Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member
Default Warm up tip and a training option

This came up in my log and copied and pasted it here because I think its a good tip for how to treat your warmups to get the most from your training. I am a little hestitant to post it because it seems a no brainer to me but it may help someone.

I believe in an explosive concentric for all main movements once your warmed up. All your warm up sets should be done as fast as possible. It carries over to the heavier weights. Heres an example of a warmup set for me. Paused then trying to explode up. I worked up to 400 during this workout but I still moved the lighter weights fast. Once your warmed up, give this a go next time your lighter sets.

Another take on speed training

I also believe in doing sets across with heavier percentages as fast as possible with short rest periods. So something like 80% for 6x2. A good guide for this type of training is to look at the old westside training cycle.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/old-school...bell-training/

This is an example of what I mean by doing a heavier weight as fast as possible with short rest periods. You can tell I was tired out when the weight moved up but I am moving the weights as fast as I can and I feel there is a carryover to the heavier weight.

miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

great advice mike
Old 06-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Shmeegs
Brawn

Fav Exercise: Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributor

I notice that your lifts are all equiped, do you do any sort of raw lifting? And does this style of lifting heavy respond to only equiped lifts or can you modify it for raw lifters?
Shmeegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeegs View Post
I notice that your lifts are all equiped, do you do any sort of raw lifting? And does this style of lifting heavy respond to only equiped lifts or can you modify it for raw lifters?
Dude, wraps do not make a bit of difference in training style, unless you lift more from rebound or less pain.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
He's a raw lifter, and all the lifts in the videos are raw.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
miked96
Max Brawn

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Sorry Steve. I posted this in another section when I saw it was awaiting moderation a few weeks back. Didn't mean for the double post.

Shmeegs. Everybody's definition of raw seems to be diffrent but I train in sleeves and a belt. My definition is anything minus a squat suit or bench shirt and I think this type of training works great for it. Whether it be absolutely nothing or a belt and knee wraps it will work.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Shmeegs
Brawn

Shmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributorShmeegs is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Dude, wraps do not make a bit of difference in training style, unless you lift more from rebound or less pain.
My bad, I don't know about wraps, as I don't use them. Or anything else for that matter. No wraps, straps, or even a belt. Now I know that some powerlifters use knee wraps and belts for their near max efforts but everyone is different. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Shmeegs
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post

Shmeegs. Everybody's definition of raw seems to be diffrent but I train in sleeves and a belt. My definition is anything minus a squat suit or bench shirt and I think this type of training works great for it. Whether it be absolutely nothing or a belt and knee wraps it will work.
Sorry, if my comment came across as insulting in any manner. My definition of raw was always no additions. No wraps, straps, belt. But then again, I don't follow many of the powerlifting organizations nor their rules. So each groups rules would allow for other training styles. Sorry for any unnecessary confusion.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
miked96
Max Brawn

Quote:
Sorry, if my comment came across as insulting in any manner. My definition of raw was always no additions. No wraps, straps, belt. But then again, I don't follow many of the powerlifting organizations nor their rules. So each groups rules would allow for other training styles. Sorry for any unnecessary confusion.
No worries. It did not offend me at all. I will tell you to prevent confusion in the future that when you say someone is lifting equipped then the assumption is they are wearing a squat suit or bench shirt.

Last edited by miked96; 06-19-2015 at 08:41 PM.