MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Hey Mike, I'm in two minds about it. Although 60-65% is also about where my BS to FS ratio is I'm not sure how useful a comparison is for Powerlifters. You will and should be more posterior dominant anyway, so in my mind whatever you use for FS as long as you're progressing it shouldn't matter.

I suppose the counter argument is, if you get the form right, you use more weight which is better. So I don't really know?

2) It would be helpful if I pressed faster.

Interesting stuff. Some type of tricep extension will become a staple for me over the coming months and I'll see how I respond to that.
Thanks buddy. I am progressing, so I should probably shut up, but I wonder if there is a flaw in there in my thinking/training, I can't help wondering if there is a flaw. I feel I should be stronger, but there you go. That's the business we're in.

The thing that really struck me is the speed of lifts thing. I lift fast. If I can get the bar moving, I can lift it period, I have no sticking point once I put serious pressure on the bar moving where I want it to go.

But I have been reading about "time under tension" increasing overall strength and power by being under stress all the way eccentric and concentric for decent time, etc. So, slower eccentrics and greater strength gains, etc.

Am I cheating myself? I seem to be able to grow strengthwise with speed for now, but should I be eyeing my time under tension too? Or should I just be myself and let the chips fall where they may? Should I drop weight and increase time under load in order stimulate more growth? Or is that apples and oranges? I want to squat 405, bench 315, deadlift 505 before I die. I'm willing to be patient, but not stupid.

Let me know what you think.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #502
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Thanks man. I really enjoying our training talk and feel like I learnt a lot. I am very analytical when it comes to lifting and I try to keep an open mind which I think helps. As for the hair, I figured that your grey cancelled my bald so I called it a draw

@Mike - Your question on TUT. I think you are looking at it the wrong way. I lift fast but when the weight gets heavy, I slow at sticking points and grind the rep a bit more. Don't try to artificially up your TUT by lifting slower, add more weight or accommodating resistance to make it slower. Then you'll get stronger.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #503
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Good questions Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
But I have been reading about "time under tension" increasing overall strength and power by being under stress all the way eccentric and concentric for decent time, etc. So, slower eccentrics and greater strength gains, etc.
I'm going to assume what you have read has come from people who try to pass themselves off as researchers. I'll tell you this the actual research is *relatively* certain on one thing; 'tension' is the primary stimulus for muscle growth and strength gain.

However that has been taken and spun around by these hucksters who claim 'time under tension' is the key. That however, is a misrepresentation of the research and the worse offenders are not scientists in even the loosest sense of the word. Time under tension ignores the actual intensity of the stimulus, favouring long time under the weight. But why? I'll tell you why, because it *feels* harder and that really is about as scientific as these guys get. For muscle growth BOTH are needed, of course you need to lift the ****ing weight but the weight needs to be heavy enough as well!

Quote:
Am I cheating myself? I seem to be able to grow strengthwise with speed for now, but should I be eyeing my time under tension too? Or should I just be myself and let the chips fall where they may? Should I drop weight and increase time under load in order stimulate more growth? Or is that apples and oranges? I want to squat 405, bench 315, deadlift 505 before I die. I'm willing to be patient, but not stupid.
The results of a recent Meta-Analysis (study of numerous studies) showed that EITHER volume at around 80% OR lower volume at 90%+ both worked very well for muscular growth. So both can work.

Inevitably what happens is that your body will adapt unless you keep the stimulus varied. So a high volume advocate might experience gains switching to a low volume routine. Also a low volume advocate might experience gains from a high volume routine. Eventually everything stalls as your body accommodates to the workload, the reasons why are varied and possibly uncovered but what is certain is that 'tension' is the key and you WILL need to switch things around periodically. Or you can do what I do and vary the types of stimulus over a given week and tie that into a longer term plan which varies stimulus on a weekly basis.

It might sound complicated and I am well aware that it has become almost fashionable to say *keep it simple* but no-one got to be as strong as they could without actually thinking about it.

Last edited by Fazc; 07-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #504
dundee
Brawn
Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5 Points: 272, Level: 5
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 6+ years
Fav Exercise: whichever is weakest
Fav Supp: food h2o protein creatine
dundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Here it is, MaB Meet Up:

I love training videos! Strong lifting mate!

Training log for APF-AAPF Orlando Barbell Southern States: 10/27/12
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #505
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I love training videos! Strong lifting mate!
Cheers mate!

Heading out to train now; I'm feeling a little sluggish but the plan is to hit 140kg for 10 doubles in the box squat and 170kg for probably around another 10 singles in the Deadlift.

The plan is to wave the Squat and Deadlift volume as recommended here:

Quote:
This day is focused more on the squat. I enjoy the fantastic feeling of doing three-week waves. Iíll also use two-week waves from time to time as well. I donít get all crazy about the percentages, but a good rule is to use about 50 percent for week one, give or take 5 to 10 percent and use that as a starting place. So a wave may look like this if you squat 500 lbs, increasing the bar weight by about 3 to 5 percent each week.

Example:

Week 1: 50 percent 250 lbs., plus a green band for 10 sets of two.

Week 2: 55 percent at 275 lbs., plus a green band, for eight sets of two, working up in weight to a heavy double.

Week 3: 60 percent at 300 lbs., plus a green band, for six sets of two, then work up using singles. Go to 90 percent and do not miss!

It is a common practice to do eight to 10 sets of one to two reps on speed deadlifts after dynamic squats. The percents would normally be about 60 to 80 percent depending on how fast you can move the weights.
How We Roll at Super Training
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #506
dundee
Brawn

dundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good postsdundee has made some good posts

I wouldn't argue with Mark Bells training method! High volume through many sets of low reps is a proven method... It's brutal, but effective.

Go hit it hard!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #507
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Always nice to see people from on here meet each other and have a monster session.
Kneecapping is so 1960s Faz

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #508
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I wouldn't argue with Mark Bells training method! High volume through many sets of low reps is a proven method... It's brutal, but effective.
It is brutal! Yeah Bell know's a bunch, I like his presentation style, it's very accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Always nice to see people from on here meet each other and have a monster session.
Kneecapping is so 1960s Faz
Lol

Friday 13th July

Speed Squats (briefs) - 20kg x 12, 12, 60kg x 3, 100kg x 3

140kg/308lbs x 10 doubles

Speed Conventional Pulls (briefs) - 60kg x 1, 100kg x 1, 140kg x 1

170kg/374lbs x 10 singles

Inverted Rows - BW x 10, 10, 10

Banded Abs - 2 Blue's x 15, 15, 15

Good session. The briefs make it difficult not to round the back by restricting my hips, I overcame that on most sets to a suffiicent degree by just arching hard and pushing my knees out. Most of them were good fast sets.

Deadlifts could use some feedback for anyone watching, I don't pull Conventional too often and I was trying to get more of a rounded upper back. The latter sets without the belt allowed me to get into a better position.

Video to come shortly.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #509
dundee
Brawn

Your deads were fine. As long as you hips are below your shoulders you're OK.

If you want me to be picky... before you lift, pull against the bar to set yourself up. I think of it as pulling my butt down and chest up. Do not drop your butt excessively though or you will lose power. It looks like a couple inches is all you need.

As far as intentionally rounding your upper back... I don't that. I do let my shoulders roll forward a little, but I do not intentionally round my upper back. I'm not KK... he does that... everyone is different.

Anyway there was nothing horrible about your form, so I would not worry about it.

Also that is a very cute bunny

Old 07-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #510
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Good work. Looking at the box squats you do a great job of forcing the knees out and look like you're tracking nicely and spreading the floor. Shin angle is vertical, perhaps a little past which is what we were talking about. Watch your upper back though as you come up off the box. You improve in the later sets but I feel like you could arch harder back against the bar. This would make the movement shorter and more efficient. Hope this makes sense.

As we both know I am really in no position to critique your deadlift form. Watch mine later What I would say is that in the later sets, you are doing a much better job of pulling yourself down to the bar and loading the briefs.

Great work big man.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote