Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #751
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Get back after it Josh!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #752
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Hey Big J - never be embarrassed. Nobody here has any expectations of what your lifts should be or should be in relation to other lifts.

Your right, it is obviously time for a change. The guys here can certainly help you. Maybe consider doing JB's Big. Maybe rep work is the way to go for you, like I am doing nowadays.

I have to commend you on your depth, and you certainly did not lower your standard on the miss. Just like bench was and still is for me, squat is a lift for you that just needs a bit of extra attention and training with the right program.

Keep fighting hard for it and it will come. My bench is coming along, so there is no reason you cannot do the same for your squat. Keep the faith and hope. Remember, the goal will be that much more satisfying when you look back at how hard you had to fight for it.
Thank you Jim. I feel like my lower body lifts have habitually failed to progress. Just kind of sucks. I'm not all depressed about it and have confidence I will progress, it just sucks to be failing.
JB's big is certainly the routine I will go to next. I just need to ride this out a couple more months before I completely am ready to commit to something new. As many people have recommended big, I would be stupid not to try it.
Thanks for the compliment on the depth, I try hard to lift with integrity for myself.
Thanks for the encouragement super Jim. I really appreciate your feedback, encouragement and guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Shake it off Josh, you will nail it in due time! Switch up what you need to and keep what you have to, but you will nail it bro!
Thanks SB. I've got a plan and I'm going to work through this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Head up Josh! Just keep at it. Persistance wins in this game. ALL of us are struggling with something no matter what level it is. You're in the game, just keep pushing back at the adversity.

That said, JB's big was easily the best squat program I have ever done. Just sayin'.

I have faith in you. Keep pushing.
Thanks for the encouragement MikeM. There is a lot of guys on this site who are always there to help me along the way, so I don't want to make anyone feel left out, but you are always one of the guys who has positive things to say. I appreciate that.
And thanks for the heads up on JB's program. Like i said to Jim, I would be stupid not to use it. I have my reasons for riding this out a couple more months, but I will be trying big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great work Josh! I'm the same way and ate posting failed lifts, but those can help the knowledgeable guys here help more often than not! They looked good and not sure why that rep failed, not that I'm one of the smart guys, I stink at squats! Depth was great! What shoes o ou wear? Saw some forward tilt so maybe some oly shoes to help with that, they helped me a ton! As far as routine, change is a good plan! You gave it a fair chance and it's obviously not the way to go for you! Try to stay positive bud! You're doing great!!!
Thanks Jay! You are another guy who's encouragement always shine's through the rough times.
I am not going to begin to try to self analyze while I actually failed on that rep.
I am wearing my ol' chuck taylors. Yeah tehre was some forward tilt, it is a big squat problem I have. It is something other guys have also noticed and I need to work on. I think I am going to commit to a heavy ab strengthening program, in order to mitigate the issue. Thanks again for the encouragement brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Hey, at least you buried that failed rep. That shows determination. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Great effort.
Thank Off Road. I appreciate the positive feedback. I don't believe in cheating myself and not performing a lift correctly. I would rather fail and be honest with myself, than hit the rep and be a bullshitter. Thanks again OR!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
531 failed me, or I failed it, on the squat as well!! Hope you get it sorted out soon because you definitely have a huge squat in you!
Well, at least I'm in good compancy!! Thanks for the positive words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Get back after it Josh!
Thanks for the encouragement big swede!!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #753
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default 6/28/13 Cycle 15 Week 1 Bench Press

Bench
210x5
242.5x5
272.5x6 (Goalx5)

CBBP
190x8,200x8,215x6

DB Row
85x10,95x10,105x10

Band face pull/tricep overhead extension superset
miniband/75x15/15,15/15,15/14
BB curl 55x15,15,9

Overall Workout Grade: B

Notes:
I would have like a rep or 2 more on the Bench press. I probably had it, i don't know...
Everything else went pretty well. I'm feeling good.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #754
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

All kinds of good benching.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #755
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Strong bench reps Josh.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #756
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
All kinds of good benching.
Thanks Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Strong bench reps Josh.
Thanks Off Road.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #757
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 6/29/13 Power Cleans/ Sumo Deadlift

I moved my program around a bit. I will now be doing Power Cleans before deads, as opposed to before squats. I am still doing 5/3/1 for power cleans. For deads, I'm doing something different.

