deads twice in 4-5 days this week and they don't tax me nearly as hard as floor pulls.

On another note, I have some changes planned myself. My bench is in a holding pattern so I am going to introduce a bit more volume. Nothing substantial, but a little tester.
I agree with this... I do the same thing...lots of rack pulls and speed pulls (ive found speed pulls to be key for me)..I rarely pull from the floor anymore...I believe there is a fine line between undertraining and overtraining the deadlift. Matt brown at my gym didnt pull for almost 12 weeks because he tore his tricep and had surgery....he comes back and pulls 810 EASY.....he said taking the time off was the best thing for him...I agree with that, but you also see even guys at Westside (who NEVER pulled back in the day) pulling a lot more from the floor...like you said its very taxing, and getting to the meet in one piece is better than not...always better to undertrain than overtrain is what I say.
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #538
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

My bench is stagnating and I need to try something different. Post-meet I am going to move to 2x per week while adding some volume.

Day 1 - Bench Press
Set 1 - Heavy single
Set 2 - Drop 5% - 2 rep set
Set 3 - Drop 5% - 3 rep set
Set 4 - Drop 5% - 4 rep set
Set 5 - Drop 5% - 5+ rep set

Last set I am going to push for max reps. When I can hit 7-8 on set 5 I am going to add weight on set one. I need a simple, self-regulating form of progression and am going to see how I like this.

Day 2 - Bench Press + Close Grip Bench Press
Set 1 - Bench Press single
Set 2 - Close Grip Bench Press triple
Set 3 - Bench Press single
Set 4 - Close Grip Bench Press triple
Set 5 - Bench Press single
Set 6 - Close Grip Bench Press triple

Overall not a crazy increase in volume, but it is more than I am doing right now.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #539
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Did you not just hit a PR for a double in the bench?
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #540
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Did you not just hit a PR for a double in the bench?
Yes, but it was kind of a PR by default.

I am still dialing in bench. I have found a sweet spot with squats and deads, but bench is in a rut the last 4 months. I brought up intensity and got a bump, and then it flatlined. So now it's time to try intensity with a little more volume.