Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine
Default Hepburn Method

Came across the Hepburn method, and love the simplicity of it. I really just need something easy to follow with little thinking involved.

Going to start it in 2 weeks, so until then, I can ponder if I should follow the way it's written or change things up.

One of the main things I was thinking of changing was the deadlift frequency. Not sure if i can handle 2x a week and do both the 8x2 and 3x8....I was thinking doing deadlift 8x2 and pullups 3x8 or vice versa.

Other than that, it seems pretty solid and I need something to stick to for a year before changing my mind.

I cut down my maxes a bit more than 20%...more like 30-35%, just to ensure I can handle the volume. Maybe in 3 months I will retest maxes and then reset the numbers.

My first 4 weeks weight's will be:
Squat 250
Bench 250
Deadlift 315
Seated press 150

I know what you are thinking: "why is the squat 250?" good question. I have lots of mobility issues that I am working through and figured I should cut down my max squat a lot so I can do it properly without trying to pad my ego.

If anyone has any advice on this routine they would like to share, please feel free.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Welcome to the board Bill. Im subbed and will be following closely.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Going to start it in 2 weeks, so until then, I can ponder if I should follow the way it's written or change things up.

One of the main things I was thinking of changing was the deadlift frequency. Not sure if i can handle 2x a week and do both the 8x2 and 3x8....I was thinking doing deadlift
I would do deadlifts 1x a week. 2x can be hard at 8x3. A 4 week cycle works out well when deadlifting once per week, if you want to cycle volume. Like this:

--Week one 5x3
--Week two 6x3
--Week three 7x3
--Week four 8x3

Week 5 you add 10 pounds and drop the volume. This adds 130 pound to your deadlift in a year.

Perhaps after a couple of years it might make sense to consider deadlifting 2x a week, but even them I would recommend a week off every third week just for recovery.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Basically you want to build strength and conditioning over time.

I also wouldn't add in 3x8's for deadlifts. I would prefer you do barbell or dumbbell rows. Or pullups. This is all my opinion, but it is based on a lot of deadlift experience. The deadlift is a unique lift and can be real taxing, so baby it a bit from the start.

Quote:
I cut down my maxes a bit more than 20%...more like 30-35%, just to ensure I can handle the volume.
Good idea. Start down and build up. Very wise.

Quote:
I know what you are thinking: "why is the squat 250?" good question. I have lots of mobility issues that I am working through and figured I should cut down my max squat a lot so I can do it properly without trying to pad my ego.
My only other advice would be to let us look at your squat form somewhere down the line, just to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Best of luck!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Bill
Max Brawn

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Welcome to the board Bill. Im subbed and will be following closely.
Thanks Gaspers. It's not the most exciting training, so you may want to check back in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would do deadlifts 1x a week. 2x can be hard at 8x3. A 4 week cycle works out well when deadlifting once per week, if you want to cycle volume. Like this:

--Week one 5x3
--Week two 6x3
--Week three 7x3
--Week four 8x3

Week 5 you add 10 pounds and drop the volume. This adds 130 pound to your deadlift in a year.

Perhaps after a couple of years it might make sense to consider deadlifting 2x a week, but even them I would recommend a week off every third week just for recovery.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Basically you want to build strength and conditioning over time.

I also wouldn't add in 3x8's for deadlifts. I would prefer you do barbell or dumbbell rows. Or pullups. This is all my opinion, but it is based on a lot of deadlift experience. The deadlift is a unique lift and can be real taxing, so baby it a bit from the start.
Sweet setup for the deadlift. I didn't even consider doing that. So on the 2nd day I am just doing the press and pullups; perhaps i will put rows in place of deads on the 2nd day each week

Quote:
My only other advice would be to let us look at your squat form somewhere down the line, just to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Best of luck!
Will do. Right now my hip flexors are super tight and causing all kinds of issues. Going to switch my desk at work to a standing model and along with my aggressive stretching routine, I should be fine in several months.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Im not the best either. We are all here to help each other.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Bill
Max Brawn

I was considering using an ssb for the squats....thoughts?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I was considering using an ssb for the squats....thoughts?
They will fight you a bit. Form is harder to keep and it can hit your lower back. Not telling you not to use them, but if you do expect a couple months for the body to get acclimated.

I use buffalo bar squats and it took 3-4 months to get used to them.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Bill
Max Brawn

3/6

After two-three weeks off, getting sick and not eating well, I finally got started. Lowered the weights a bit to get used to the volume and because of the prior couple of weeks. Will bump up to my planned started weights next month, or in a couple weeks depending on how I feel overall with the program

Squats
225 x 8 x 2
got easier as the sets went on and I loosened up

Bench
225 x 8 x 2

Squats
185 x 3 x 6
legs felt like jelly on the first set. guess the time between the first round of squats and benching did that.

Bench
185 x 3 x 6

Not a taxing workout. Had to push the pace as I was running late for work.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Great start Bill. Step one towards reaching your goals.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good work man, this program sounds like a manmaker - I like it!

In for the journey, smash it! (and welcome to MAB!)