Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

IMO:

Its all in how bad you want it. I also never had a gym membership till 2009 and thats because we lived with my daughter (didn't have any room for a bench/cage). Even now I have a Lat Pull Down/Low pulley by a pure fluke, ONLY go to the gym either with friends or for just cardio. This is only maybe once every 2 months or so.

You learn to find ways to do things with what you have if you want it bad enough.

With drive you can do anything you can do in a fancy gym with just a bench/cage and Db's as many past and presant lifters have prooved.

I also know guys that can't get drive outside a fancy gym. They need the motivation and attention of the members to drive them.

Not bashing. Just a observation from in my area were I live.

Give me a bench and some Db's and leave me the *uck alone. lol
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I have trained for 1 year while at Uni with nothing more than a barbell and weights. And I can tell you it sucked.
What single piece of equipment did you miss the most?

Quote:
Just training isn't enough, just going to the gym isn't enough. What I would ask is can you give up the idea that discomfort in the gym is a bad thing? Can you give up the idea that sitting on your ass for recovery is the only way to get better? Can you give up the idea that recovery workouts are not just the realm of steroids abusing lifters? Can you give up the idea that if you don't dirty bulk, you're losing out on gains?

These are, I feel, questions which need to be asked. Are you really willing to do what it takes, or would you rather lay the blame on genetics and *life*? People inevitably talk a great game especially on the internet. Actually doing it is a different kettle of fish.
Good!
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I think Faz explained my opinion better than I did: I think there are more important ideas in the fitness industry to challenge than this and you could gain more by doing so. Could you train with just a barbell? Of course you could. I have read books on the training of guys like Sandow who didn't bench press and didn't have squat racks and they got strong as hell in what they did do. For your average gym rat though challenging things like rep ranges, ie: you can't get bigger whilst doing low reps, or diet: you can't bulk without 50% of your diet being carbohydrate.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
What single piece of equipment did you miss the most?
Squat rack. Without a doubt it was the Squat rack.

Power Cleaning to Front Squats just isn't enough for me. I would have needed to power clean in the region of 120kg at the time to FS effectively which I had no interest in doing and would have taken more than a year to do. To do that now I would need more like in the region of 160kg power cleans which is just not going to happen any time soon because it just isn't a goal of mine.

Also I'll say quite confidently that if it wasn't for investing in Powerlifting equipment, shirts, suits, briefs etc I would not be lifting in the same capacity as I am today.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think GL is asking some interesting questions such as, what could you learn?

I run into quite a few guys with limited equipment and think discussions like this can yield quite a bit of fruit.

In the past we raw a 12 week Reeves challenge and it I still see it rippling across the net on several forums. People are still using it, and still learning, stretching their boundaries. I see no downside to trying new things, stretching your boundaries, and asking interesting questions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't really think GL is challenging anything here guys. I think he is asking the question, what could you learn?

I run into quite a few guys with limited equipment and think discussions like this can yield quite a bit of fruit.
Yeah absolutely and I'm glad GL is posting more!

I think if I really looked for an answer or a lesson to learn I'm sure there is something there, but it would not be anything I couldn't have figured out anyway. So my counter question would still be, why?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Fazc,

If you remember. Post up a typical weeks work during that time.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
So my counter question would still be, why?
Why not?

I learned quite a bit about training with limited equipment. It was a fun experience. It equipped me to better help others with limited equipment.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Fazc
Max Brawn

I was following mostly the York courses. So a lot of PC&P, PC&J, PC&FS, some PC&Shrug that type of thing. Deadlifts too.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Why not?
Haha, Steve

Bear in mind the original question being 'what are you willing to give up'. My point is that I don't think giving up pieces of available equipment is going to teach you much if it all, and potentially be a waste of time. My counter questions were asking why would one want to give up equipment which is beneficial, what lesson would you expect it teach you?

If the only thing it would teach you is how to become better at training without equipment I would think it fairly pointless.

I'll train for a week without the use of my left arm, why? Because it will make me better at training without the use of my left arm. But Faz, you have two arms.... I see.

I don't get it and I'm asking for clarification!