The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Glad to see weights still moving up. Solid work in here.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #302
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Glad to see weights still moving up. Solid work in here.
Thanks. Slowly but surely!

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #303
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default 9/14/12 Cycle 5 Week 3 Squats

Squat
275x5
310x3
350x1

145x10,10,10,10,6

Leg Curl 90x10x5

Overall Workout Grade: A

Notes:
I'll jump right in to my thoughts here. My squat is struggling. The last few weeks it has just not felt right. I don't know if it is because of the weight progression or if it is because something in my technique has changed (for the worse) or a combination.
Either way, the top sets feel incredibly difficult. My form is breaks down and it just doesn't feel correct or safe. A day later, my lower back hurts, and not just normal back pump hurt.
So, long story short, I'm starting to be concerned. I have thrown around the idea of only progressing 5lbs a cycle, however I'm now wondering if an actual reset is in order. But after only 5 cycles, isn't it a bit soon?
Am I just being a wuss? Or is this a legitimate concern?
Also I know I need to get a video up. No excuses.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #304
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Sounds like something is giving you forward lean. You have any way of getting video?

That needs to be fixed or else the heavy work is just going to beat the crud out of your lower back. I would stick to 80% and less, do reps, and also work on form.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #305
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Hopefully you can get the vid done right away Big J. I think lower back issues while squatting are usually the result of forward lean. It happened to me earlier this year. Steve suggested a try high bar squats to reduce the tendency to lean, and it worked. It took about 3 weeks to get used to the new bar position, and at first it hurt, but now I feel no discomfort. Just 2 cents worth to ponder until you can get a vid and Steve & Company can identify the problem. I actually once hurt the low back re-racking the bar once. One end of the bar was too high. I learned it's a good idea to lower the bar into the pins evenly.

I don't think it is an issue at all to reset at any time during 531, especially when form issues arise. It's simply not worth making an issue or injury worse. Hopefully you can get a vid done at a heavy-ish weight where we can see the form breakdown.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #306
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sounds like something is giving you forward lean. You have any way of getting video?

That needs to be fixed or else the heavy work is just going to beat the crud out of your lower back. I would stick to 80% and less, do reps, and also work on form.
I'm sure you would agree it is hard to make an honest assessment of what is cause a form breakdown from under the bar.
I workout alone 95% of the time. However, if I can get someone to go with me on squat day to the gym my phone can take video. I don't feel comfortable asking anyone at the gym to do it. Just seems weird.

I think your assessment is correct. Over the last 2 cycles as the weight has gotten heavier I can feel my self being less able to hold my torso upright. This has been an issue of mine in the past.

I can't help but wonder if I have a significant weakness in my lower back and/or abs.

Sticking with 80% would render me unable to do 5/3/1. While I appreciate your advice and understand it is a safe and effective solution, I would rather not have to stop doing the 5/3/1 program, if I can find some other options.

Thanks for your help Steve.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #307
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Hopefully you can get the vid done right away Big J. I think lower back issues while squatting are usually the result of forward lean. It happened to me earlier this year. Steve suggested a try high bar squats to reduce the tendency to lean, and it worked. It took about 3 weeks to get used to the new bar position, and at first it hurt, but now I feel no discomfort. Just 2 cents worth to ponder until you can get a vid and Steve & Company can identify the problem. I actually once hurt the low back re-racking the bar once. One end of the bar was too high. I learned it's a good idea to lower the bar into the pins evenly.

I don't think it is an issue at all to reset at any time during 531, especially when form issues arise. It's simply not worth making an issue or injury worse. Hopefully you can get a vid done at a heavy-ish weight where we can see the form breakdown.
Thanks for your advice Jim. I'm sure you read my response to BtB. The same applies to your suggestion that it be because of forward lean and getting a video posted up.

I like the high bar suggestion. Now that I think about it, I was having this problem for a while before I started 5/3/1, and I switched to front squats and it helped with the issues, until recently. Very interesting suggestion and observation.

I don't want to reset necessarily, I think it is pretty soon. However, I have certainly increased my Squat 1rm and I guess there is no shame in a reset, if it must be done.

I have a week to figure it out, but right now I'm thinking high bar squats and a reset may be worth a try. 1 problem is I have no idea how to high bar....

Thanks Jim.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #308
BigJosh
Max Brawn

I want you guys to know, I really appreciate your help and advice.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #309
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Lower back issues suck, best to get that form issue sorted out asap....we want you reaching 400 squat .... I usually work out alone too. Just bring something along to keep the phone upright so you can snap a vid, if you dont want to post it for all to see im sure Steve or Jim wouldn't mind you sending it to just them....i sure wouldn't mind....anything to help out ,
Another quick question, how much core work are you getting through in a week and when are you doing it? Are you just doing abs or is there direct lower back work in there? Perhaps switch squats to the start of the week when you are fresh or have had most recovery time?

Rip has a nice video out about bar position, ill pm you the link .

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #310
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I worked through the same thing with forward lean about a year ago. Got me beat up pretty bad from not correcting it but instead just adding weight to thr bar.

My suggestion is to put your ego aside, and when you think or calculate your squat-max, think of a weight that you can do without breaking your form. Good luck bud!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote