Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #121
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Changes coming. Some notes:

--Rack Pulls. I am doing heavy low rack deadlifts 2 days before heavy floor pulls. On heavy floor pull day I feel completely destroyed. The rack deads are very heavy but doing a lot of good. I just need more rest after before pulling @ 90%.

I need to do racks on Monday, lighter doubles work on Wednesday and heavy 90% singles on Friday.

--OHPs. Time to drop rep work about 2-3 per set. I was sore and weak on close grip day and it hindered my efforts. I am going to try and keep OHPs to doubles or triples.

--Close Grip Inclines. Simply too hard for me to unrack. I believe I might simply work up to a heavy single based on how I feel that day and then drop back down for doubles and triples.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #122
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

6 Day Approach V2.0

• Day 1 – Bench (A Workout)
• Day 2 – Squat/Dead (A Workout)
• Day 3 – OHP/Bench (B Workout)
• Day 4 – Squat/Dead (B Workout)
• Day 5 – Bench (C Workout)
• Day 6 - Squat/Dead (C Workout)

Bench Workouts

Bench A Workout
Week 1

--Heavy Singles x 5 reps, same weight.
--Drop weight, 3 sets of doubles.
--Drop weight, 3 sets of triples.

Week 2

--Heavy Singles x 3 reps, same weight as week one, then 3 ramping singles with last rep as possible PR attempt.

Bench B Workout
--Military Press 5 x 2 reps.
--One Arm Dumbbell Press…TBD

Bench C Workout

Week 1

--Close Grip Bench Press, 5 x 1

Week 2

--Close Grip Heavy Singles x 3 reps, same weight as week one, then 3 ramping singles with last rep as possible PR attempt.

Squat/Deadlift Workouts

Squat/Deadlift A Workout
--Squat Singles x 5 reps, same weight.
--Rack Pulls, 5 x 1

Squat/Deadlift B Workout
--High Box Squats, 5 x 3
--Deadlift 5 x 2 - Moderate weight.

Squat/Deadlift A Workout
--Deadlifts x 5 reps, same weight.
--Squats with chains TBD

*Each bench/OHP session also includes a few sets of weighted situps and side bends.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #123
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Some further readings on high frequency. Not so much Enderton's article but rather the links he provides below it. Obviously all on Bulgarian type training, had a collection of russian stuff to but lost the links... will post when I find.

Muscle Dog
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #124
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Reading through these links now, very interesting.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #125
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It looks interesting BtB. I am not brave enough to try something like that. I'm glad their are pioneers in this world.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #126
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
It looks interesting BtB. I am not brave enough to try something like that. I'm glad their are pioneers in this world.
So far so good. After about rep 2 on most days I question my sanity.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #127
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

A minor change to my routine:

6 Day Approach V2.0

• Day 1 – Bench (A Workout)
• Day 2 – Squat/Dead (A Workout)
• Day 3 – Bench (B Workout)
• Day 4 – Squat/Dead (B Workout)
• Day 5 – Bench (C Workout)
• Day 6 - Squat/Dead (C Workout)

Bench Workouts

Bench A Workout

Shirted Bench Press
--Work upto a max single, aiming for a PR

Bench B Workout

CGBP with Bands

Bench C Workout

Bench Press

Squat/Deadlift Workouts

Squat/Deadlift A Workout

Squat

Partial Deadlift

Squat/Deadlift B Workout

High Box Squat

Trap Bar Deadlift

Squat/Deadlift C Workout

Sumo Deadlift

Partial Squat

1 Week Heavy, 1 Week Light - This will emphasise my own way of training, it's very difficult for me to moderate my training. I will generally go for and get PRs whenever I lift heavy, daily maxes don't work well for me. However I do need to moderate that so 1 week where I go all out seems to work. I also don't feel I get as much from the second week, it seems to be more about surviving than anything else.

The Light week will entail working upto 70% and no back offs. For sessions A and C and not B, so I'll only train 4 days per week then. Probably a slightly lower calorie intake as well.

Last edited by Fazc; 12-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #128
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I also don't feel I get as much from the second week, it seems to be more about surviving than anything else.
This is how I am starting to feel. By week 2 my lats are so fatigued that deadlift workouts are nearly a wash.

My squats seem better capable of handling the volume but I have been wasting time on box squats when I feel a light squat day would be more beneficial.

One note I would mention to anyone considering this method...start slow. You will learn a lot during the first 6 weeks. I feel I may have been better off first adding a second deadlift day for a while and slowly building it from a lighter day to a moderate day.

Going real heavy has really paid off, but I moved from square A to square C in some aspects, skipping an intermediary stage. This sounds worse than it is, of course. I could continue to run the program as is, but I simply don't feel my deadlift workouts during week 2 are giving me much.

I welcome all thoughts, of course.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #129
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This is how I am starting to feel. By week 2 my lats are so fatigued that deadlift workouts are nearly a wash.
Right, I was the same way during the last block. My last session was a wash. It was actually the reason I switched to the max single + back offs in an attempt to lessen the workload. Didn't work!

Quote:
My squats seem better capable of handling the volume but I have been wasting time on box squats when I feel a light squat day would be more beneficial.
Right, well if you're doing just a 1 week cycle, then you do have the option of squatting twice in that period rather than just once with one other variation. For example:

Day 1: Squat

Day 2: Chain Squat

Day 3: (Light perhaps) Squat, Partial Squat

Quote:
One note I would mention to anyone considering this method...start slow. You will learn a lot during the first 6 weeks. I feel I may have been better off first adding a second deadlift day for a while and slowly building it from a lighter day to a moderate day.
Yes indeed, the last time I was doing this 2 week On, 1 week Off schedule I was doing a 4 way split as I detailed in the Raw Powerlifting thread. This is considerably less stressful than what we are attempting.

Quote:
Going real heavy has really paid off, but I moved from square A to square C in some aspects, skipping an intermediary stage. This sounds worse than it is, of course. I could continue to run the program as is, but I simply don't feel my deadlift workouts during week 2 are giving me much.
Yes absolutely it certainly is working we can be happy about that. But there's nothing to stop us refining the process for what we're currently doing.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #130
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

I like Fazc's heavy week - light week approach with ya guys going balls outs as opposed to working with daily max type stuff. Fazc, will some kind of deload follow week 2 as previously done or will you restart the short cycle? Just taking a guess... 70% with no back offs may be good enough?

Steve, as always, I second your suggestion of starting conservatively. Start with 3-4 heavy session, slowly add light sessions and build up from there. Body is capable of performing great amounts of work... just gotta give it time to adjust.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote