Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #421
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Sounds good Mab.

I've been considering how to add in the raw work, I might take this opportunity to go from working each lift/variation three times a week to bumping it up to four. That's a fairly big step up for me since it now means at least two sessions per week will be consecutive. But working up to an eventual full body six days a week has been a long term goal for me and this may be a decent way to begin.

Not quite sure how I'll set this up without interfering too much with what I'm doing already.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #422
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Thinking about this a little more, this type of schedule makes a little more sense. Sticking to two exercises a session, with the exception of Day 6 which is relatively short anyway. This is pretty much my current routine unchanged, except with the addition of Power Cleans on Day 1, Raw Squat on Day 3 and Raw Bench on Day 6.

Day 1: Equipped Bench, Power Cleans
Day 2: Equipped Squat, Equipped Partial Dead
Day 3: Close Grip with Bands, Raw Squat
Day 4: Arched GM, Bent Row
Day 5: Slingshot Bench, Shrugs
Day 6: Raw Bench, Partial Squat, RDL

Might pilot something like that in the next block.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #423
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Thinking about this a little more, this type of schedule makes a little more sense. Sticking to two exercises a session, with the exception of Day 6 which is relatively short anyway. This is pretty much my current routine unchanged, except with the addition of Power Cleans on Day 1, Raw Squat on Day 3 and Raw Bench on Day 6.

Day 1: Equipped Bench, Power Cleans
Day 2: Equipped Squat, Equipped Partial Dead
Day 3: Close Grip with Bands, Raw Squat
Day 4: Arched GM, Bent Row
Day 5: Slingshot Bench, Shrugs
Day 6: Raw Bench, Partial Squat, RDL

Might pilot something like that in the next block.
Looks good to me. If I were to use raw bench I would probably hit it last in the week before a deload. You going to stick with triples on it?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #424
Fazc
Max Brawn

Cheers Btb, yep for six triples. I'm thinking of starting real light, perfect form. Treating them like an assistance exercise. Hopefully that should keep any aches and pain at bay.

I won't hesitate to drop them if they're causing more harm than good though, but it would be a shame to.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #425
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I thought about using some raw bench, but I think I would need to keep it a max 5 rep set to stay on the safe side.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #426
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Was talking with Pull about how my first heavy single often feels very awkward. This has been causing me to think about my build up, and some possible staggering variations. Instead of simple doing a heavy single(s) and then backing off for doubles with squats and deadlifts, I might try the following this week:

Numbers are merely examples

Squats
415 x 1
445 x 1
425 x 2
465 x 1
445 x 2
485 x 1
465 x 2
505 x 1
465 x 2

It basically plays out about the same when looking at singles, doubles and warmup sets, but is not so focused on rushing up the ladder. Slightly added volume...a few reps.

Thoughts? Should I possibly do back off singles instead of doubles until I hit my bigger number for the day? This is the big question I am considering.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #427
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I thought about using some raw bench, but I think I would need to keep it a max 5 rep set to stay on the safe side.
Yep sounds sensible, I'll probably be using those types of weights when doing triples.

Quote:
Was talking with Pull about how my first heavy single often feels very awkward. This has been causing me to think about my build up, and some possible staggering variations.
Interesting variation. I'm actually the same way on some lifts, such as the Bench. My first rep feels really crappy. Not sure why this is.

Sounds like a good variation to try though, I'll be watching!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #428
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Interesting variation. I'm actually the same way on some lifts, such as the Bench. My first rep feels really crappy. Not sure why this is.
Bench and squats are like this for me. I would like to say it's simply the CNS, but deadlifts never feel like that on the first rep. usually that's the easiest.

Perhaps it is the CNS and I am simply forgetting how taxing deadlifts truly are. In any case, 90% work is 90% work (I hope). We shall see...

Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #429
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Bench and squats are like this for me. I would like to say it's simply the CNS, but deadlifts never feel like that on the first rep. usually that's the easiest.

Perhaps it is the CNS and I am simply forgetting how taxing deadlifts truly are. In any case, 90% work is 90% work (I hope). We shall see...
These kind of realisations are what I find fascinating, the differences between each lift and how to train them.

Very much looking forward to seeing how this pans out.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #430
MonsterMike
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 11
Fav Exercise: Squat
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

Same here...for me i have found its bc i am not concentrating on what i am doing....or not concentrating hard enough....and a combination of getting used to moving the weight, as BTB said: getting the CNS into it...lifting is violent on the body, so if all aspects are not in line and working together it feels heavy for me....usually i am thinking about the workout as a whole and not each lift individually...also, lets face it....weight is weight....i mean....i have had 500+ in my hands to bench and i still think 225 is heavy LOL....weights are heavy, is what it is.
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote