Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

i have convict conditioning if you want it
Old 05-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
i have convict conditioning if you want it
Is it just a PDF? I'd love to read it if you don't mind!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
RickH
Brawn
Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Dips
Fav Supp: Sardines
RickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good posts

I have a really hard time with back squats but I keep at it, but I have found that Jump squats, Goblet squats for reps and overhead squats with a 20 lb bar are a great way too keep the legs in good shape. Pistol squats you need to do hundreds of them, but a goblet squat with a 60 lb item or sandbag will hit your quads with 20 reps.

I just got back to lifting real weights but when I was on the road back in the day I did a calisthenic routine every day and never had an issue. my routine was

1 min of each pause rest if ya need to like on pullups and chinups
Pushups
Pullups
Dips
Chinups
burpies
overhead squats with a chair from the hotel room
RickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
gothamsreckoning
New Brawn
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16

Training Exp: 2.5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mixed Greens
gothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good postsgothamsreckoning has made some good posts

I've done daily bodyweight work in the past and would encourage you to go at it hard but pay attention to your joints.
gothamsreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post
Is it just a PDF? I'd love to read it if you don't mind!
yeah... PM me an email address

a good BW conditioning method is ladders...pick whatever moves you want, then for round one do one rep of each, then round two do two reps and so on...once you get a bench mark, try and beat it....exponential training!

you can also pyramid the ladders.... 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1, etc..
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #16
Mistwraith
Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

I really dont know much about Freeletics apart from what ive seen on their site and on YouTube, but it seems to be working great for people who try it. Enough so that it piqued my interest.. i might attempt it one day.

The whole concept is you have a set of exercises... like pushups, burpees, pull ups and you do the prescribed number of reps as fast as possible, and then attempt to beat your previous best the next time you do it. It seems to produce the athletic build, after a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhLmONLcvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stv-6l63h8c

https://www.freeletics.com/

Last edited by Mistwraith; 05-13-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

It works. Only drawback is that it gets a tad bit boring. I served at Parris Island for 3 years and trained 8 cycles of recruits. The biggest transformations I have ever seen were from this type of training. There were many instances where the recruits parents didnt recognize them at graduation. If you need any ideas then hit me up. I posted my favorite pull up routine at the bottom. Whenever I fell below 20, this is what I would do to bump it back up.

Day 1

Five maximum effort sets. Rest 90 seconds between each set. Do not concern yourself with counting out reps, focus on performing quality reps instead. Make sure that each set is a maximum effort set. This means that even if you don't think you will be able to get the next rep, make sure that you fight to get that last rep. Pull as far as you can rather than just dropping off of the bar. Doing this will maximize the results that you will see over time.

Day 2

Pyramid day. Start by doing one repetition, then two, and then three on the next set. Continue in this fashion until you miss a set (ex: if your last set was 6, your next set should be 7. If you can only do 4 repetitions, then you missed the set.) After you miss your set, do one more set at maximum effort. Between each set, rest 10 seconds for each repetition prescribed in the previous set.

Day 3

Do three training sets (defined below) with an overhand grip, pulling up so that the bar is behind your head at the top. Rest 60 seconds between each set. Next, complete 3 more training sets with palms facing you, resting 60 seconds between each set. Finally, do 3 training sets with a wide overhand grip, resting 60 seconds between each set.

Day 4

Do the maximum number of training sets that you can accomplish. Rest 60 seconds between each set. You do training sets until you fail to do a perfect training set. This day can wind up being the longest training day as you continue with the program because you will find it easy to do lots of training sets. If you can do more than nine training sets, increase each set by one repetition next week.

Day 5

Repeat the day that you found to be the hardest in the previous four days. This may change from week to week. As an alternative, you can also try to doing some variation this day, such as weighted pullups or some other pullup workout.

Training Sets

Training sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine the right number of reps for the individual participating in the program. If your max set is 12 or less pullups, start with training sets of 2 or 3. If you do 13-15, try starting with sets of 4, etc. The key to determining the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on day 3. You must perform 9 training sets that day. It is much better for you to complete all nine sets than to do an extra rep on each set and only complete 6 or 7 sets. Adjust your training set so that you can complete day 3's routine properly.

If you successfully complete day 3's workout, try increasing the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do day 4. If you complete at least 9 training sets on day 4, then you know your training set should be that higher number. If you do less than nine sets, stick with the number you used for day 3.

It is important that you do not change the number of repetitions in a training set mid-workout. When you schedule yourself to do the day's routine using 4 repetitions in your training set, do not change it to 3 when the exercises get hard. If you miss, you miss. There is always tomorrow.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great post.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
What are your goals?

A good body weight leg exercise would be jump squats.

Squat right down to the floor, explode up and jump as high as you can, then as you come down sink back into squat position. Repeat.

They're pretty brutal.
I'd rather be doing heavy squats for 5, than a ton of jump squats put it that way.
jump squats are brutal I got to 40 reps once and my legs went to jelly and I seen stars, very effective .
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #20
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Mikey D. Awesome post Brother!!

A great leg movement is to get outside and do sprints. We included these in our morning PT sessions in the Army.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote