Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
spiritthief
New Brawn
Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MaxiMuscle Promax
spiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good posts
Default 5x5 vs. MadCow for early-intermediates

Hi All,

I am here for a bit of advice. I came the long way to reach my current numbers, so let's not talk about the past, let's assume I have completed the base-camp of power-lifting and focus on the future. I am trying to put together a training programme for the next 6 months. I was reading quite a lot about both the standard 5x5 and MadCow and I simply cannot decide. I have read a lot of articles about both containing exact kg values and / or percentages when to change, when to use which, but they are not consistent, and I am a bit confused. I used 5/3/1 (probably a bit too early) and a 4 day split routine alternated to get up to this point.

I am now 94 kg, and my personal best lifts are
Bench: 110 kg
Squats: 150 kg
Deadlift: 155 kg
Military press: 65 kg.
Raw: 80 ish, never tested

Technique and nutrition is relatively all right I think.

Question is: where to go?

Is 5x5 still viable for someone like me? I have ran a simulation for 16 weeks, but using the 2.5kg increments I am a bit sceptic about the possibility of those gains. Obviously breaking platous is sort of 'part of the plan' but still...

MadCow looks a bit more realistic in terms of gains, but I do not know if I am ready for that because the tonnage is less.

What would you suggest to do at this level to break into proper intermediate levels?

Thanks in advance
Andras
spiritthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump. Sorry we didn't see this. The round table is a moderated forum.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritthief View Post
Question is: where to go?

Is 5x5 still viable for someone like me?s
Sure. It's all in the approach. I think on a HLM style 5x5 like Madcows you could squeeze out some good progress during the next 6-12 months.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

BtB is the guru of course. And honestly you will continue to gain on anything at this point as long as you are persistent and progression focussed.

That said, I did what you are doing, then stalled a bit, so I moved to a lift a day type program where I absolutely hammered one lift and it's muscles once a week and a I took off again.

I'm sure there are proper intermediates that do full body, but then again at a certain point you need to hammer away at some growth in some very particular areas if you want to make your goals.

Hit some Squats, then quads hard
some bench and triceps hard
some OHP and some shoulders hard
then some deadlift and some hamstrings hard.

See how that treats you. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to what you were doing. But, bottom line is that what you were doing, you will adapt to. If you want to grow, you have to keep upping the ante.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

As always, I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I have but a fraction of time behind bars that most others here have, however...

If you're going to do this I would pick a realistic ENDING goal. Work the progression backwards from there, and use that to choose your starting work set weights. It will mean a deload, but progression in a program is the name of the game right? We physically/mentally need to see the increases as we work, otherwise we're just in maintenance or stalled. I just started a new program and deloaded quite a ways just based on where I wanted to finish the program, not my current 5RM. Had I started at my current max, I would probably be quitting next week from low morale and missed lifts. Looking forward to seeing what you decide, and the results!

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
spiritthief
New Brawn
Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13 Points: 699, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MaxiMuscle Promax
spiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good postsspiritthief has made some very good posts

I did the same, deloaded big time and started 5x5 from scratch.

My personal 1PR's right now:
SQ: 155 kg / 342 lbs
BP: 110 kg / 242 lbs
DL: 155 kg / 342 lbs
MP: 65 kg / 144 lbs

My goals are very similar to your best lifts for the end of this year.

Thanks for the advice, it is always good to know that one does not walk alone.
spiritthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Hit some Squats, then quads hard
some bench and triceps hard
some OHP and some shoulders hard
then some deadlift and some hamstrings hard.

See how that treats you. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to what you were doing. But, bottom line is that what you were doing, you will adapt to. If you want to grow, you have to keep upping the ante.
I could have not phrased it better myself!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote