Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default BTB's Lifting Thoughts

Going to toss out some random thoughts on lifting. Please feel free to chime in.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Everyone wants a special lifting program.

The one truth I have learned is that most of these folks who want you to create something unique and special for them won't like what you create. They will recoil at the simplicity, hard exercises and focus on progression.

Looking back I can recall only a small handful of lifters who actually stuck with unique programs I created. The lesson to be learned here is that you should use caution creating something special for another lifter until they have established a track record of sticking to programs.

Better to set them on course with one of the old faithfuls, and see how they respond. Most people are squatting or deadlifting as it is, so a program with these lifts will truly be unique and special to them.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I confess, I have been guilty in the past.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

personally i dont feel there is a "secret lifting plan" for bbing or for ppl that want to look better. but for competitive power lifters there is specific plans you must do. If your not ready to take a plan serious then i dont think u are ready for powerlifting.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I experienced the biggest gains in strength after I read Brooks Kubik state..."It is an undeniable fact that very few people actually train HARD when they lift weights."

After reading that:
1. I recognized I was not working hard.
2. Immediatly changed my mindset.
3. I am currently experiencing my biggest strength gains....ever!

Also while on vacation last week and working out at a local gym, I saw this to be true. Even my sister, who was with me, said as I was training, and working HARD, everyone was staring at me like I had 2 heads.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
I experienced the biggest gains in strength after I read Brooks Kubik state..."It is an undeniable fact that very few people actually train HARD when they lift weights."

After reading that:
1. I recognized I was not working hard.
2. Immediatly changed my mindset.
3. I am currently experiencing my biggest strength gains....ever!

Also while on vacation last week and working out at a local gym, I saw this to be true. Even my sister, who was with me, said as I was training, and working HARD, everyone was staring at me like I had 2 heads.
agree wit you here. I catch myself saying im working hard but then will skip sets or not push my self to the limit. It takes a different mindset to take your body to its limit then pass that limit. great post man

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I think I have "weakness X." Should I be working on improving it?

I hate the idea of training weaknesses simply because everyone should be trying to make every body part as strong as possible to begin with.

Training weaknesses should already be a part of your program. Assume everything is weak. Make it Herculean strong.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1224 View Post
agree wit you here. I catch myself saying im working hard but then will skip sets or not push my self to the limit. It takes a different mindset to take your body to its limit then pass that limit. great post man
Same here. I find myself wanting to skip squat sets because "man, that last one felt awfully heavy". I actually have to talk myself INTO doing every set.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
linedriver465
Max Brawn
Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49 Points: 5,829, Level: 49
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think I have "weakness X." Should I be working on improving it?

I hate the idea of training weaknesses simply because everyone should be trying to make every body part as strong as possible to begin with.

Training weaknesses should already be a part of your program. Assume everything is weak. Make it Herculean strong.
Loving this post Steve. I myself get so caught up in "weak points" - not sure if it was perpetuate by a few of my buddies that ran Westside or if I convinced myself that I was actually strong enough to have weak points.

The bottom line is every body part should be worked hard as hell and treated like it's never strong enough
linedriver465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
Loving this post Steve. I myself get so caught up in "weak points" - not sure if it was perpetuate by a few of my buddies that ran Westside or if I convinced myself that I was actually strong enough to have weak points.

The bottom line is every body part should be worked hard as hell and treated like it's never strong enough
I think there is too much of a focus on weak points before a strength base is built. To me weak point training occurs after a strength base has been built and we begin to assess which body parts of muscle groups are lagging.