Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #311
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Since 5/3/1 is such slow progression, wouldn't switching lifts be a bad idea every two cycles. I mean, would you gain enough on the main lift in that time period? I think I like your idea of using different heights for assistance work better.
Yes, it would be a bad idea! The example I gave was just something that made most sense to me given the scenario but it's not anything close to ideal.

Quote:
And wouldn't using different heights each week allow you to increase the weight on 5/3/1 and still keep the reps in the moderate rage. Plus have the advantage of working different parts of the lift (ie conjugate style)?
But if you are still at the level where you can make progress Deadlifting week in week out, albeit by varying the reps, then what is the point of the conjugation?

You gotta remember you're not Edmund Hilary and the Conjugate system isn't Mount Everest. You don't just begin conjugate training "because it's there!" there has to be a reason to do so it's not an end in itself.

Lifting at max levels all the time, every time is the BEST way to progress as fast as possible. When we're beginners this is what we do, as we advanced we can't do this every session so we need to periodise more and more to allow us to still have sessions where we lift to our max (new PRs) as often as possible. Conjugation is just another way which allows us when we're sufficiently advanced to lift to max as often as possible.

But you cannot and should not jump to it before you have exhausted other options. At best you'll slow progress, at worst halt it.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #312
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
But you cannot and should not jump to it before you have exhausted other options. At best you'll slow progress, at worst halt it.
Agreed, which is why I haven't jumped to it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #313
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
as we advanced we can't do this every session so we need to periodise more and more to allow us to still have sessions where we lift to our max (new PRs) as often as possible.
This is why I only go balls-out on the final 5-3-1 week. And also limit accessory work during this period.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #314
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Don't feel like you need to justify what you do OR, I'm not accusing you or telling you what to do. As such feel free to disagree to further the conversation.

We're just chatting
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #315
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Don't feel like you need to justify what you do OR, I'm not accusing you or telling you what to do. As such feel free to disagree to further the conversation.

We're just chatting
Oh I'm not justifying, just agreeing with you. I pretty much knew the answers when I asked the question, just wanted to see if anybody had a different view on things. The cycling of deadlift height was recommended to me a while ago, but there's a reason I haven't jumped into implementing it yet; the exact reasons we talked about.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #316
Off Road
Max Brawn

But I am intrigued by using different heights as accessory work to my full range deadlifts...
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #317
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
But I am intrigued by using different heights as accessory work to my full range deadlifts...
Then get on a proper routine! Haha!

I jest of course... somewhat
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #318
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Then get on a proper routine! Haha!

I jest of course... somewhat
Not a fan of Juggernaut?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #319
Fazc
Max Brawn

I thought you were talking about 5/3/1 just now?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #320
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
I thought you were talking about 5/3/1 just now?
I did 5/3/1 for a full year, then switched to Juggs. Ended up getting hurt but was making really good progress. After healing I did a couple of cycles of 5/3/1 and have now switched to Juggs again. This time I won't be so aggressive with the loading and stay just short of failure so not to get hurt again.

I was just using 5/3/1 as an example for everyone else reading the conversation as not everybody is as familiar with Juggs. They are close enough in setup to work within the conversation we had.