Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #311
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Sweet deadlifting PR. Great job Mike.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #312
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

The extra day worked out good. Great work and nice PR

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #313
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Thanks, Mark an Kit! I'm excited about things lately. I'm getting my form in place, all my lifts are going up regularly, I got a little problem I need to fix, but not a big deal and more on that later in this post.

Thanks, BtB! I might be weird, but the small jumps really help me. My problems are more with confidence and form than conditioning or anything else. So, smaller jumps, I get more work with form at heavier weights and at the same time approach the bar with more confidence because it's only a couple more small plates than I just did previously. I've made big jumps before and the sudden heaviness of the bar dents my confidence and my form crumbles right after that. So, that outweighs any benefit I might get from being "fresher" at my heaviest set. At least for now anyway. Maybe when I'm rocking a lot more weight, it'll be different. We'll see.

OK, today went well, but I can smell real trouble down the road. The session went well, but starting right afterward, I could feel my shoulders and low back starting to ache. I think this 5 day scheme is not letting my joints recover enough.

I'll be able bench and squat tomorrow, so this is not something horrible. But as the cycle goes on I believe this will get worse as it did last cycle forcing me into barely finishing the last session and needing a week completely off to feel good again.

Anyway, Friday, cycle 4, week 1

Warmups: Circuit: 3x 1 min. Jump Rope, 3x 5 KB Lateral Two handed Throws, and 3x 5x 95 Thrusters*

P. Snatch:
3x 1x 95
3x 3x 85 (Hang Snatch, no hook)

P. Clean and Press:
5x 125, 130, 140 (C+P all reps)

Push Press:
5x 150

Inverted Row:
5x 8x BW

Step Ups:
3x 10x 25

Well, this 5 day plan was a bit ambitious and while I am handling it decently, the joint pain, especially in my shoulders is I think something to be concerned about going forward. It's not serious now and I'll be fine to bench tomorrow, but I can only see this getting worse as I keep adding weight. If you think about it, my shoulders get stressed Mon with squat and bench, tues with snatches, wed with OHP, Thurs with push press, and Fri with bench and squats again. Too much without adequate recovery time I'm beginnning to realize.

I also think I need to reconsider my warmups as being too stressful too, and contributing to the overall problem.

So, I'm going to cut back to the basics M-W-F only (Mon-Squat and Bench and Row, Wed-OHP and Lat pulls and Deadlifts, Fri-Bench and Squat and Row with some core work on two of those days) for the rest of this cycle and see how that feels on the shoulder and low back. I think the day off in between workouts will alleviate a lot of the stress on joints. We'll see.

If it dramtically improves my joint problems as I think it will and I continue to keep progressing the main lifts as I think it will, then I'll start figuring out how to add in some conditioning and accessory stuff, as well as some fun stuff too down the road.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 08-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #314
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
OK, today went well, but I can smell real trouble down the road. The session went well, but starting right afterward, I could feel my shoulders and low back starting to ache. I think this 5 day scheme is not letting my joints recover enough.

I'll be able bench and squat tomorrow, so this is not something horrible.
Sorry to read this Mike. Take care. My C&Ps were progressing beautifully, till I inadvertently messed up my left delt while dipping, which has resulted in cutting out OHPs till the shoulder improves.

Strangely, benching has been affected to a relatively lesser extent and CGBP remains no problem. Lately (well, last 2 days ), I have started supplementing with a couple of fish oil capsules - they have helped me in the past, and hopefully will help my joints this time too. Fish oil and a bit of deload end of this month is going to be my approach to my own joint issues.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #315
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Going good Mike ... give our body some time to recover ... Only you can judge what is best for you ... As kitarpyar says try using some fish oil or post workout thing .. Hope that will help you ...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #316
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
My problems are more with confidence and form than conditioning or anything else. So, smaller jumps, I get more work with form at heavier weights and at the same time approach the bar with more confidence because it's only a couple more small plates than I just did previously.
Nothing wrong with that Mike. Lifting is 90% confidence for me right now. It's something we have to address and train for. Glad to see you doing it now, because it doesn't get easier.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #317
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Huge amount of work going on here. Those cleans alone woud have finished me off for the week.

Well done on the deadlifts.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #318
MikeM
Max Brawn

MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

HA HA! Thanks, Tann! Yeah, very excited about deadlifts in the coming months.

Thanks, gents! Definitely going to take care of the shoulders. I had real problems a couple years ago which didn't allow me to bench at all. No chance I want to let that happen again.

Took it easy today. Just did the required, nothing more. Shoulders ached a little, but no big deal. Somehow, I picked up a slight hamstring strain though, so didn't push the squats either.

Saturday, cycle 4, week 1

Warmups: 3x 1 min Jump Rope ss w/ 5x 2 Pullups

Bench:
5x 190, 200, 215

DB Rows:
5x 10x 60

Squat:
240x 7, 6, 5 (reps not met, stay here)

Lots of stretching and band shoulder stuff. Left hamstring alone, seems to work best for that. Nothing serious, just a tweak of some sort.

There you go. Back to basics next week.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #319
MikeM
Max Brawn

OK, the back to the basics tour begins this cycle. Limited warmups, just the main lifts, limited recovery stuff afterward. We'll see how it goes.

Monday, Cycle 4, week 2

Warmups: Skateboard rows! My cable machine is on the ground, but I wanted to use some leg too for warming up, so I played around for 5 min with my butt on a skateboard. Good times as LtL would say. , also some shoulder, hip, and leg stuff.

Squat:
warming up a bit differently, so listing them today:
w/up: 2x 10x bar,
5x 95,
2x 5x 135
3x 185,
2x 205,
1x 225
Work sets:
3x 245, 260
5x 275 (1 more rep would have been a PR, but hamstring is still not quite right, better safe than sorry)

Bench:
w/up: 3x 10x bar,
5x 95,
2x 5x 135,
3x 155
3x 190
Work sets:
210x 7, 6, 7 (ties PR, reps made, but butt up on last rep, so stay here)

BB Row:
155x 9, 8, 7 (reps not met, stay here)

Side Bends:
3x 12x 75

Hammers:
3x 10x 25

Back yoga and a little stretching.

The idea behind the warmups is much more reps with very light weigths and less reps with intermediate weights. Normally, I'd have hit 10's then 5s all the way up the ladder.

There you go. Good day, bummed there was no PRs, but some days are like that.

Only three workouts this week, so nothing tomorrow. We'll see if that solves the joint problems. Eventually, I will add in some athletic stuff for some conditioning on the off days.

Now the Olympics are over, etc. I should be able to catch up with all you guys and see what kind of mischief you've been up to.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #320
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Only three workouts this week, so nothing tomorrow. We'll see if that solves the joint problems. Eventually, I will add in some athletic stuff for some conditioning on the off days.
Hope you can find the time. I always talk about it, but never get around to it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote