Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I did the barbell and dumbbell route with no bench, no safety bars, no squat stands which are the only extra additions which make for slightly better and safer lifting.

OHPs used to be problematical because cleaning a weight load every time you wanted to do either a single, a double or a set was no fun. It can set a person back, if they're not able to physically get a loaded barbell in to place to perform other exercises with a weight load sufficient to that muscle group, squats being one of them. Floor presses are okay but bench presses are certainly different in feel and ROM, obviously.

Having just a barbell and dumbbells teaches you that you CAN still workout even though you have to learn to adapt more in order to be able to do the exercises that you want to do but it also teaches you that people who complain they cannot do weight training because they have no bench, no power rack or whatever else are just blowing smoke and don't really want to lift; there is always a way, if you want it bad enough.

Sometimes, I still workout with just the barbell, me, and the floor, as in today's workout.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'm going to go ahead and take this back further.

Prior to the invention of the revolving adjustable barbell some time in the early 20th century, physique and strength enthusiasts were limited to globe barbells, dumbbells and odd-objects. Should we also go back to that point and do away with our barbell set? Many old-timers also smoke, not knowing it's effects, should we go back to doing that also? Many old-timers would use out-houses, would you like to go back to that too?

There are good reasons why certain inventions gained in popularity and others did not. It is no surprise that Benches gained in popularity, why? Because they are a great way to overload the pressing muscles, many Oly lifters such as John Davis and Hepburn knew this and so used them to aid their pressing. Benching is a great way to build up the upper body, it's no wonder it caught on! Prior to Benching the had the supine press done on the floor, what is now commonly called the Floor Press, Benching went from being non-existent to an almost indispensable addition to many routines, for one simple reason... It is a good exercise! So what if it's not a ground based exercise, cemented floors do nothing for your strength!

Everyone wants to talk about the good ol' days, the good ol' days. Physique culture is still very much alive and well, it's alive because we LOVE lifting and we are part of it today and now!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Haha, Steve

Bear in mind the original question being 'what are you willing to give up'. My point is that I don't think giving up pieces of available equipment is going to teach you much if it all, and potentially be a waste of time. My counter questions were asking why would one want to give up equipment which is beneficial, what lesson would you expect it teach you?
What if the question was, design a barbell only workout, how would you reply?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I choose the thread title for the very purpose of what is being discussed.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

As things stand, my workout is more or less machine free barring the increasingly rare occasion where I use the leg press machine or lat pulldown. Now that, I'm getting better at chin-ups and pull ups, the latter is no longer part of my routine and as I'm looking to improve my sucky squat by squatting more, the leg press is also on the back burner.

If I had a home gym (a dream of mine), it would have a power rack, a bench, barbells, dumbbells, plates and somewhere to do chins/dips. In answer to the OP, I wouldn't give up my squat rack cos I don't wanna get squashed and as Fazc said, the bench press is a good exercise so I wouldn't give that up. I'd give up machines cos I don't use them anyway

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #26
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Very good discussion. I could have rated every post so far as "helpful."

I have a lot of equipment at my disposal, but I don't use much more than barbell and dumbell. Just today though, I used the leg press (after repping on squats), and leg curl machine. I could honestly do without either of those pieces of equipment.

What piece of equipment would I miss most? Squat rack, of course. Followed closely by the bench.

I like that gl started this thread. I like also the direction that Fazc started taking things. Going primitive for the sake of going primitive. Not that that was gl's intent, but an interesting tangent nonetheless.

What am I willing to give up? Cables. Selectorized isolation machines. Not that I use either of those very often. What am I willing to give up of what I currently use? Leg curl machine. But then again, that's one of the few luxuries I currently allow myself.

Bare bones for my home gym?

It would have to include barbell (and a reasonable amount of plates), power/squat rack, powerblocks or some other adjustable dumbell, horizontal chinning bar.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Last edited by big valsalva; 06-13-2012 at 12:41 AM.
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #27
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

This is very intresting to me as I recently moved from a house that had a local gym with everything less than a mile away, to a house that had no gym within reason and I have to create a home gym for myself.

So, not being made of money, I needed to decide what I wanted in my home gym. First choice was squat stands as I could not afford a cage and stands were a cheaper alternative. Then a bench and barbell and weights.

That's bare bones. Stands were $240 (new), bench was $40 (craiglist), I chose to invest in a barbell and 210 lb of bumpers so that was $600 because I love the olympic lifts and choose to continue doing them to the best of my ability, then some craigslist plates to round out the process and there you go.

I also chose a Lat stand with row capability off craigslist for $120 too as that's a weakness I need to address, but basically that's what I spent to be ready to lift next week continuing on my 5-3-1 program.

Bottom line: looking at the question as what do you really need, I'd say you need bar, plates, stands, bench, and a pull up bar.

You have that you're done. My .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #28
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I'm going to say that all you really need is a barbell and plates. Is it optimum? Probably not, but it's certainly workable. About the only muscle group that wouldn't be worked effectively would be the chest, but I think it's an over-emphasized muscle group anyways.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Lifting traditionalists and the modern 'Hipsters' have a lot in common.

Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #30
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Lifting traditionalists and the modern 'Hipsters' have a lot in common.
What about lifting Atlas stones, and other strongman lifts? What about the Highland games? What about Olympic lifting that uses very little other than the bar and squat stands?

Are these all Hipsters?