Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #211
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks for your thoughts Fazc. Appreciated, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
That also sounds good. Almost like a Texas Method approach.
I have pretty much decided to stick with this for the next run. I had used a semi-HLM the first 2 cycles, so it's basically back to where I was with some minor changes.

During my first 2 aggressive loading cycles my squats were:
  • Heavy Squats - 5 singles.
  • High Box Squats - Heavy weight but were very easy on the body.
  • Ghetto Chain Squats - A solid moderate workout.

Next week I will be doing:
  • Heavy Squats - 5 singles.
  • Light Squats - 10% drop off in weight for singles.
  • Moderate Squats - Work up to heavy single, drop down for doubles.

Chains won't come until the new year. When I begin using them it will be on moderate days.

My deadlifts will be similar:
  • Heavy Deadlifts - 5 singles.
  • Light Deadlifts - 20% drop off in weight for singles.
  • Moderate Deadlifts - 10% drop off in weight for singles.

A little of the Tom Martin caution on deads. Still finding that sweet spot.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #212
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

You know Steve, I really like the look of that. All training adaptation directed toward the lifts that matter.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #213
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post

I'm interested in his approach. He seems to go up tp heavy singles (90% plus) every single session, then back off for a variable number of reps.
I am curious to see if I can gradually train up my lighter days over the coming year and bring them closer to my heaviest day. Ultimately it would be nice to have adapted to that level, though I do still wonder how much progress I can continue to make running things as is.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If I can continue to add a quality amount of weight to my 3 lift total then I might not worry about pushing myself for 3 heavier style days.

Perhaps I should staple myself down for the next 6 months until my next meet and see where a simple HLM takes me. This is probably what I will do. No need to rush on any of this. Plus I am an old geezer.

It's easier sometimes to worry about the what ifs instead of focusing on the effectiveness of the here and now.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #214
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's easier sometimes to worry about the what ifs instead of focusing on the effectiveness of the here and now.
Yeah well this is the thing isn't it and is what I keep coming back to at the start of each week. What we have been doing is working incredibly well, if anyone else was in our position and looking to change things we'd tell them to stick with it.

Perhaps these options we're hashing out should be implemented when progress stalls, rather than just to see what we can handle now.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #215
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
What we have been doing is working incredibly well, if anyone else was in our position and looking to change things we'd tell them to stick with it. .
I think you should stick with it.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #216
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

me too. it's all about whether the big 3 are improving, right?

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #217
Fazc
Max Brawn

Well it's a lot of talk, to someone reading this I'm sure it may appear frivolous but I have other reasons why I enjoy this thread; partly it's because I enjoy the discourse with Btb, Pull, Tann and the others and partly because it makes a pleasant change to talk about my own training rather than advise people on theirs.

Essentially I'm doing the same routine as we started on two months ago. To summarise the big points of interest/contention for me these past two months have been:

1) High Box squat being removed/replaced due to injury potential in set up (both).
2) Reduction in loading time from 2 weeks down to 1 week (mostly me).

Which leaves me with this, virtually the same as before. The minor tweaks are mainly for safety.

1: Bench, 3 Boards
2: Squat, Deadlift
3: Banded CGBP
4: Banded Squat, Partial Squat, SLDL
5: Bench
6: Squat, Partial

Btb's change to alternating SQ and DL each day is a relatively big one I suppose, it's not something I'll be trying.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #218
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Well it's a lot of talk, to someone reading this I'm sure it may appear frivolous but I have other reasons why I enjoy this thread; partly it's because I enjoy the discourse with Btb, Pull, Tann and the others and partly because it makes a pleasant change to talk about my own training rather than advise people on theirs.
that's understandable.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #219
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I enjoy this thread for the same reasons.

It's a refreshing way to work through ideas. Though I present a lot of ideas, they aren't always coming from a place if dissatisfaction with my current approach, as I am sure Fazc and others understand.

The concept of adaptability and increased frequency is like a new toy, a paradigm smashing one at that. Because this is a new concept I think about it often. This thread is a great place for me to vomit up ideas.

Most of my personal changes are minor to me, and more refinements than anything. At times during the last 8 weeks I have done too much, and in some cases too little. To the casual onlooker it might seem like I am making a lot of changes each week, but I am not.

I've split up squats and deads, and made minor adjustments so I wouldn't burn out on deadlifts as quickly, nor injure myself on squats. Overall I am pretty much doing the same thing I did on week one with a few minor chess pieces moved around here or there to remove some misguided programming flaws, poorly planned from day one.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #220
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Though I present a lot of ideas, they aren't always coming from a place if dissatisfaction with my current approach, as I am sure Fazc and others understand.
I completely understand that. I will often play devil's advocate in threads just to squeeze out further conversation and new ideas. Doesn't mean I want to switch anything, just means I'm interested.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote