Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #291
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

You know just for anecdotal amusement I'd like to mention something. I was recently over at a bodybuilding site and someone had said he thinks powerlifters "overthink" their training. Spoken like a true intermediate! No doubt the thinking of someone who hasn't reached an advanced level - and maybe never will - and won't know what to do when his HIT training stops delivering results.

Anyway, it's good to be in the company of overthinkers who can and will achieve what all those "hardgainers" think to be impossible!
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #292
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
You know just for anecdotal amusement I'd like to mention something. I was recently over at a bodybuilding site and someone had said he thinks powerlifters "overthink" their training. Spoken like a true intermediate! No doubt the thinking of someone who hasn't reached an advanced level - and maybe never will - and won't know what to do when his HIT training stops delivering results.

Anyway, it's good to be in the company of overthinkers who can and will achieve what all those "hardgainers" think to be impossible!
That's easy for someone to say if they've never been to the advanced stage and stalled on squats for 6 months. I spent 2 years stagnating with my squat and bench press, trying a dozen different things to get them to move.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #293
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

the mind-muscle connection may be the single greatest training concept in the history of the universe

/endsarcasm

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #294
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That's easy for someone to say if they've never been to the advanced stage and stalled on squats for 6 months. I spent 2 years stagnating with my squat and bench press, trying a dozen different things to get them to move.
Yep. Proof is in the pudding after all, we've both been hitting all-time PRs and we're both close to or at Elite level. And besides, as I've mentioned before I enjoy this thread for the chat as well.

Tank, you might be surprised to hear I do actually think there's something to that!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #295
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
And besides, as I've mentioned before I enjoy this thread for the chat as well.
Same here. I have spent 20 years thinking about bodybuilding programs. This is a new frontier for me, and a way to apply new knowledge and ideas.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #296
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
the mind-muscle connection may be the single greatest training concept in the history of the universe

/endsarcasm
As the saying goes,...

"If your mind can see it, and your heart can believe it, then you will achieve it!"
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #297
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Easy for the beginner-intermediate indeed. What's worse is knowing people who have been stalled for a long time yet hold to a certain cookie-cutter training routine like it's the gospel and think there's simply no other way to go. And when they stall on an exercise what do they do? Just switch to another movement (often a machine movement) until they stall on that and switch again. Sometimes they'll come back to the first movement a year or more later after running out of options only to find they haven't gained any strength at all.

And yet they aren't at all interested in learning or trying something different. *boggle* I mean it's one thing to try different things and fail but to stick to the same thing no matter what just for the sake of dogma I just can't understand.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #298
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

First week of this block, I've hit the gym 8 times this week. 6 regular evening sessions and 2 morning sessions. I feel pretty rough, but apart from a slow start earlier in the week I ended the week pretty well. I'm going to try and push next week up to at least 10 sessions if not all 12.

I want to rearrange the lower body stuff a little to accommodate better Deadlift training, still thinking about that one though.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #299
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

I want to rearrange the lower body stuff a little to accommodate better Deadlift training, still thinking about that one though.
I have been thinking a lot about this myself lately. I find myself holding on to some of the things that worked in 2011 like a safety blanket.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #300
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post

And yet they aren't at all interested in learning or trying something different. *boggle* I mean it's one thing to try different things and fail but to stick to the same thing no matter what just for the sake of dogma I just can't understand.
One thing I have seen over the years is that younger lifters are quick to dismiss practices that seasoned lifters might be using. They haven't yet had the opportunity to train with, or learn from successful athletes and lack a piece of the puzzle.

I had a younger gentlemen approach me today. He had a chance to regularly train with one of the athletes over at EliteFTS, and asked me if it was worth is. My response was:

Quote:
Do it.

You will not believe what you will learn training with people who are experienced. It will change your life and provide you with levels of motivation you can't imagine.