Power Cleans
115x5
135x5
155x4 (Goal x5)

Sumo Deadlifts
225x4
275x4
315x4

Jump Squats
45x3,95x3,115x3,125x3,3,3

Weighted crunches (weight behind head)
bw+5x8, bw+10x8, bw+15x8

15 minutes on Spin bike

Overall Workout Grade: B+

Notes:
Intense session. I really enjoyed it.I felt very good.
Missed the last rep on cleans. I think I could have had it. It seemed like it was more a mental error than anything else. Still, I'm pretty sure what I did for 4 today was what I was doing for 1 when I first started.

Sumos felt great. I am loving these right now. Thank you to Jim and anyone else (sorry didn't mean to leave anyone out) who suggested these! They feel great. worked up to 315x4. I loved it. I focused on pushing through my feet and slowly pulling, not jerking the weight up from the floor. They feel so much more natural to me and don't cause the back problems conventional does. Can't wait to get these bad boys up to 405!

First time ever doing jump squats. I wanted to do some DE effort squats, but don't have the bands for them, so I did these instead. I really liked them. They really forced me to stay tight in the hole, which is an issue I think I am having with my ME squat. I will continue to do these, until I eventually buy the bands for DE squat. I am a little concerned about the impact on the knees, so I will be keeping a close eye.

Finished with some weighted crunches. I want to focus on getting my abs stronger. I put the weight behind my head. I've said this before but IMHO this is the only way to do weighted crunches. Any other way is kind of selling yourself short.

I have some sumo deadlift videos, I'll get them posted up shortly.

***edit***
sumo 225x4:

sumo 275x4

I thought I recorded 315x4, but I am slightly retarded and somehow switched the camera from photo to video. So no video, but a great picture of my shoes. Sorry....

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 06-30-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #758
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Default 6/2/13 Cycle 15 Week 2 OHP

OHP
130x3
147.5x3
167.5x3 (Goalx3)
135x5

Pull ups
bwx4,2,2,2,2

Incline Bench Press
140x10,155x10,170x10

Triset:
Db Curl
40x10,9,35x8
BB Shrug
205x10x3
Band Pushdown
mini bandx22x3

OVerall Workout Grade: A

Notes:
Yeah buddy! Felt strong this morning!

OHP just flew up on my ramping sets. And I nailed the top set. It was heavy, but it wasn't like an extreme grinder or anything like that. I decided to go ahead and try the first set last idea that came out of Beyond 5/3/1. It seemed like a good way to get a bit more volume, but not too much more. I liked it. Simple and effective.

Dropped the pull up/rack chin super sets, opted for just pull ups. Well, I didn't get quite as many reps out of it as I had hoped for. I will give this a few weeks, but I may find my self going back to the rack chin superset.

Hit my goals on incline bench. Finished with the curl/shrug/pushdow triset. Felt all kinds of pumped after this session. The only reason I do a triset at the end, is for times sake, just fyi.

All kinds of swole !! Really solid session. Felt great afterwards.

One more note. When I went outside to lift this morning at 5:15am, it was already 85 degF.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #759
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Strong Overhead Press. I like the looks of the First Set Last, it looks similar to what I've been doing and I've been seeing a good jump in my progression with it. I got my idea from Paul Carter and I know he and Wendler compare notes a lot. Keep Smashing Josh, good stuff!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #760
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

Training looks to be rolling along quite nicely Josh! Glad you are liking the sumos!
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote