Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

One common mistake might be skinny blokes just wanna put on "lean mass", getting big with clear definitions right from the start and therefore fearing the carbs n fat, just showing down protein shakes n eating salads all day long n then wondering why they dont gain weight and googling "hardgainer" all night long, changing their workout routines once every couple o weeks etc.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Hardgainer? Sounds like an excuse to me. Eat more. Of course there are people who have problems gaining weight, but to believe you are a hardgainer and let that set you back is a huge mistake and a sign of mental weakness.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Dianna Bol
New Brawn
Points: 2,505, Level: 30 Points: 2,505, Level: 30 Points: 2,505, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dianna Bol is new to the forumDianna Bol is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Hardgainer? Sounds like an excuse to me. Eat more. Of course there are people who have problems gaining weight, but to believe you are a hardgainer and let that set you back is a huge mistake and a sign of mental weakness.
^ I'd like to see Ehubbs get a hiold of a few hardgainers. Or BodybyGamma. Or Tall Ox.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

I personally don't think a "hardgainer" should eat different things than a BB that is cutting. Only difference is eat MORE!

Suggesting fat substances is bad advice imo! I'm not talking about the "good fats". The bad fats. The fat will become hard to manage if you are sloppy! I've almost been there!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Suggesting fat substances is bad advice imo! I'm not talking about the "good fats". The bad fats. The fat will become hard to manage if you are sloppy! I've almost been there!
Fat or carbs? Because Id' rather see then eating fat then carbs. then again junk carbs and fat go hand in hand.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

Interesting responses from everyone. I will add my thoughts since I do consider myself a "hardgainer". The biggest thing I learned is EAT EAT EAT, the more calories the better. I have spent my entire life as that "skinny guy" Until i found a training program that worked for me I was stuck being skinny. I started doing the big 3 lifts, eating the right foods and eating alot. The biggest trick has been like what was said before.
Being able to take in more calories than you are burning.

SKinny guys need to stop looking at the so called "experts" and trying to do what works for a small percentage of lifters. Compound exercises like Squat, DL, Bench, Presses and body weight has put more weight in muscle on me than anything else I tried.

and again EAT EAT EAT.
Fire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I had a monster metabolism when I was younger. My body type was small-boned, skinny-fat...and weak. I weighed 150 to 160 with very little muscle.

If I would have stuck to a traditional bodybuilding diet I would have to had to eat wild rice like it was going out of style.

If you are young, a hardgainer and have a fast metabolism, just eat. If you want to eat nothing but wild rice all day, have at it! I grew on cheesecake, milk and burritos. And in between I ate eggs, ramen, and mac and cheese with tuna.

That's really about it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

The term is "hard" gainer, not "impossible" gainer for a reason. It doesn't mean there aren't solutions. It only means it's HARDER. The idea that people who believe it's "harder" for them to gain weight means they are idiots and just complainers is offensive.

It is harder for some.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post
Fat or carbs? Because Id' rather see then eating fat then carbs. then again junk carbs and fat go hand in hand.
Well, yeah bad carbs and bad fats I guess. Good catch.

But I will say age and testosterone can play into what you can get away with on carbs. MattB has days loaded with carbs including some simple carbs and he still looks like he could step on the stage. I cannot do this @ the ripe old age of 41.

Still imo, care needs to be taken no matter what age and don't be reckless about your eating unless you are a power lifter. PL'ers suck. J/K Jealousy breeds hate I love all kinds of lifters and fitness freaks actually!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

It's harder for some, now deal with it and move on. BTB is correct in saying that a large percenatge of internet hardgainers have no clue how to train or eat. But of course, said internet hardgainers have their pantry stocked with NO explode and Crea-alk-0-holic, looking for a shortcut that doesnt work. There was a discussion about Matt Kroc the other day on another forum talking about genetics. He said he had a hard time gaining weight, was a scrawny little puke, etc. etc. etc. He focused on gaining one pound at a time and now holds the all time record at 220 lbs. In other words, he didn't let it become an obstacle, he overcame it.