Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #131
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Thanks Pull,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
I like Fazc's heavy week - light week approach with ya guys going balls outs as opposed to working with daily max type stuff. Fazc, will some kind of deload follow week 2 as previously done or will you restart the short cycle? Just taking a guess... 70% with no back offs may be good enough?
I'd hopefully just continue cycling the 2 weeks indefinitely if that were possible. I'm banking on the light week at 70% being good enough for recovery, if it isn't then I wouldn't hesitate to drop lower.

So a typical month would be:

Week 1: Heavy
Week 2: Easy 70% or less
Week 3: Heavy
Week 4: Easy 70% or less
etc
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #132
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One of the things I am strongly considering is alternating squats and deads. I find that doing both in a workout is distracting. I cant stop thinking about the second lift, and the energy required, while doing the first.

I might try:

--Squat (H) and Bench
--Deadlift and Core
--Squat and OHP
--Deadlift and Core
--Squat and Bench (H)
--Deadlift and Core

First squat workout would be heaviest. Going heavy on squats is mentally challenging for me, so I would prefer to start the week with heavy squats. I believe I would save my heavy bench session for the last press workout of the week.

The only uncertainty would be heavy deads. I think perhaps they would work well on day 4 if the first deadlift session was a moderate session.

Just tossing out ideas, as always. Nothing carved in stone. I am trying to resist the urge to tinker for tinker's sake, but I am learning so much using this program that adjustments are almost needed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #133
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Squats or Deads 6 days a week?

Oh, you've upped the stakes there my cross-atlantic friend!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #134
Fazc
Max Brawn

I see your hypothetical routine and I raise you:

6 days a week, a Press and a Lower body lift each day.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #135
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I see your hypothetical routine and I raise you:

6 days a week, a Press and a Lower body lift each day.
I did do a program called the "Drunk Russian" Where I did a press 5 day a week. The frequency was ok as long as the volume and intensity were regulated properly.

I have to admit, I did wonder if I could hang benching more frequently. This Sling Shot is like a magic pill.

Quote:
Squats or Deads 6 days a week?
Well just splitting them up. I know Anderson could do both on a given day, but my cajones don't like it...

Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #136
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I must also add that presses feel like deload lifts while using this plan.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #137
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The frequency was ok as long as the volume and intensity were regulated properly.

I have to admit, I did wonder if I could hang benching more frequently. This Sling Shot is like a magic pill.
It certainly is, but the whole 'regulation frequently' thing isn't my forte.

Quote:
Well just splitting them up. I know Anderson could do both on a given day, but my cajones don't like it...
Yeah, I was thinking a C&P type of approach with some sort of Squat or Deadlift variation each day, alternating partial movements with full range ones.

It would give space to do more overhead type work for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #138
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
It certainly is, but the whole 'regulation frequently' thing isn't my forte.
Mine either. Heck, I have a hard enough time sticking to a split. These last 6 5 weeks have changed that though. I am enjoying my training.

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking a C&P type of approach with some sort of Squat or Deadlift variation each day, alternating partial movements with full range ones.

It would give space to do more overhead type work for me.
I think it would work well with the right lifts.

Off topic, when not doing a heavy, heavy day, I have to allow myself more freedom to train "up" to how I feel. Though I have been setting PRs on close grip and high box days, often times I have not been training based on how I feel. Specifically, if I feel good I still stick with the plan even if it feels easy or light.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #139
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Mine either. Heck, I have a hard enough time sticking to a split. These last 6 5 weeks have changed that though. I am enjoying my training.
Aye I've had a similar experience. Perhaps the switching was related to fatigue rather than just CRC'ing!

Quote:
I think it would work well with the right lifts.
Definitely. Although this is all still hypothetical, we are making great progress as is and switching down to 1 ON, 1 OFF won't change that.

I'm going to shoot an old friend of mine an email as he is a big proponent of this and just get his take as well.

Quote:
Off topic, when not doing a heavy, heavy day, I have to allow myself more freedom to train "up" to how I feel. Though I have been setting PRs on close grip and high box days, often times I have not been training based on how I feel. Specifically, if I feel good I still stick with the plan even if it feels easy or light.
Good discipline to have.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #140
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'm going to shoot an old friend of mine an email as he is a big proponent of this and just get his take as well.
Talked to a guy I know who has trained like this, he was one of the top SHW's at Raw Unity last year. He said the amount of working we're putting ourselves through was about all he could stand for 1 week at a time, that is to mean he did do 1 week heavy and 1 week light when using a similar weekly volume to what we were doing. That seems to be the sweet spot for older and drug-free lifters.

So there we have it!

I may still adjust the routine again a little, I don't feel as much a need for the Partial Squats any more. I made some adjustments to my walkout and I feel fine coming out of the rack now. I may do some intermittently if I feel the need but I doubt I'll plan for them again.

What that does leave room for is more full Squats and moving the Deadlift earlier in the week when I'm fresher. Something like this:

Day 1: Shirt Bench, 3 Board
Day 2: Squat, Partial Dead
Day 3: CGBP with Bands
Day 4: Deadlift, High Box Squat
Day 5: Bench Press
Day 6: Squat, Trap Bar
Day 7: OFF
- Light Week

Rinse repeat. Changes are highlighted.

Last edited by Fazc; 12-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.