Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Resources (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Front Squat Question(s) (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12629)

SCStrong 02-24-2013 07:39 PM

Front Squat Question(s)

I just added front squats to my routine, today. Compared to my low back squat I lift like a little girl.....

Question One : What is the correct bar position? Even with light weight, I was killing my shoulders.

Question Two: What is a good target ration ( or typical ratio) of weight lifted on back versus front squats?
Example- Hypothetically,if I can lift 250 for 5 on low back then what should my goal be on front squats?
Signed,
Weak and confused in Texas

MikeM 02-24-2013 09:02 PM

Front squats are hard at first SC! DOn't get discouraged and don't think in percentages yet as that doesn't really matter. It's a different lift, it's like saying what percentage should your BTN be to your military. Everybody is different and has different issues with various lifts.

Where on your shoulders do they hurt? If your elbows are up properly, the bar should be resting on meat, not bone. Your front delts should be able to hold the weights you're starting with without pain.

Hang in there! They get a lot better as you go along.

SCStrong 02-24-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 328944)
Front squats are hard at first SC! DOn't get discouraged and don't think in percentages yet as that doesn't really matter. It's a different lift, it's like saying what percentage should your BTN be to your military. Everybody is different and has different issues with various lifts.

Where on your shoulders do they hurt? If your elbows are up properly, the bar should be resting on meat, not bone. Your front delts should be able to hold the weights you're starting with without pain.

Hang in there! They get a lot better as you go along.

Thanks for the advice- the pain (front delts) is not intense- just different I suppose. I will take it slow.
The weight was very low (135 last set max)... I am weak and worthless. I lost sight of the Force.
Jedi, I am not.

1morerep 02-24-2013 09:31 PM

I invest is a front squat harness. Well worth it!!! But yes, they are hard and painful if use a lot of weight Position (at least in my case before the harness) was about two inches below shoulder joint. I do same day as back squat, good mornings and dl. Yeap, all in the same day!!!

fenrisulfr 02-25-2013 12:20 AM

Shit man cheer up. Nobody was good at anything before practicing it. You just need to get your core strength up. Start doing cleans and powercleans for synergistic training. Keep practicing. As for ratios of back to front my 1rm back is 400, front 315.

big_swede 02-25-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 328900)
I just added front squats to my routine, today. Compared to my low back squat I lift like a little girl.....

Question One : What is the correct bar position? Even with light weight, I was killing my shoulders.

Question Two: What is a good target ration ( or typical ratio) of weight lifted on back versus front squats?
Example- Hypothetically,if I can lift 250 for 5 on low back then what should my goal be on front squats?
Signed,

Try getting your elbows up and the bar as close to your throat as possible, you should feel like choking when unracking. I think that if you do 250 for 5 on the back squat, 200 for 5 on the fronties is a good short term goal. Also as Mike said its a painfull lift at first but when flexibility gets better you learn to love it =)

BendtheBar 02-25-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 328900)

Signed,

I use one of these:

Question 2: I suck at front squats. kill my lower back. My front is maybe 60% of my back.

1morerep 02-25-2013 09:32 AM

This is the best option for the money!!!

SCStrong 02-25-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenrisulfr (Post 328993)
Shit man cheer up. Nobody was good at anything before practicing it. You just need to get your core strength up. Start doing cleans and powercleans for synergistic training. Keep practicing. As for ratios of back to front my 1rm back is 400, front 315.

I am not bummed - I was justt razzing my self. ( I have perpetual smart ass disease ha ha ) Thanks for the advice.

SCStrong 02-25-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 329010)
Try getting your elbows up and the bar as close to your throat as possible, you should feel like choking when unracking. I think that if you do 250 for 5 on the back squat, 200 for 5 on the fronties is a good short term goal. Also as Mike said its a painfull lift at first but when flexibility gets better you learn to love it =)

Cool, thanks