Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member
Default Trainers vs "Trainers"

Just because you go to a gym doesn't qualify you to train someone.
And to be clear, this does include those trainers who are certified. Certification means nothing.
There's a lot to know and learn. Most of which is only going to be learned through experience and years of it. I've been lifting for about a decade now and I'm still learning new things that I like better and have seen produce better results. Even the basics take time to nail. I still am on a never ending quest to perfect my squats, deads, and bench press to find what works best for my body. People underestimate the value of mental strength and willpower. They underestimate the value of being able to actually feel the muscle or muscle group working that you are focused on.
The truth in health and fitness is that it's more like an art than a science. Science is definitely part of it, but no one person reacts the same, so you must have the experience to think outside the box and "bend" the standards to get results for people and again, that takes time. You will not learn this from a book, a class or a study guide.

Then, on top of it all, there's nutrition...

As they say:
"Just because you live in a house doesn't mean you're qualified to go build one."
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
Just because you go to a gym doesn't qualify you to train someone.
And to be clear, this does include those trainers who are certified. Certification means nothing.
There's a lot to know and learn. Most of which is only going to be learned through experience and years of it. I've been lifting for about a decade now and I'm still learning new things that I like better and have seen produce better results. Even the basics take time to nail. I still am on a never ending quest to perfect my squats, deads, and bench press to find what works best for my body. People underestimate the value of mental strength and willpower. They underestimate the value of being able to actually feel the muscle or muscle group working that you are focused on.
The truth in health and fitness is that it's more like an art than a science. Science is definitely part of it, but no one person reacts the same, so you must have the experience to think outside the box and "bend" the standards to get results for people and again, that takes time. You will not learn this from a book, a class or a study guide.

Then, on top of it all, there's nutrition...

As they say:
"Just because you live in a house doesn't mean you're qualified to go build one."
Rock on bro. Science, books, gym talk are good for basics and a great starting point but NOT the set rule. Everyone is different as you said.

A great trainer is a great sponge soaking up everything your body is relaying to them, not a person behind a closed door forcing it open there way.

Quote:
Truth x infinity
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The truth in health and fitness is that it's more like an art than a science.
Amen. The art of adaptation, and knowing how to help someone adapt is hard. It takes years and years to learn your own body, and most people never do it. Science can be a tool, but science does not create artists who can use these tools to create amazing results.

Furthermore, training is much more than just structuring workouts. Many times we need to learn to speak their language, and show them how their goals require out methods. People have fears, doubts, insecurities, hesitations, misconceptions, etc. Helping them build mental strength and focus is just as important as giving them a list of exercises or foods. You also have to build trust.

I've been doing this for 25 years and I still don't feel 100% confident giving advice. I take it seriously, and always scrutinize every word I say 10x over.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Preach titan...i've been training for close to a decade and I'm constantly learning.I'm certified and degreed but that still doesn't make me the end all.I love learning from others and as Btb said I take it all seriously

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Rock on bro. Science, books, gym talk are good for basics and a great starting point but NOT the set rule. Everyone is different as you said.

A great trainer is a great sponge soaking up everything your body is relaying to them, not a person behind a closed door forcing it open there way.

Truth x infinity
You're dead on my friend

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
JacktheThriller
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

There are many trainers at my gym I would never recommend to anyone. They just suck. Fully certified in sucking ass. My most recent client. In 5 weeks: 9.3+ weight 6%-BF. Fit testing. I took 15bpm off his resting heart rate and 25bpm off of his maximal work. Went from 20 situps in a minute to 56. Went from 11 pushups to 55 in a minute. From 0 pullups to 13. Most importantly he feels better and his ulcerative colitus is well managed now. I proud of my clients progress and consider it my failure and not theirs when the goals aren't met. So many trainers at my gym simply blame the client when they aren't progressing. They give the same beginner program to everyone regardless of goals and really couldnt care less about whether their client improves at all.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

IMO, half the trainers at the fitness centre here aren't even qualified to give the induction.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
hobbz
New Brawn
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

hobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good posts

This is dead on. I agree totally. There is a guy at my gym that feels like he should be a trainer, acts like he knows it all and it drives me nuts. I am glad that others have the same feeling as me.
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote