Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #101
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Massive squat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #102
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm going to look into this IF more now that you mentioned that, Fazc. I do gravitate toward the fridge due to time of day rather than actually being hungry. Interesting. I wonder how this affects blood sugar. I've always heard that you're better off keeping blood sugar fairly even. I would think (but don't know) IF would drastically drop and then spike your sugar.
Yeah, it'd be great if you take a look into it. Like I said, and as you know, I rarely talk about nutrition apart from *eat more/less and get sufficient protein*. But I'm finding the whole thing very interesting and more importantly when I put it into practice and I find it comes very naturally.

Regarding the blood sugar thing, in my family we have very little prior history of problems in that regard, so I probably wouldn't be able to empathise fully but I have had no blood sugar issues whatsoever so far. He talks about this quite a lot for people specifically in your position who have blood sugar levels, from what I've read and seen of him on youtube it boils down to two things:

1) The feeling of being faint, confused etc is a psychological response to the cessation of food intake. He talks about *sugar addiction* and for those who withdraw from sugar completely as you would in a fast exhibit some of the same symptons as any addict would when coming off his stimulus.

2) Blood sugar does actually go down, right down after some 18-20 hours but that's not necessarily a bad thing and when you eat it doesn't spike up anywhere near as high as on a regular eating schedule. If you can imagine the curve on a graph, the highest peak when you eat would probably not even be as high as the lowest point on that of an obese person's daily insulin fluctuations. So overall you reap the benefits of much flatter levels of insulin across the day.

However take that for what it's worth, he makes a good case but as with anything it's best to exercise caution. I'm quite happy to experiment with this on myself but if it doesn't stick then I'll have no problem moving back to something more regular.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #103
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Its always good to rev up the old metabolism!

Rest up Fazc during the light week!
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #104
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I'm really interested to see how this experiment works for you. You may be right about benefits of fasting but since most of us have been almost indocrinated into the way of thinking whereby we hit a 'catabolic' state after not eating for 4 hours, there is a real fear of fasting during a weight training program. Berkham et al are adamant that it helps and he can almost deadlift 3 x bw (I think) so it's not going badly for him!

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #105
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I'm really interested to see how this experiment works for you. You may be right about benefits of fasting but since most of us have been almost indocrinated into the way of thinking whereby we hit a 'catabolic' state after not eating for 4 hours, there is a real fear of fasting during a weight training program. Berkham et al are adamant that it helps and he can almost deadlift 3 x bw (I think) so it's not going badly for him!
Yeah Berkhan has certainly done well for himself with it. I'm leaning more towards a combination of his Leangains approach with some Brad Pilon style 24 hour fasts thrown in once or twice a week.

It was that which caused a 'bad fast' yesterday. I fasted from sunday night to monday night but it was a much rougher fast than the previous two. I felt more tired and food was harder to eat while breaking the fast, I felt a little sick. Probably because I did 2 x 24 hour fasts the few days and this was a little too soon. I ate more freely today as a sort of a 'cheat' day.

I think in the future a maximum of 2 x 24 hour fasts evenly spread across the week would work better. One benefit is that it really does reset your appetite, I don't have much of an issue cutting calories down a further 500 a day from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Its always good to rev up the old metabolism!

Rest up Fazc during the light week!
Thanks Mab, I figured I may as well take this time to get leaned up!

Training update to come.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #106
Fazc
Max Brawn

Wednesday 9th May

Bench Press (raw) - 20kg x 12, 40kg x 4, 60kg x 3, 80kg x 3

100kg/220lbs x 10
120kg/264lbs x 6

Chins -

BW x 10
BW+20kg x 6

Squats - Skipped.

Where did that come from?! I don't think I've been quite that strong raw in quite a few months. Chins were also good. Squats caused a flare up of the lower back pain from last week. I'll be alright with some gear, so I should be ok next week, but this didn't feel good on my back raw.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #107
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Must have passed my lower back issues on to you. Mine are finally starting to heal.

Nice (unexpected) benching. Give me some of that mojo.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #108
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Nice benching mate, great work.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #109
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

You skipped squats? You sir have lost your man card

Just kidding

Nice work and the chins are very good indeed. Imagine how much you'll be able to chin when you get down to 183

I wouldn't have thought fasting more than once a week would be a good idea initially but I'm a million miles from being an expert. Considering a fast tomorrow myself actually as I have no training. My wife is a Muslim so she fasted for a week there recently, only eating between 6-12pm each day which was basically 1-2 meals a day. Boy was she angry by the end of it

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #110
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

nice benching numbers Fazc

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote