Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old school View Post
(get someone who can back squat 400lbs I bet the first time they front squat they won't be able to get more than 200lbs so is someone that front squats 200lb stronger than a 400lb back squatter?).
There is quite a bit more carry over.

I rarely front squat...3-4 times a year. My back squat is about 450-470 at the moment, and I could hit 315+ for a single on front squats right now. This carry over is not only from squats, but also from deadlifts.

The same with other similar lifts. I hadn't used the dumbbell row in 6+ months until a few weeks ago, but was easily able to hit 215 pounds for 5 reps. This was down from my previous max of 215 x 10, but after 2 weeks I'm almost back to my max.

Last Fall I trained with wheelchair bodybuilder Rich Knapp at a Gold's Gym. I hadn't used the leg press in 20+ years, and was easily able to hit nearly 1,000 pounds.

Well rounded strength on the basic compound lifts creates a lot of carry over, and in many different areas. In college my frequent squatting increased my sprint speed noticeably, and my vertical jump to the point where I could nearly dunk.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-12-2011 at 08:52 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #32
old school
Brawn
Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: barbell hack squats
Fav Supp: milk
old school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality posts

your one strong dude steve!

I realise there is a carryover but there seems to be this attitude that you need to squat or your nothing. I think as long as you progress in an exercise you will get bigger and stronger. That being said I'm not overly concerned with strength I just want size with strength being a nice by-product.

what would you say is a decent working set for front squats steve? I actually use two chairs in my garage and do dead start front squats which I think are slightly harder...
old school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

To be fair, at first there actually were no such things as leg presses, squats, or the bench press until recently. If you wanted to Bench back in the day, you did a pull-over and press:

For a leg press:

For squats they didn't have a squat rack, so you had to either clean the weight or Steinborn Squat it (read: muscle it up onto your back and then squat):

For what it's worth, I started front squats when I had a 285 back squat. The hardest part for me was the technique of getting stable with the bar. Once I got that down, I hit 225 fairly quickly; despite being posterior chain dominant.

Dead-start anything is always harder, by the way. I'd do rack work like that too if I had a power rack to use...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #34
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

That is one badass leg press!! Im going to be tempted to try that out at the gym....

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #35
old school
Brawn

old school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality posts

they were mad back in the day lol

That leg press looks so dangerous.

It was steinborn who introduced heavy squatting to us. I once heard bodybuilders used to just squat with their bodyweight equivalent (or what ever they could clean)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #36
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Can you imagine the looks you would get at a gym if you leg press like that! People would be too afraid of you to tell you to stop

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #37
old school
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Can you imagine the looks you would get at a gym if you leg press like that! People would be too afraid of you to tell you to stop
Look at the old army boots as well....just using the groove to hold 500lb in place lol
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #38
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
That being said I'm not overly concerned with strength I just want size with strength being a nice by-product.

How do you plan to get bigger without getting stronger?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #39
old school
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
How do you plan to get bigger without getting stronger?
I do want to get stronger but I dont train for 1 rep maxes. I train progressively but like a bodybuilder
Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #40
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I do want to get stronger but I dont train for 1 rep maxes. I train progressively but like a bodybuilder
^ This is how you will gain size. Progression and a solid diet.

We don't train for 1RM either...well not directly.

Progression is progression. It's the same for beginning and intermediate bodybuilders and powerlifters. Intermediate powerlifters generally don't train much different than bodybuilders in that they use the same lifts, and don't often train with singles and triples. They can, depending on the system, but they generally don't need to.

Good old fashion progression is king.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote