Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member
Default Training, Workout, iOS or Android Apps - Links

Didn't see a thread on recent useble Training Apps... These days just about every body has a Smart phone and with all the Apps out these days. I know I use one just about everyday and have played around with many others. Most of them suck, but I'm always looking for a new one I can use...

Lets keep this Basic and simple to follow..

1. Post Image/Icon of App
2. Cost
3. Brief description of the App
4. A short Review or thoughts on it
5. Iphone or Device it's used on
6. Link to download itunes, Google Play Store, Amazon etc...

If you have a question or comments on other post in the thread. Thatis great and welcomed..

Just make sure when you post an App make sure to have all the info in the same post. This will make it easy to search through this thread and find what your looking for..

Thanks and start Sharing.....

Last edited by Ramrod; 12-01-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Ramrod
Max Brawn

Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Cost: $2.99

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mium&hl=en

Description
Starting Strength or 5/3/1 - It's covered.
Add and modify lifts.
Log and track your lifts through cycles.

The Pro version includes the following, with more to come:
+Bar loading/Plate calculation
+Assistance Work
+Graphing!

My Thoughts:

I love this APP.. I have had this APP for a very long time. Had it on my iphone and now on my LG G2. Now for iphone their is a newer Version, but the Android Market still has the old Pro. Which is fine for me. I downloaded on my new Android phone last night. For some reason it wouldn't work for me last night or this morning. After I got up today thou. It started working just fine. I really only use this app for 5/3/1. Here is the New itunes BIG LIFTS 2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/big-...661503150?mt=8

The Apple Version supports
5/3/1, Starting Strength, Smolov Jr, And also has in App purchases you can add on.

I highly recommend this APP.. It has had it's issues time to time, but the Maker of the APP is always updating and adding new big fixes and new content as well.

Here is a Screen Shot of it..

Known Supported Devises
iphone 4 and 5's
Galaxy Tab 3
ipad 3rd Gen and up
ipod touch 2 Gen and up

I have it on my LG G2, but it's not working correctly. He seems to have let the Android updates on the back burner.

Last edited by Ramrod; 12-01-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Cool thread. As soon as I get home, I will post some recommendations.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Ramrod
Max Brawn

Myfitnesspal

Cost: FREE

Description
Lose weight with MyFitnessPal, the fastest and easiest-to-use calorie counter for iPhone. With the largest food database of any iPhone calorie counter (over 3,000,000 foods), and amazingly fast food and exercise entry, we’ll help you take those extra pounds off! There is no better diet app – period.

My Thoughts:
Another great app and Free too. Excellent way to track your food intake. If your just watching Protein or Calorie intake. This app will come in handy. The app has a very large data base of just about every food or drink you can think of. I have added many of my own meals and even supplements too. If you don't have your phone on you, but have access to a Computer. You can go to www.myfitnesspal.com and log your stuff as well.

itunes link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calo...341232718?mt=8

Google Play link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...esspal.android

Known Supported Devices
iphone 4 and 5's
ipad 2gen and up
LG G2
Galaxy Tab 3
Galaxy S III
Galaxy S4 and S4 mini

Screen Shots

Last edited by Ramrod; 12-01-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Ramrod
Max Brawn

Cost: FREE

Description:
The Restaurant Nutrition application shows nutritional information of restaurant foods.
- Over 100 restaurants & 15,000 food items
- Map feature to find nearby restaurant locations
- Journal feature tracks your items and totals your calories and other information
- Automatic menu updates - menu updated regularly

My Thoughts:
I use this all the time. Everytime I go out to eat and search what menus I can find and I can what I'm getting. Looking for a High Protein meal, but are eating out. If you don't have myfitnesspal you can find many restraurant menus in this App. It's a little easier finding items on this then myfitnesspal, but if you order something a little different. Like double meat from Subway. Myfitnesspal would be a better choice. Overall a great App to have.

Google Play Store link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...style.rn&hl=en

itunes link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rest...on/id285180322

Screen Shot
Old 12-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I just use Microsoft OneNote, make Table Templates (for Diet/Training, insert Monthly schedules, and note taking), and these automatically link between devices (Tablet, Note 3). I like more control in what I am doing, and do not use any other software for training and diet, other than OneNote (and Excel), and its great for this purpose.

Make one template for training and dieting in Excel, and viola, done, and it links and updates automatically in OneNote. My only complaint is that OneNote on Android is not as feature rich as it is on the Windows version. But, what you do in the main OneNote program in windows, can be used cross platform.

When I train, I bring in the Tablet, open OneNote to the date of the workout session, open the training Table, enter data as I train (and it automatically links to the other devices). Then later, I make a tab, and make note comments on the training session.

Diet logging and contents are set up the same way. The exception here is that I have it linked to a monthly calender, where the end calorie (macro) sum result for the day, is automatically linked to the day in the calender, and is updated automatically each day. This way, if I want a quick view of the calorie/macro history, just open the calender and view. Most of the time, I use my phone (Note 3) to enter calorie data into OneNote when at work, when I do not have access, to tablet (10") or my Notebook PC.

Notes are taken barbarically and I am very anal about it. I leave no stone unturned. And since OneNote is set up like a notebook (electronically), taking notes on various subjects in my fitness is a breeze. This approach works for me, and why (though I have tried), I have no training/dieting log on any forum. I do not see a need, in the personal sense. I get as anal about what I do as I need to, and I am very personally disciplined, and always have been. If anyone is interested, I can post a few pics, on how this is setup, in OneNote. Or get more specific on how I got the OneNote Notebook interface setup. Been during this setup, for a long time now.

I have looked at various other training/diet specific software, and have not found one yet, that I liked or would meet what I would like, personally.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote