Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Your attitude is infectious, Chill. Thank you!
No problem. I got it started, probably wont get to post it until tomorrow, though.

Hey Jen, helping, and being a team is what its about.

You see Jen, and I mean this with all of my heart. You start acting with passion, and joy in spirit, you will always be near it, and this tends to "saturate yourself" with the goals one seeks and unclogs the arteries with undying motivation and spirit.

Your arteries will never harden, and your heart will always pump what you need.

And this is you.

Peace and happiness to you.

I will get this finished in the late AM...sorry for the delay, young lady.

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #162
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Found this on the net. Take it for whatever it is worth to you.

Not Holding your Breath

Many powerlifters will tell you that holding your breath, otherwise known as the Valsava manouver, is not only perfectly safe but actually necessary as it increases abdominal pressure and effective force transmission through your body, and thus gives you an advantage for big maximum effort lifts.

However, just because it can increase your lifts slightly doesnt mean it's perfectly safe or necessary. Elite athletes make compromises for performance, and in my opinion this is what powerlifters are doing. Holding your breath during weightlifting has been shown to increase blood pressure, intracranial pressure, and risk of aneurism and inner-ear fistulas (i.e. Blowing a hole in your inner ear... think instant severe vertigo and hearing loss).

The simple answer is of course, dont hold your breath. You might not be able to lift as much per lift, but if you're serious about lifting, you should know by now that the biggest rewards come with consistency and the target of slow, steady and sustainable gains. So keep breathing between reps. For certain exercises it's even beneficial to take a breath between reps and let your muscles temporarily relax, this really allows blood pressure to drop back down before the next repetition. To me, it's a common sense practice that I consider essential to lifelong strength training.

Injury Free Weightlifting
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #163
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Found this on the net. Take it for whatever it is worth to you.

Not Holding your Breath

Many powerlifters will tell you that holding your breath, otherwise known as the Valsava manouver, is not only perfectly safe but actually necessary as it increases abdominal pressure and effective force transmission through your body, and thus gives you an advantage for big maximum effort lifts.

However, just because it can increase your lifts slightly doesnt mean it's perfectly safe or necessary. Elite athletes make compromises for performance, and in my opinion this is what powerlifters are doing. Holding your breath during weightlifting has been shown to increase blood pressure, intracranial pressure, and risk of aneurism and inner-ear fistulas (i.e. Blowing a hole in your inner ear... think instant severe vertigo and hearing loss).

The simple answer is of course, dont hold your breath. You might not be able to lift as much per lift, but if you're serious about lifting, you should know by now that the biggest rewards come with consistency and the target of slow, steady and sustainable gains. So keep breathing between reps. For certain exercises it's even beneficial to take a breath between reps and let your muscles temporarily relax, this really allows blood pressure to drop back down before the next repetition. To me, it's a common sense practice that I consider essential to lifelong strength training.

Injury Free Weightlifting
You are going to find 100 things that tell you the opposite of both our opinions. From my experience if your not holding your air in, your going to pull a muscle at some point. I will take my chances with an exploding ear for a few extra lbs

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #164
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have to stay tight during heavy eccentrics, and a vital part of that for me is holding my breath in. All I can speak is for myself.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #165
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoriRB View Post
Damn I would die lol......guess I need to do more cardio , keep up the good work on the elliptical
LOL -- no you wouldn't! Just plug into Netflix like me
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #166
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Great work and stop shaming us with your cardio shenanigans

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #167
Jen
Max Brawn

Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Great work and stop shaming us with your cardio shenanigans
LOL
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #168
Jen
Max Brawn

Session #20!

Squat
45 2X10
95 2X5
135 2X5
150 5X5 PR!

Over head press
45 2X10
65 2X5
75 3X3(fail), 1X4 (fail), 1X3 (fail) grrrrrrr

Deadlift
135 1X5
185 1X5
205 1X3
215 1X3 (fail -- I wanted 5, but Im still happy with 3 ) PR!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #169
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Nice work Jen! Big squats and those deadlifts are coming along. More reps next time!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #170
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You did great Jen. Next time get 4 reps. +1 is the goal.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote