Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #61
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think you're in a great place to be pulling singles. Unfortunately I stalled for a couple years when I should have been doing them, or at least work at 85% plus.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #62
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think you're in a great place to be pulling singles. Unfortunately I stalled for a couple years when I should have been doing them, or at least work at 85% plus.
The challenge now is going to be keeping me from getting too agressive and bombing out. I have this self imposed goal of a 500 pound deadlift by next July 27, my 50th birthday. I've been chewing on the math and the progression. If all goes well, it will be close. That's 14 months straight of training without an injury, or getting busy, or lazy. Part of me wants to bump the deads by 15 or 20 pounds the next couple of cycles to put me ahead of the curve. But part of me wants to play it conservative and let 'er rip next Spring/Summer.

Thursday, 5/24/12

Workout 1.3.4

Overhead Press (alternated w/ chinups)
45x5
55x5
65x5
80x5
90x3
105x5

Chinups (between sets of OHP)
BWx1x5 - Two weeks ago I couldn't do one chinup.

Superset
Dips
BWx10
BWx8
BWx7

DB Curls
30x12x2
30x8

EZ Bar Tricep Extentions
65x12x3

Next up...deload

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #63
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just take my advice when it comes to singles and only do what you feel like on any given day. Even one single at 85% is better than nothing.

Have a good weekend Val.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #64
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Just take my advice when it comes to singles and only do what you feel like on any given day. Even one single at 85% is better than nothing.

Have a good weekend Val.
Good. I'll keep that in mind. Have yourself a great weekend too. Behave, and lift smart.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #65
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Sunday, 5/27/12

Workout 1.4.1

Cycle 1 - Deload

Squat
45x5
110x5
135x5
165x5

Superset

Leg Press
300x8x2

Prone Leg Curl
90x8x2

Not much to report. Gonna be a quiet week with deload and all. I'm thinking about going back to school. I almost have the wife's blessing.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day everyone in the States, and my friends serving overseas!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #66
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Tuesday, 5/29/12

Cycle 1 Deload

Workout 1.4.2

Kind of a yawner of a session, as most deload sessions are. I originally toyed with the notion of skipping the first few deloads being as the weights are so puny. But creature of disciplined structure that I am, I went ahead and did it as prescribed. My body will thank me five cycles from now.

BP (alternated with BW Chinups)
45x5
65x5
80x5
100x5

BW Chinups (between sets of BP)
1x3

Superset
Single Arm DB BP
45x8x2

Pendlay Row
150x8x2

I've been thinking that the single arm DB BP has about run its course for now. I've been asked a couple of times lately about my reasoning for doing them. Simple. They throw me off balance, thereby forcing me to plant my feet and drive with my legs. They also force me to keep shoulders retracted and back tight. I think I might jettison these for the time being. I saw one cat the other day doing defecit BPs with a cambered, or horseshoe bar. Since I seem to be weakest right off the chest, I might start putting those in for rep work at 40, 50, 60%. Maybe pyramid 5x10. The other thing I could do too is just plain ol' DB BP. I've got a week or so to think on it.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #67
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

How low were his hands coming on the deficits?

Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #68
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
How low were his hands coming on the deficits?
That's just it. It was really quite comical. If the bar were to go straight across, it still would not have touched his chest. He wasn't even getting what I would call a legitamate rep with a straight bar. He asked me for a spot the other day, so I got to watch closely. I didn't say anything, because he "knows what he's doing," and we speak a different weightlifting language anyway. What's the point sometimes, ya know? So, to directly answer your question, his hands weren't even getting down to his chest.

Still, the idea struck me as useful, and worthy of at least a brief run. I don't know if I could get the bar all the way down either. There is probably a 6" deficit. Quite an extended ROM, if you ask me. I don't know quite how to describe the bar I would use except it kind of looks like this:
___/--\___

I think it might be OK for now like I said on a 40 50 60% effort for reps. I deadlift tomorrow. I'll do a trial with the empty bar just to see how it goes. Like I said before, I could probably accomplish the same thing with a pair of DB.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #69
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Thursday, 5/31/12

Cycle 1 Deload

Workout 1.4.3

Deadlift
135x5
170x5
205x5

Power Shrug - Kinda lost my mojo on this one tonight. The rhythm just wasn't there.
135x5
225x5
315x5

DB Rows - Real light. Just getting ready to introduce them into my next cycle.
45x8

Deficit BP - Just for kicks, I futzed around with this move. I think it will work. Surprizingly, I had enough ROM to get the cutout portion of the bar all the way down with no undue strain on my shoulders. I might use this for 40, 50, 60% rep work as a finisher.
45x6
100x5

Oldest daughter had a band concert at school this afternoon. Dad was really proud. Mom was too. My wife just so happens to be my daughter's band teacher. This year was the first year we've had kids in band. It probably won't be the last either, because the other two girls both have instruments picked out.

That's all for now. I'll OHP either Saturday or Sunday. That will end Cycle 1 of this current 531.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #70
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
That's just it. It was really quite comical. If the bar were to go straight across, it still would not have touched his chest. He wasn't even getting what I would call a legitamate rep with a straight bar. He asked me for a spot the other day, so I got to watch closely. I didn't say anything, because he "knows what he's doing," and we speak a different weightlifting language anyway. What's the point sometimes, ya know? So, to directly answer your question, his hands weren't even getting down to his chest.
Bizarre on so many different levels, but probably good he wasn't going deep. That would be a good way to destroy the shoulders.

Quote:
Oldest daughter had a band concert at school this afternoon. Dad was really proud. Mom was too. My wife just so happens to be my daughter's band teacher. This year was the first year we've had kids in band. It probably won't be the last either, because the other two girls both have instruments picked out.
What are they playing?

My eldest still plays the cello. Youngest is choosing soon. Hoping she doesn't go with violin. Every girl picks violin, it seems.