Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
With shrugs, some of us have caught the bug and started to do Rippetoe shrugs. They might be worth taking a look at. They are basically a rack pull with a power shrug. About 7:45 in the video Ripp gets after them.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid...ell-shrug.html
Very interesting. I can call it a day now. I learned something new. I might try that, although I tend to look like a goomba whenever I try to do explosive moves (snatch, clean, etc.). Maybe next time the gym is desserted.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well I guess a goomba is better than an oompa loompa.

Have a good weekend Val.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Have a good weekend Val.
It's been a very good weekend so far. Saturday morning I put together one of these.
Hockey Backstop Rebounder | Puckstopper | Hockey Goal | EZGoal

I got it on clearance over a month ago. I didn't pay full price. That is SO like me.

The frame went together in a matter of minutes. Attaching the net took a matter of minutes too; just many, many, more minutes. At one point I had a regulation size hockey goal in my living room. My wife was wondering how we'd get it into the garage (which was its intended destination for now). I scratched my head, feigning a ship-in-a-bottle moment. Then announced a repeal of my "no more hockey in the house" rule. Then I slid the goal directly in front of the TV and told the kids to have at it. Well it wasn't too much longer before I had to show the Mrs. that simply by pulling a few pins, the whole thing folds up into a 6 foot by 4 foot by 6 inch frame. Sturdy as all get out when fully assembled, but easy to stow and reassemble.

I bought it mainly for the 9 year old to practice her shooting over the summer, and to get some work in on passing, shooting, and playing the puck as a goaltender. Our local hockey association has a voluntary 5000 puck challenge during the off season. The notion being to shoot 100 pucks a day, five days a week for 10 weeks. The challenge for her is to get good at it in full goalie gear too.

Anyway, I got it mainly for the 9 year old, but the 4 year old has shown a great interest in hockey too. She technically can't start until next winter, but she's already skating and hopefully will get good at shooting before then.

Lifted weights this afternoon.

Saturday, 5/5/12

Workout 1.1.4

Using the conventional 5-3-1 format for overhead presses. No heavy single training for this lift...yet.

Overhead Press
45x5
50x5
60x5
70x5
80x5
90x7

Lat Pulldown (between sets of OHP)
125x8
125x8
125x7
125x5
125x5
125x4

Superset
BW Dips 7x3
DB Curls 30x10, 30x7, 30x5

EZ Curl Tricep Ext. 65x11, 65x8x2

I came back home and decided to mow the lawn. The 4 year old wanted to play hockey in the garage, so I got her set up with the shooting board and goal. It takes me just over an hour to mow the lawn. I don't know how many buckets of pucks my daughter shot, but she shot the whole time. Proud parent moment.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #24
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Nice work man!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Wish I had that as a kid.

Quote:
Our local hockey association has a voluntary 5000 puck challenge during the off season. The notion being to shoot 100 pucks a day, five days a week for 10 weeks. The challenge for her is to get good at it in full goalie gear too.
How is her motivation?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Nice work man!
Thank you, swede!

Quote:
Wish I had that as a kid.

How is her motivation?
Both girls seem motivated. I don't really expect the 9 year old to complete all 5000 shots. She seems overwhelmed by the number 5000, and can't seem to grasp the "small bites" factor. For now though, she's eager. She wants to start tomorrow. She's reluctant to try it with the goalie stick because there is some crosshandedness involved (she's a natural righty, while the goalie stick puts her left hand as the forehand). We'll probably start her out at a 60/40 split and see how she likes it. The crosshandedness bit is all rather confusing, but it comes about because she naturally catches with her left hand. A pretty normal arrangement for most goalies. We tried experimenting with some equipment so she could shoot right handed, but she didn't like it one bit.

Otherwise, she loves hockey, especially goaltending. We spent an hour or so this afternoon at the rink working on skating technique (in leg pads). And this is something SHE wanted to do. The goalie coach at Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep School has some Saturday skill sessions that we can go to. It's only an hour away, so what the heck? Incedentally, Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins) went to Shattuck-St. Mary's, as did Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks), and Zach Parise (New Jersy Devils). In fact Crosby's little sister is currently a goalie there. And Martin Brodeaur (New Jersy Devils) has three sons there.

The 4 year old will probably shoot 5000 pucks this week. She's not on the program. I'm just tickled that she is able to skate, pass, and shoot already. Like I said, she doesn't even officially start until next Fall/Winter. She'll be way ahead of the rest of the 4 and 5 year olds. It might even get her bumped up a level.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Funny how kids fool you. I've been playing soccer with my son ever since he could walk, but he couldn't care less. My daughter who's younger and was always in the way back then, is now the silly athlete. She's Mia Hamm at 3.

Life is what it is. I've realized that is true for me too. I want what I want, but life will give what it gives.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Otherwise, she loves hockey, especially goaltending. We spent an hour or so this afternoon at the rink working on skating technique (in leg pads). And this is something SHE wanted to do.
That's excellent. Always nice to see them find something they are interested in doing that doesn't involve Facebook or TV. My daughter has taken an interest in powerlifting, of all things.

Goalie is such a great position. I imagine it's like catcher....important position but no one wants to do it.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
That's excellent. Always nice to see them find something they are interested in doing that doesn't involve Facebook or TV. My daughter has taken an interest in powerlifting, of all things.
Isn't it cool when the wee ones find their "thing?" It makes it very easy to "train them up in the way they should go..." (Proverbs 22:6). The biblical reference suggests to give our children instruction according to how THEY are suited, and according to THEIR abilities, and personalities. And it is also cool when they see something Mom or Dad are already doing and want to do it themselves. With your daughter, you've got yourself a bit of a challenge at first, but in a couple of years, you'll have a solid training partner.

Quote:
Goalie is such a great position. I imagine it's like catcher....important position but no one wants to do it.
I've learned that goaltending is a very cerebral position. Quite a bit of guile goes into it. Not to deminish the athletic side of it. It is VERY demanding athleticly, but on top of being a skillful skater, you have to have an understanding of the game, and be able to anticipate game situations. I think THAT is the big attraction for my daughter, and for me for that matter. If I would have had opportunity for hockey as a child, that's probably the position I would have selected.

As far as no one wanting to do it, there were 9 or 10 kids who tried it out this past season in our in-house program. By the final game day, Sarah and one other boy were the only ones who wanted to suit up. So out of about 40 kids, 25% wanted to try it, and only two stuck it out.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #30
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Tuesday, 5/8/12

Workout 1.2.1

Squat
45x5
110x5
135x5
165x5
175x5
205x5
235x7

Superset
Leg Press - 400x8x3
Prone Leg Curl - 90x10x3